Can you have reintroduced foods as you test others?

Elderflower15

Hi, I am planning my reintroduction and I wanted to clarify something. I am going to start on Day1 with glass of wine, on Day4 I will reintroduce legumes. If i do not have any negative effects with wine can I have this now as I continue to test out other foods and keep the rest of the foods whole30compliant? Same for legumes etc? Thanks in advance :-)

• 2 weeks later...

A word of warning on wine reintroduction:  The first time I did Whole30, I reintroduced wine first, because that's what I missed the most.  Well. . . one glass became 4, and because I'd lost weight and tolerance, I got pretty tipsy, and the next day I felt awful.  Awful enough to want comfort food, which to me was mac and cheese (there goes dairy, there goes wheat).  It was a mess.   Just a heads up that there is that potential pitfall.  Ymmv, but I am not going to do it the same way this time.  This time wine will be last, and only one glass of it, so I can determine if wine bothers me, vs if an excess of it does.

4 hours ago, tasha99 said:

A word of warning on wine reintroduction:  The first time I did Whole30, I reintroduced wine first, because that's what I missed the most.  Well. . . one glass became 4, and because I'd lost weight and tolerance, I got pretty tipsy, and the next day I felt awful.  Awful enough to want comfort food, which to me was mac and cheese (there goes dairy, there goes wheat).  It was a mess.   Just a heads up that there is that potential pitfall.  Ymmv, but I am not going to do it the same way this time.  This time wine will be last, and only one glass of it, so I can determine if wine bothers me, vs if an excess of it does.

Ya, even outside of Whole30 and Whole30 Reintroductions, the domino effect of alcohol is usually what trips people up: it's not having the booze, necessarily, that keeps people from reaching their health and fitness goals, but it's that it leads to caving to cravings, eating overly large portions, lethargy about working out, etc.

7 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

https://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

That's how a reintroduction works. Plus if something does start to go sideways for you, you don't have to backtrack as far to see what it is.

Yes, I know that is what the reintroduction plan is...but I haven't seen a clear explanation as to why.  If you have ruled something out as causing problems, haven't you ruled it out? For instance, doctors tend to recommended to add one new food to an infant's diet at a time to monitor for allergies/intolerances. I am just trying to figure out why the W30 recommendation is different. Is it a dose response thing? Like maybe if you eat something several days in a row it will start causing problems? Or maybe it is a food combination thing? In which case you would need to try out different combinations. 

• Moderators

Dose response and food combinations are why.

The reintroduction instructions Whole30 includes are pretty basic. They'll give most people some useful information in a short period of time, which I think is the goal -- to do the thing that is most useful for most people with the least amount of extra days of restriction. There are people who decide they want more information, and they change up their reintroductions to cover the information they want. For instance, instead of just a day of legumes, some people will do a day of soy, a day of peanuts, and a day for other legumes (all three spaced out with at least two days between each one), because they want to know more specifically if there's a difference in how they react to those different things. Other people do similar for dairy -- they'll try things that have lactose one day, things that don't on a separate day, or cows' milk versus goat or sheep or whatever other kind of dairy they may have access to. If people have cut out nightshades or FODMAPS, those would have their own reintroductions. If someone suspects they have an issue with something that is dose-dependent, they might have a food for several days in a row to see if that's the case, or at what point they see a reaction. You could do the same for food combinations, if you wanted to know how having, say, wine and bread and cheese and butter all in one meal would affect you. But if you're going to do combinations, it would really still be better to do single food groups first. 

Archived