Just got two cookbooks - question about difference

AmyS

I just got Well Fed and Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook.

I'm excited to try some of the recipes. I'm new to this whole way of eating, and have been having to look up general definitions/descriptions of the Paleo eating style just to understand what this is all about. I'm in the middle of my second Whole30, going to take a break from Christmas to New Year's, and then do a third one in January. Until now, I haven't really been cooking, just wilting greens, eating meat, adding avocados, stuff like that. It's been VERY tasty compared to my former eating habits which featured Starbucks mochas and barbecue chips as basic food groups. (I know. I know.) As you might imagine, any shift away from that way of eating toward a whole foods eating plan was going to be better than nothing, but this eating plan has been nothing short of phenomenal. And I'm finally ready to start actually cooking.

So - I do understand that while on Whole30 I'm not going to be looking at dessert treats or baked goods that I might find in an otherwise Paleo cookbook. Other than that, are there things I need to look out for? I don't see, in the EPFC, any use of sugar, dairy, grains, legumes...

Basically, what am I looking for as the difference between Paleo eating and Whole30 eating, when I look at these cookbooks (note that I do understand that Well Fed is Whole30 compliant)?

Thanks for any tips for a total beginner to this type of cooking!

Just make sure the ingrediants are compliant. We use Practical Paleo and there are a few recipes with maple syrup in them. I either omit the syrup or pass on the recipe while doing a W30. Watch for SWYPO recipes. I do make some of the pancake and muffin recipes for my kids. I am transitioning them to paleo eating and would rather have them eat a sweet potato pancake than Eggo waffles. I live to cook and considered myself quite proficient in the kitchen. Paleo eating has opened my eyes to all kinds of new things. I'm loving learning about new spice combos and making my own condiments.

I'm loving learning about new spice combos and making my own condiments.

This is me too! Both cookbooks you bought will help introduce you to the idea of spice flavored meals. Well Fed in particular opened up a whole new world to me. I was before very much a convenience cooker and now I've discovered how GREAT real food tastes--especially with the addition of wonderful spices and herbs.

Well Fed's chocolate chili makes a regular appearance in our house on weekends. My kids love it too!

Jenn explained it well--the difference between W30 and regular paleo is the use of sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc), sometimes dairy, and paleo-fying foods.

• Moderators

Do you know about VENN diagrams? The Whole30 is kind of a subset of Paleo. The Paleo world accepts some foods the Whole30 excludes, but the overlap is large.

There are only one or two recipes in Well Fed that are not Whole30-compliant.

I've never worked my way all the way through Well Fed. I got to about page 28 and was so inspired, I started developing new recipes based upon some minor thing Melissa said - basically, all the Skillet Roasted recipes on my site. Once upon a time, Melissa Joulwan asked me to develop a pressure cooker version of her carne asada recipe and I did. We talked about doing more, but never pursued it. I have made her chocolate chili in the pressure cooker lots of times.

To me the best part of following a cook book is being inspired to develop your own versions and adaptations.

This is me too! Both cookbooks you bought will help introduce you to the idea of spice flavored meals. Well Fed in particular opened up a whole new world to me. I was before very much a convenience cooker and now I've discovered how GREAT real food tastes--especially with the addition of wonderful spices and herbs.

Well Fed's chocolate chili makes a regular appearance in our house on weekends. My kids love it too!

Jenn explained it well--the difference between W30 and regular paleo is the use of sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc), sometimes dairy, and paleo-fying foods.

I love this - I was starting to really get into cooking a la Cook's Illustrated/Cook's Country/ATK when I moved and my kitchen shrank and my schedule changed. It has taken me over a year to begin to think about really cooking again and I look forward to this - thanks for the inspiring stories!

Do you know about VENN diagrams? The Whole30 is kind of a subset of Paleo. The Paleo world accepts some foods the Whole30 excludes, but the overlap is large.

There are only one or two recipes in Well Fed that are not Whole30-compliant.

I've never worked my way all the way through Well Fed. I got to about page 28 and was so inspired, I started developing new recipes based upon some minor thing Melissa said - basically, all the Skillet Roasted recipes on my site. Once upon a time, Melissa Joulwan asked me to develop a pressure cooker version of her carne asada recipe and I did. We talked about doing more, but never pursued it. I have made her chocolate chili in the pressure cooker lots of times.

To me the best part of following a cook book is being inspired to develop your own versions and adaptations.

Wow, this is awesome! I look forward to being inspired, oh yeah!

A VENN diagram is a way of looking at different but related sets of information. So, in this case, take the set of information that comprises a whole30--for simplicities sake, think of all the names of foods you can eat on a whole 30 as being inside a circle, that's your whole30 set. Now, think of a set that represents "Paleo" as it's described by one of the cookbook authors, and put that set of foods inside a different circle. Now imagine overlapping the two circles so that all the foods they share in common are in the overlap of the two circles.

Usually VENN diagrams end up with some areas of overlap, some areas in each set which do not, but I think in this case "Paleo" would include the whole of the whole30, meaning: some things qualify as paleo but are not whole 30 approved, but I can't think of any whole 30 approved items that wouldn't be considered paleo. You would have one big Paleo circle, with a smaller whole 30 circle totally inside it. Inside the smaller circle would be meat and veg and good fats. Outside the small circle (but still inside the big one) would be raw dairy, sweeteners, etc.

Archived