ORBren - logging in & being thankful

ORBren

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day #18

Another early start and another good breakfast!!!

B: Chicken thigh, cauliflower rice pilaf, 1/2 banana

L: Big salad withHB egg, avocado, 1/2 banana

S: macadamia nuts

D: Bora Bora Fireballs, spinach & guacamole

Packing lunch the night before is my tip for success on work days. I even think about exactly what I will wear the night before.

Many years ago when I was a single Mom, eating SAD and working long hours, I arrived at work only to discover I had on 2 different shoes! Same style but one black and one navy. Now it is hilarious, but then I was standing up in front of a classroom full of people praying I was so engaging that nobody would look at my feet. One of those 'guess what - you are human-' moments.

I appreciate sleep and look forward to it like I never have before in my life. Having no children at home helps! Those of you with little ones never really sleep deeply, and those of you with teens always have an ear open to be sure they make it home (and stay there).

So my list tonight is of things the I am thankful for about getting older......WOW this is amazing even me.

1. I can sleep deeply - my kids are now taking care of their own babies.

2. The grey in my hair is OK with me, no time or money spent changing it.

3. I take time to actually consider the answer I want to give, not trying to be the first one to spout the 'right' answer.

4. Time for hobbies and reading and straightening out drawers - while listening to the music I want to listen to.

I had a really good day. Here's to a great weekend.

Looks like you're doing awesome! It's great to see that people at any stage in life are capable of making big changes. I'm starting to get a few grey hairs (at the ripe old age of 22, heh)... I'm actually looking forward to having more, for some reason! :D

Day #19 in the bag.

I had a quiet day at home, Hubby wanted to go out for a burger at 5 Guys after he worked all day. So, I ate my dinner then went along.

I drank a big herbal tea while he ate. Nice to get out of the house, nice to have time to just visit with him (we both left our phones at home) and it was 32 degrees so hot tea was perfect. I did not feel at all deprived.

B: pork chop, hot veggies - cabbage, greens, mushrooms, tomatoes.

L: 2 eggs, sausage, salsa, guacamole

tremendous sugar craving - ate a couple of pickles and a couple of prunes trying to take that edge off.

D: Bora Bora fireballs, spinach and cabbage a little sunshine sauce.

Thankful for:

1. Withstanding sugar craving

2. Chai tea- yum yum

3. Walking on my treadmill listening to HP

I know for a fact that I cannot have fake desserts or give in to eating sweet-ish things after dinner. I need to give several years to establishing this new habit, because I have had the dessert habit for soooooo long.

It's the hardest thing, isn't it? You finish dinner and the immediate thought is: "So, what's next? I need something sweet!" It's crazy. I sure hope we can get over the way this habit seems to have rewired our brains. It would be so liberating.

Day # 20

B: smoked oysters, salad O&V dressing, 1/2 banana

L: meatballs, cabbage, greens, mushrooms, olives, 1/2orange

D: meatballs, spinach, sunshine sauce, guac

before bed: macadamias and 1/2 banana

Thankful for:

1. A long weekend

2. Extra sleep

3. Planning food for a girls trip next weekend

Day #21

B: Chicken breast, cauliflower rice pilaf, mushrooms, salsa and guacamole

L: 2 fireballs, salsa zucchini and guacamole

D: Finished the cauliflower rice pilaf, spinach with some chocolate chili. kiwi and 1/2 banana

Cooked a bunch of veggies and meat for the week. Made 4 snack packs of raw veggies and olives.

Really enjoyed the e-mail today about habit building. Reinforces my thought that I will need to extend my Whole 30... 45 or 60 days or longer to have a real chance of resetting my habits.

My girls weekend will be with great friends who will be totally supportive of whatever I choose to eat. I am thinking of making another batch of Bora Bora Fireballs to take and share! My oldest daughter will be going with me and I look forward to having a couple of hours with her in the car - even though she lives in the same town, I don't see her very often :( We text and facebook - go figure. She is curious about Paleo - but says "I could NEVER give up bread". Wish me luck.

Thankful:

1. Enjoyed chopping and cooking today

2. Freezer with good beef and fish

3. Feeling calm today

4. No sugar cravings today HOORAH!

5. Slept like a rock last night

Day #22

So Busy

So boring food choices today but I was fine with it, just happy to have good food ready to go.

B: Chicken with salad and salsa

L: Chicken with cooked veggies, greens, carrots,1/2 avocado

D: Chicken with salad and homemade dressing

Made applesauce in the crockpot just apples and cinnamon. Really good.

So my computer disaster today... I spent about 6 hours in the last couple of days converting a lecture from notes to a nice powerpoint (don't groan) so after class I can post it on the website for students to review. Links to websites, great pics to explain concepts, a lot of work. Got to school - not on my thumb drive. No problem right? It's on the home computer...well no. So I spent another 2.5 hours tonight re-building it. Not exactly the same but pretty close. Now what will my thankfulness list look like tonight????

Thankful that:

1. I had downloaded a ton of pics/vids already so links were quick to find

2. I had thought through the entire presentation so I knew what I wanted.

3. Going through it AGAIN counts as prep

4. I found out tonight and not tomorrow morning with a room full of students.

5. I have a computer and the internet, it makes things so much prettier

whew. I am bone tired tonight and I barely moved today.

There's no way I'll be able to *totally* reset my habits in 30 days and yet, I'm still too much of a newb to do a 100! I like the idea of doing weekdays on and weekends relaxed...Not off and go crazy but have a little something off-road if I really want it.

You are awesome and I smiled at the bit about enjoying the grey in your hair. I have a grey streak (I'm in my mid 30s) and I love it! Occasionally people will ask me why I don't dye it ((!) I can't believe the things people ask) and I tell them I don't want to lose all the wisdom that came with it! :)

Keep on, your log is soothing somehow!

Day #23

Stretched before bed, slept like a baby.

I can't believe how much I like shopping for vegetables. I always want to buy more than I need. I go shopping every 2 or 3 days just to keep things fresh. I have been focusing on greens with breakfast and no fruit at breakfast.

B: Ground beef, green beans, green onions and a slice of beet

L: Pork chop, cooked veggies (cabbage, greens, squash), snack bag of raw veggies and 3 olives

D: Chocolate chili, on spinach topped with cilantro, roasted cauliflower and a little guacamole.

I am so full and satisfied today.

Yesterday I watched 'Fat, sick and nearly dead' about a guy who lost 100 pounds juicing. Interesting, but I wonder how the blood sugar reacts. I guess if you really did mostly vegetables it might be ok, but I think people need protein - the basic building block of cells and fat, a necessity for smooth nerve conduction. I like to chew, so I think a juice experience would be less than satisfying.

Like I said earlier, I am trying to focus on thinking differently about food. I need to plug into some paleo podcasts. That would be a nice change from Harry Potter when I walk on my treadmill.

Today I am thankful:

1. Class went very well today - beautiful PP :)

2. Felt thinner today, really for the first time since day 3 (after all the water weight vanished) Guess I am a late bloomer, feeling results toward the very end of W 30. 7 more days to go.

3. Veggies are tasting so good.

4. Coconut oil makes everything better.

5. That all these things are accessible. I got a huge grin out of the blog post from last summer about how to survive a Zombie apocalypse and stay paleo !!!

Great log! You're doing so great. I'm really looking forward to reading your success story after your 30 days :)

I also watched Hungry for Change on Netflix based on what you wrote about it. Very interesting, despite the vegetarian angle (they don't say meat is bad, they just don't mention meat). I am definitely up for expanding my views on food and the documentary did have common points with the Whole9 approach (eliminating man made foods, sugar = evil, natural fat = good, veggies = tons of vitamins, sourcing local, organic food). If I remember correctly, the guy from Fat, sick and nearly dead was also on Hungry for Change. I think the reason why jucing works is simply because of the super high micro nutrient profile. So I don't think it matters if we juice the veggies or just eat them: as long as we get them in our body. I'm definitely with you regarding proteins. I don't think juicing is sustainable long term, but people interviewed in the documentary had good results from a "3-day cleanse". I would have liked to see results from a juice cleanse that also includes organic meat/sea food.

I really admire your attitude, and your ability to find things to be thankful of everyday! Coconut oil does make everything better! Have you tried coconut butter by any chance? Try frying apples in it...

Day # 24

Slept well - had a great day.

B: scrambled eggs with spinach, and sausage and kim chi

L: HB egg raw veggie pack and 5 olives 4 oz kombucha (from my new batch)

D: Sausage and cooked veggies (cabbage, squash & greens)

Thankful:

1. Quiet day at work, few interruptions = lots of papers graded!!!

2. Nice warm bath tub after the cold drive home

3. Got my Amazon package today with Mark Sisson's new book Primal Connection. I will try to take a look at it this weekend.

Ohh! Please let un know what you think about the book! I have tons of recipe books (from e-book bundles), but few about the science/history perspective. I had/have Primal Body Primal Mind (mindblowing!) but I think my boyfriend's mom has it, even though she thinks she gave it back. I highly highly recommend that book! It covers everything (first part on how food affects our body, second part on how food affects our mind, last part on "surviving in the modern world"), but you do need some basic understanding of the sciency stuff because otherwise it could be hard to understand. Lots of reference to Weston A.Price (the author is a member of the foundation, but at least she doesn't pretend to be neutral regarding that), but VERY thourough research!

Day # 25 worked early then drove to Bend to see my sweet friends!

B: sausage, cooked veggies

L: ground beef cooked veggies

D: roast chicken, Brussels sprouts, salad, apple sauce

Thankful for

1. A safe trip

2. A chance to have uninterrupted time with my daughter

3. Fun plans to go contra dancing tomorrow night (I will have to let you know what it is tomorrow!)

Day # 26

Boy am I having fun! Went Contra dancing tonight for the first time in my life - broke a sweat!

B: 2 eggs, spinach & Kim chi

L: Restaurant out: BLT with Avocado, tomato & onion salad. I ate the kale and orange garnishes off of everyone's plate.

D: made bora bora fireballs with elk and pork. Roasted broccoli and applesauce from home. Everyone seemed to like them.

Tomorrow I will evaluate the first trip on W30

Thankful for

1. Got a massage today

2. Slept well in a strange bed

3. Dear friends who are a hoot

Day #27

Drove home from Mona's, 1 1/2 hours over the pass, very icy, 27 degrees and a truck slid then flipped over right in front of us! Called 911 right away and many folks stopped to help. Truck landed in a snow drift and the guy was trying to open his door, Needless to say, today was more stressful than usual.

Eating went well, able to stay compliant. I planned ahead and took HB eggs, Kim chi, applesauce and spices etc. For the Bora Bora fireballs.

So what would I do differently on another trip? I would take chopped raw veggies, almonds and some olives too.

B: eggs with coconut oil and Kim chi

L: sausage, cabbage, cauliflower, kombucha

D: sausage & chili on spinach with onions ( 2 servings - I was really hungry) herbal tea

I did not have any time to read, so Primal Connection is still waiting.

I found a copy of Food Inc. at the movie exchange and picked it up for $5!

Starting to think of a transition plan but I know I will not add grains back in...

One option is to stay on program for 10 extra days. We will celebrate my husbands BD on Feb 9th with dinner, we want to go to one of the restaurants featured in the book The Mighty Gastropolis Portland by Karen Brooks and I want to really enjoy every bite.

Thankful for:

1. Making it home safely

2. Emergency services to help people in crisis

3. Good food waiting in my fridge

Thanks Derval. Hey, I saw your name on a Pinterest post today! I am following you now, and look forward more yummy food pics (see dinner entry below)!

Day # 28

B: Absolutely not hungry this morning, packed breakfast but only ate 5 little olives.

L: Sausage, cooked cabbage, greenbeans,cauliflower, applesauce and kombucha

D: Gyro burger (thanks Derval & TGIPaleo), cucumbers, cabbage, applesauce

I am surprised at how much I am not looking forward to my first W30 ending. Thursday & Friday are long stressful work days for me and the most soothing thing I can think of is to eat exactly as I have been for the last month! I don't want any re-introduction stuff that might upset my digestion.

Those of you who have done several W 30's.... how long did you take before starting again?

What!!! I almost forgot my thankful list:

1. Sleeping well

2. Feeling very good

3. Calm mind

4. Pants fitting better

5. No cravings (but a few headaches - think I was dehydrated)

I've been doing a W30 every quarter for over a year now. January, April, July, October. This works out well for my family in terms of birthdays and holidays. My in-between times are getting better and better, but still I'm usually really ready for the next W30 by the time it comes up.

You sound great! I love contra dancing--so much fun! Keep on!

Archived