100 Days of Awesome "Whole 100" Group Log

Koneill12

Yeah, I figured out that if I get rid of the old appliances that I am not ever going to use (ancient and enormous bread machine, espresso machine, etc.) that I do have cabinet space for storage.

Sounds like a better idea than getting rid of a kid or two. ;0)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at a zoodle machine at my local organic market. Didn't want to spend $40 for an updated apple peeler. But when I saw the price they charge for premade zoodles, I wondered if I shouldn't go into the zoodle business. $4.99 for a pound of zoodles! A pound of zucchini costs $1.86? It takes less than two minutes to turn them into zoodles. I could charge $1 less and still make $60/hour. Hmmm.

I got mine from Woot for 12.95. I love how it makes the skinny strands or the wider more like fettucini shape. It does look a bit like an apple peeler/corer.

Wait..you can buy the zoodles premade? I have only seen those gross seaweed noodles.

Too bad our original poster isn't with us anymore. We could totally change the thread title to The Zoodle Chronicles for the last two weeks of y'all's Whole100.

The Zoodle Chronicals. Love that. Maybe we can ask Juzbo to subtitle the post 100 a zoodely title. By the time she gets back in town, we will have moved on to another obsession. :0)

Happy day 100 Juzbo!! Woo hop you made it! Enjoy your victory.

OK, I'm laughing my head off with the zoodle conversation,

;d

I have a machine too. I love it and let me tell you how many more veggies I eat with that thing!

Yeah, im so good with the zoodle chronicles. My machine does several thing. Bought it at a str EET fare and it has pyaid for itself several times over.

It makes me happy just talking about it!

Night all!

Linda

Eggplant mushroom curry recipe

Serves 4

Ingredients

5 small eggplants (you could use two large ones, but I find it much easier to make more or less of the recipe when using the small ones);

4 oz (1/4 lb) white mushrooms, quatered;

1 tbsp coconut oil, clarified butter or other paleo cookking fat;

2 green onions, finely chopped;

2 cloves garlic, minced;

1 red chili pepper (optional depending on how spicy you'd like the final dish to be);

½ tsp chili powder;

1 tsp ground cumin;

1 tsp ground coriander;

¼ tsp ground turmeric;

4 very ripe tomatoes, diced;

1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped;

1/3 cup coconut milk;

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;

Preparation

Preheat your oven to 400 F. While the oven heats up, wrap each eggplant in aluminum foil. Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes to an hour.

Remove the eggplants from the oven and let cool.

After the eggplants are cool enough to handle, cut them in half and spoon out the flesh. Discard the skin and keep the flesh in a bowl. Using a fork, break apart the flesh to ensure that there are no large chunks. Put aside for later use.

In a large skillet over a medium heat, saute garlic in the cooking fat. Allow it to cook for about two minutes, until fragrant.

Add the green onion, chili pepper and mushrooms to the skillet. Saute for about 5 minutes.

Add all the spices to the skillet. Stir well and cook for about 2 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender.

Add the eggplant puree, followed by the cilantro and coconut milk. Continue cooking for about 8 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend.

Serve on its own or over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.

P.S. Be sure to check out the Paleo Recipe Book. It's a cookbook I've created to help you cook the best food for your health. It contains over 370 Paleo recipes and covers absolutely everything you'll ever need.

This is from Paleo Diet Lifestyle. I have many Paleo Pinterest boards. You can follow me- Michelle Lobovits. If you do you will see that I have a board for paleo desserts. I have never baked anything ever that turned out good (before paleo). I have never tried to make a paleo dessert. I pin them just because. I think it's funny how many paleo desert recipes there are on Pinterest. They look great but I am certain if I made any of them they would taste like cardboard.

Yes, Susan, my organic market makes their own zoodles all day. They only put out a half dozen containers at a time, and when they are gone, they make more. It isn't something you can leave sitting in the case. I'm just amazed at the price, and they fly off the shelf. I'm too cheap to pay $5 for a pound of zucchini, no matter how it is sliced.

$12.95? That I would pay, but $40 was out of the question. I just spent $10 at Sur le Table for my manual one, but it has a straight peeler, and a potato eye thingy, woot woot.

I thought I'd be over the zoodle obsession by now, but it ain't happening. I know it is SWYPO for me, but I'm finding I can use them as a base for any of my favorite pasta dishes, unlike spaghetti squash, which has its place but is way too sweet to taste right in many dishes. And spaghetti squash takes way longer to prepare. Zoodles are an easy quick meal.

Last night while the zoodles were sweating, I sliced up 2 chicken breasts and sauteed them in garlic and olive oil, then added artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and some baby spinach. By the time that was done, I transferred it to a bowl and quick sauteed the zoodles in the pan with what was left of the flavorful oil. It took so little time, and it was colorful and delicious. And there's plenty of leftovers.

Thanks for the recipe, shelley. I still haven't made an Indian style curry, which was on my to-do list for the Whole100. This one might be it.

I have abandoned my quest to make a compliant sriracha sauce. Red jalapenos do not exist in this part of the country. I even tried to get my organic market to source some and they couldn't. So I am making do with TJ's Jalapeno Hot Sauce--red, ripened jalapenos, distilled vinegar, salt. Not quite the depth of flavor I'm looking for, more like a straight Tabasco, but it works, especially on my breakfast casserole with chopped avocado on top.

The dog ate the standing rib roast!!!!' Having important company for dinner tonight. I took out a standing rib roast from the freezer last night and went off to my inlaws for dinner. Came home and there were 4 ribs on the kitchen floor mThe dog ate the raw rib roast!!! And then to make matters worse she had diarrhea all over my new lime green carpet in the dining room. And she took a big blob of meat and ate it on my side of the bed. And i had to extricate that big blob of beef from her mouth. I keep kosher and today is Saturday and so I cannot replace the meat. I hope you are laughing-- I was crazy pissed off last night.

Solution-- professional carpet cleaner coming at 1. It will be cleaned or picked up. I am off to Costco where kosher meat is stocked--probably will have to be chicken. Not the right thing for these guests-- but I will get fancy with the apps and sides.

Mary-Ann. We love Cholula hot sauce. We put it on eggs and avocado in the morning.

Poo! I just wrote a long post and I lost it! What a wonderful post to wake up to this morning!

Shelly...I am laughing with you this morning! I would've crying with you yesterday, but I'm sure you will make something fantastic today

Ok, I need to admit this and this is the only place I feel safe enough to do so. I have never made zoodles. Ever. In fact I have bought zucchini twice and they have gone to waste because I never made them. I am so ashamed. I will make some today with my zucchini in my kitchen. (...hanging head in shame...). So I sweat them or something?

Happy 100 Juzbo!!!

Can I join this board? I am on my third day first timer! X

Welcome Hedgehog. We are wrapping up a W100. Please feel free to post here or ask any questions or just join in on the fun. :) You might also want to join a group who is also just starting so you can travel the journey with them day by day.

Oh, Shelley! Sounds like something my dogs would do. The curse of owning animals tall enough to counter surf. The worst that mine have done is eat 3/4 a pound of raw bacon when I left the room to answer the phone. Hope your dinner was wonderful anyway. Did you tell your guests?

Jess and juzbo, careful! You might join the ranks of the zoodle addicts.

Amy, is your zoodle addiction replacing your love affair with spaghetti squash, or is it in addition to?

Oh Shelley what a nightmare.

We were fostering a dog that had been starved. One day we got home to find that he had jumped on the counter and dragged open a bag holding about 3 lbs. Of raw white rice!! He ate ALL of it.

The aftermath was not pretty.

On the Zoodle front, I didn't know you should sweat them! I thought that was just eggplant.

I learn something new everyday from you!!

Happy Day 90!

Archived