Day 11 - Vegetables

Charlynn

Hello! I am on my 3rd or 4th try at W30, but first in a couple of years. I am on day 11, have a partner to check in with, and overall am feeling pretty good an motivated still! My only "slip" from my goal was I allowed myself to take pain meds to get me through the headaches. I have a job and three kids and just couldn't check out for 2-3 days while my headaches subsided!

Anyhoo... vegetables. I am really struggling. I don't really love them. I really don't love prepping and cooking them. Often days I have to pack all three meals as I leave for work at 7 and don't come home until after 8 (pick kids up from school and taxi them around to activities). I am typically getting veggies at 2 meals, but sometimes only 1. While I am sticking to plan, and making it meal to meal well (very little snacking), I just feel this probably isn't the best way to go long term. I am ok with the fact that for now I am just doing what I can to get by and not break plan, but moving into the next 10 days I would really like to improve my veggie intake.

So, my question is, what are good ideas for veggies that I can cook in advance and eat leftover cold? What works well for the other super busy people out there that don't really get to cook and eat each meal slowly and savor it!?

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Charlynn said:

Hello! I am on my 3rd or 4th try at W30, but first in a couple of years. I am on day 11, have a partner to check in with, and overall am feeling pretty good an motivated still! My only "slip" from my goal was I allowed myself to take pain meds to get me through the headaches. I have a job and three kids and just couldn't check out for 2-3 days while my headaches subsided!

Anyhoo... vegetables. I am really struggling. I don't really love them. I really don't love prepping and cooking them. Often days I have to pack all three meals as I leave for work at 7 and don't come home until after 8 (pick kids up from school and taxi them around to activities). I am typically getting veggies at 2 meals, but sometimes only 1. While I am sticking to plan, and making it meal to meal well (very little snacking), I just feel this probably isn't the best way to go long term. I am ok with the fact that for now I am just doing what I can to get by and not break plan, but moving into the next 10 days I would really like to improve my veggie intake.

So, my question is, what are good ideas for veggies that I can cook in advance and eat leftover cold? What works well for the other super busy people out there that don't really get to cook and eat each meal slowly and savor it!?

Have a look at the links in this google search result - this is not an uncommon thing for people not used to eating veggies so maybe there's somethingi n there that can help...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=whole30+dislike+vegetables&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA753CA754&oq=whole30+dislike+vegetables&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.3720j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Charlynn said:

I love leftover steamed brocoli (steamed just until cooked, not until mushy). Leftover steamed green beans are also excellent. Cubed and roasted potatoes, white yams or japanese sweet potatoes are great leftover. Roasted or steamed carrots. 

Keep trying different cooking methods and fats and see what you like!

• Moderators

Try some salads like these:  https://meljoulwan.com/2014/05/21/paleo-summer-salads-potlucks/  -- salads don't all have to be leafy green stuff, these are much heartier (not that there's anything wrong with leafy green stuff -- you should have some of those too -- I just get bored if I depend on them for lunch every day and figure other people might too). There are tons of other salad recipes on that site too -- just use the search bar in the upper right corner of that page to search salad and scroll through til you find some that look interesting to you. I've taken both the broccoli one and the beet one to potlucks before and even non-Whole30 people loved them. 

If you invest in a good thermos, you can also take soup, which would be nice if it's chilly out -- generally, prep your thermos by pouring hot/near boiling water into it and letting that sit while you warm your soup, then pour out the water and put in the soup, seal it up, it'll stay toasty warm for hours. There are also car plug in food warmers, but I've never used them. If you spend a lot of time in the car, it might be worth looking into. 

Archived