Funny Taste

Sim1eats

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup greens and cabbage with coco oil and salt; an egg; 1/4 cup carnitas with pineapple, tea

Mid morning snack: RX bar, coffee

Lunch: 1/4 cup steak, 1/3 sweet potato, lots of lettuce, oil and vinegar

afternoon snack: half an epic bar, an egg, handful of carrots

Dinner: 1 cup roasted veggies with potatoes in it, large lamb patty, homemade ranch

Today:

I tried to have coffee with coco milk but it tasted so bad I threw it out

Breakfast: 1 cup potatoes with onions and peppers, an egg, 1/4 cup chicken, 1/2 cup arugal and a small beet with oil and vinagar

Mid morning snack: RX bar

Lunch: Avocado and half an epic bar

Typically I eat a mid morning snack at 10:30 and an afternoon snack at 3:30. If I dont my blood sugar drops and I can't see straight or focus. 

• Administrators

So...........you're really not eating enough overall which can give a terrible taste in the mouth which comes from the gut.  Out of curiosity, are you doing the Whole30 the way you would have done a traditional diet with measuring and restricting?

Please review the meal template in my signature below. Each meal should include protein that is 1-2 palms worth, 1-2 fat servings and 2-3 cups of veggies. The fact you are snacking twice a day is a good indicator you aren't eating enough. If you have to eat between meals, stick with a few bites of protein + fat (eg, hardboiled egg and guac, chicken thigh & mayo).  Eating large enough meals 4-5 hours apart (and small mini-meal if needed containing protein and fat) will allow your body to balance hormones and blood sugar. The ups and downs of blood sugar are a result of your body not being able to switch over to fat for energy. If you can follow the meal template, this will balance out and you won't have that problem anymore. 

I would stay away from RX bars and stay away from fruits alone while working towards fat adaptation. Also, these bars you're eating are only approved for emergencies (like stuck on a tarmac in a blizzard), not for meals or snacks. 

Eat more food, stick to the template, prioritize protein, fat and veggies. 

Interesting... so I've had a few times a taste of bitterness, usually in the first bite of a meal. First time was with a fresh cracked walnut, so I figured it's the walnut but it happened a few more times. With fresh avocado for sure. I don't remember all the food that gave me this bitter taste but I believe it's always at the beginning of a meal. I eat three times per day, mostly protein, fat and veggies. No snacking. I do include a piece or two f fresh fruits with my breakfast and sometime lunch but never at night. Anyone else has these transient bitter taste?

Got it! 

Beef up my meals with more veggies and cut out bars.

I guess I did get a little behind on food prep this week and was relying a little too heavy on quick solutions. 

I have never done a traditional diet- I was just guessing at the measurements of my food from the last few days. Typically under eating has never been an issue for me, but even as I was writing out what I had eaten I realized it was a little light. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk me through this!

And your quick response!!

• 1 year later...

I am on my 9 day and have the same metallic awful taste in my mouth.    I have had it for a few days.  I am not snacking and I am full after each meal.  Any other reason?  Anything to do to get rid of the taste?

• Moderators

As the previous moderator said, this can be a symptom of going too low carb.  Are you eating at least a fist sized serving of starchy carb every day?  If you work out, you'd likely want a bit more than a fist sized serving.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Cmk said:

I realized I don’t think I am.  Would that be potatoes?  What other option would I have?

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables like carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash or pumpkin, or plantains.

• 1 month later...

I have had the metallic taste in my mouth since day 4.  I beefed up starchy vegetables, something at each meal and followed the food template.  I did not snack and was never hungry.  No matter what I ate still could not get rid of it.  I am now done and have finished my introduction which ended on Thursday.  Still cannot get rid of metallic taste.  Not sure what to do?  I never had this issue before Whole 30.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I like the Whole 30 way of eating, but am really getting tired of the metallic taste.  Do not really want to go back to old habits, ie coffee creamer, afternoon sugary snack.

Thanks for any feedback.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Cmk said:

I have had the metallic taste in my mouth since day 4.  I beefed up starchy vegetables, something at each meal and followed the food template.  I did not snack and was never hungry.  No matter what I ate still could not get rid of it.  I am now done and have finished my introduction which ended on Thursday.  Still cannot get rid of metallic taste.  Not sure what to do?  I never had this issue before Whole 30.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I like the Whole 30 way of eating, but am really getting tired of the metallic taste.  Do not really want to go back to old habits, ie coffee creamer, afternoon sugary snack.

Thanks for any feedback.

I don't know that anyone here is really qualified to help with this. Generally, adding carbohydrates from starchy vegetables is enough to make this go away. It is generally an indication that your body is in ketosis from going low carb, which is not something Whole30 is trying to do. If you did reintroductions and even having whatever grains you reintroduced didn't make it go away, I think it might be something you need to talk to a doctor or maybe a dentist about, just to be sure there's not some underlying problem that isn't food related.

Archived