Hi Gang - I'm on day 23 of my first Whole30.  I started this whole dealeo due to my uber-active sugar dragon.  I LOVE sweets and have since I was a kid.  But I realize I have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food, turning to sweets/snacks when I'm bored or frustrated at work or missing my boyfriend or just want that deliciously rich flavor of brownie batter in my life.  I'm the girl who makes brownie batter to have it in my fridge to eat with a spoon after dinner (or sometimes as dinner).  So, I am trying to break this (unhealthy?) attachment.  

Problem is, I don't know if I want to say goodbye to the sweets.  The idea of a warm brownie with a glass of red wine has literally brought me to tears a few times in the past 23 days.  I don't want to break up with that ooey gooey melt-in-your-mouth goodness.  It brings me joy!  It makes me happy!  It gives me life!  Well, that last one was a bit of an overstatement, but you get my point.  And I don't notice any stomach issues after eating sweets...but I'm sure I would if I started back on my old habits after 30 days. 

So I'm struggling with my future after the 30 days.  Do I indulge once a week?  Or do I break up with something that makes me happy forever?  Is it bad to get joy from (bad for you) food?  Help!  How to I keep my desire for cakes, brownies, cookies in check?

Hi There,

We help guide you to a decision but ultimately you are the only one who is able to answer this question.  

So lets' fast forward to day 31 - have you decided to slow roll your reintros or do an actual introduction?  Personally I would recommend an actual one by one re-introduction before diving off a cliff into brownie land.

Once you have figured out if you have reactions to things  ie: sugar, grains, dairy, and possibly soy (if you are using prepackaged brownie mix) then you are able to make an educated answer on if the brownie is worth it to you or not. 

You could come to the conclusion that it is - great then you get to choose how often you choose to eat brownies. There is no judgement on how many times a week.  You get to choose if it is worth it once a week or once a month, or perhaps once every 6 months.  Completely up to you.

You could come to the conclusion  that your old brownie batter is not worth it - but you would still like to enjoy the experience of eating a brownie let's find a new recipe based on my new requirements.

The beauty about the whole 30 it puts you in the drivers seat. You get to make the decision based on your reaction.

• Administrators

Hey there! So first, good job on being this far into your Whole30 and considering the life after. Melissa actually wrote an entire book about how to learn, cultivate and use Food Freedom. How to determine and work on "Do I want this" and "Is it worth it" and how that answer is going to change from day to day and even bite to bite.

I highly recommend you check it out. No one says no brownies and red wine forever. We just want you to be honest with yourself so that you can make informed decisions and not be ruled by the Brownie Gods when you don't really want to be.

7 hours ago, AnneJo said:

Hi Gang - I'm on day 23 of my first Whole30.  I started this whole dealeo due to my uber-active sugar dragon.  I LOVE sweets and have since I was a kid.  But I realize I have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food, turning to sweets/snacks when I'm bored or frustrated at work or missing my boyfriend or just want that deliciously rich flavor of brownie batter in my life.  I'm the girl who makes brownie batter to have it in my fridge to eat with a spoon after dinner (or sometimes as dinner).  So, I am trying to break this (unhealthy?) attachment.  

There definitely can be room in your life for sweets. But the things I've bolded in your initial post are really what you want to break. Those are the things that you would do best to develop other coping mechanisms for. I definitely lean heavily toward the "snacking when bored/frustrated" end of the spectrum and it's something that I have to consciously work on all the time. (I'm not on a Whole30 right now, but I adjust these for when I am). When I'm in that mood, I'll get up and take a walk the long way to the coffee pot to make a cup of coffee. Or I'll wander over to my coworker who always has weird teas to see what she has stashed. Or put on my headphones and listen to some music if a coworker is pissing me off. Missing your boyfriend's a little harder, but could you text or email him and save the sweets for when you can enjoy them together?

Being totally real - there are times when I'm just like "y'know what? Dagnabbit, I want a cookie." And sometimes, I'll have a cookie. Sometimes I just acknowledge that I want a cookie and go back to whatever it was I was doing. That's when you've really hit your food freedom. 

Hi everyone - thank you so much for your responses!  Your words have given me more to think about.

Carlaccini - one by one reintro seems like the smartest way to go!  And finding a better recipe than store-bought does seem like a much smarter and healthier way to go.  Thank you for this idea!

ladyshanny - Bought the book.  Thank you for letting me know about it!  Definitely something I need to read.

laura_juggles - The mindfulness aspect...the hardest but sometimes the most obvious.  Distraction works wonders. :)

Thanks again!

Archived