ORBren - logging in & being thankful

ORBren

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day #29... really day 29!!

Unbelievable.

B: Pork Citrus carnitas from Well Fed. YUM. and juiced veggies to drink. (I know)

L: chicken salad with lots of lettuce

D: more carnitas with cooked veggies

Took my vits too.

Today I totally procrastinated doing work and I watched 2 documentaries... Food Matters and Forks over Knives.

Food Matters had a lot of focus on the western medicine model and the role of alternative treatments like nutrition (focus on vegan) and vitamins. Also brought up the money to be made from people being sick, and the big business link to regulation of pharmaceuticals and the "food pyramid" It was very interesting.

Forks over Knives was very anti-meat and focused on how many more people could be fed by plants if cows were not being fed. Last year I read The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith; I think that book almost started riots in vegetarian communities. But a lot of it made sense and if you stay local in meat purchasing, the footprint is small. It is just buying into the national feed lot model that is so destructive.

It was much more fun watching movies today than doing work. I will regret this decision tomorrow, but tonight I plan to sleep well :)

Thankful for:

1. Netflix

2. My TV- which if I tilt it just right can be seen (mostly) from my kitchen. So I can watch and chop and cook at the same time.

3. Well Fed- honestly a fun cookbook.

4. A calm happy mind.

5. Just refusing to feel guilty.

Tomorrow is Day 30. I have a massage scheduled - before I even decided to do W30! What a nice coincidence. I am thankful about that too.

Day # 30. Wow. I am finishing strong, Planning to continue on plan until something worthwhile comes up.

Tomorrow I will do a post W30 to evaluate my goals and set a transition plan.

B: Pork carnitas, cooked veggies + green veggie juice

L: Same as breakfast + kombucha

D: Same as breakfast and lunch - all veggies may vary. + Kim chi

Looks boring but it was yummy.

I have definitely learned to love the 'hot plate' concept for meals and know that is what made my veggie intake so good.

Thankful:

1. Got a great massage

2. No cravings

3. Very clear that I need to stay on W30 longer to get the most out of it.

Thank you to all those who have been so friendly and encouraging during my maiden W30!

I will still be around because I have found this forum very important in staying accountable and reducing temptation to cheat!

I've really enjoyed reading through your log. Very enjoyable, encouraging, and inspirational. Love your "Thankful" lists. I may give that a try. I also, am looking forward to your Whole30 post!

P.S. Thanks for visiting my Whole90 journal... I begin tomorrow!

I have been doing swell... staying compliant. Thursday and Friday were work days and today I am lazing around the house and prepping for the Superbowl party we will be having tomorrow. This will certainly be the biggest in-my-face challenge. 10 of my husbands work friends will bring their offerings and beer. Hubby is making ribs cooked in OJ (concentrate with some calcium added) and lime juice. I am defrosting pork for bora bora fireballs and will have chopped veggies and maybe chocolate cauliflower so I can have a full plate. Since I will be home, I will be fine.

Funny, because I am continuing with eating W30, but have not made an exact date/commitment, I find my self really considering if my next meal will be the one I try to re-introduce a food. It is much easier to not have that as an option. But I am not ready to say - I'm free - because free/crazy does not work for me. I am still learning how to be free/healthy.

Thankful:

1. Slept like a rock

2. Have a plan for tomorrow.

3. Bought a juicer - I am researching a vegetable juice fast as a transition or as a once in a while detox. I have had so many decades of SAD, I think I may benefit from a deep cleanse. I am not interested in just plain fasting.

Wonderful hearing from you, Bren... sounds like you're doing great... and good for you for having a plan for tomorrow. Very important! The first thing I added back was cheese. I was never a big cheese and cracker person, but I did like a pinch of fresh grated cheddar on my eggs or in a salad, but not for the next 88 days. LOL! Oops... this is your journal, not mine. :rolleyes: Sorry! Keep up the good work and keep in touch!

Hi! Day # 36. Yep I am still on plan.

Super Bowl party did not tempt me because there were several yummy, compliant options.

I read the re-introduction chapter in ISWF and appreciated the wisdom there. I will choose to stop when there is something worth the potential GI upset.

... and good for you for having a plan for tomorrow. Very important! The first thing I added back was cheese.

Marcia - My money is on cheese as my first temptation of worth!!! I have a lifelong history of loving cheese.

Thankful for

1. Great seaweed snacks from Costco. Yum.

2. Feeling great, sleeping great, faster running up the stairs at work

3. Pants noticeably comfortable

4. No cravings..... I am determined to not just eat something because it is there- junk in the break room. I have done that in the past.

Condiments:

A couple of days ago I made ketchup. I used a recipe for a long cooked version spiced with a lot of veggies and whole tomatoes . I have made the quick/tomato paste versions and have never been satisfied. This version makes me very happy. Nice texture and taste and the right consistency, but it is not very deep red,I am ok with that. I don't know anything about the rest of this guys website, but I am going to try his BBQ sauce next.

I have made mayo a few times. I have tried the pour slowly method from Well Fed and the pour it all in and mix method ( a couple of Youtube videos which I did not bookmark) and the slow drizzle tasted best.

I am not kidding though I thought my stick blender was going to burst into flame. Making mayo is the only reason i bought stick blender. So flame on.

Hi Bren... I took a look at that ketchup recipe, sure looks like a lot of work. I love hamburgers on the grill and with spring not too far off think I might give the quick recipe a try. The Bar-B-Que recipe sounds good too! I bought a bottle of Caveman Bob's , but at $6.49/bottle I think I'll try that recipe too.

I bought an immersion blender for mayo also and used it the other day for the first time. It worked like a charm and the mayo was delish! Have used "Well Fed's" recipe several times and that's yummy too. I just love mayo! :)

Marcia - the ketchup took a looong time to reduce down, but I was home and puttering around the kitchen anyway so it was OK with me.

I have really had a great couple of days, feeling calm - My stress is reduced by not having to think about food so much. I know what I am going to eat and it is ready in my fridge/pantry so I am good.

This morning leaving for work at 5:45 - did not pack lunch the night before... so - I threw together a sack full of stuff and took off. When I sat down at noon it was so exciting to pull out half an avocado, a bag of bright red & yellow peppers, 3 lamb meat balls still a little frozen, 1/2 a banana, a little baggie of prunes & almonds. I was so asleep when I packed I didn't even remember what all was in there. I packed but did not eat a pecan Larabar.

How awesome is that, to not have to buy junk but pack a good lunch in 0.5 seconds while asleep. Yeah!

Second random thought.

I teach at a Community College and Nutrition education is in the same division - so we share the same lunchroom. Those women are all tall & skinny and eat plenty of "whole grains" and shake their heads that the students have so many questions about coconut oil. :) really

Most of their classes revolve around teaching people how to read and evaluate the labels on prepackaged and processed foods. WHAT? Why can't students learn about the real food?

What a difference it would make if certified nutritionists could have a paleo track to specialize in - what if every hospital and nursing home was required to have a paleo nutritionist on staff. We could really impact the healing and recovery of folks and teach them eating habits that might keep them out of the hospital in the first place. It makes me sad to know that even smart folks who understand paleo have to spout the traditional 'wisdom' USDA food pyramid crap in order to get certified as a nutritionist.

Man - how I wish I had known these things when I was 20 years old. So I start where I am am just lead by example I guess. I am past the point of trying to change the world and enjoying just changing myself.

Thankful:

1. The sun is really shining today - so energizing!

2. I am starting to have obsessive gardening thoughts :D

3. After W30 my hands are less painful (probably arthritis) so I can actually garden more this year.

4. Ready to start a new batch of kombucha - tea brewing as I type.

5. Dinner out in Portland tomorrow for hubby's BD - taking my M-I-L too, I love her.

6. Don't have to get up at 5 in the morning!!!

7. Gentle week at work next week.

8. Happy, calm mind and tummy.

Second random thought.

I teach at a Community College and Nutrition education is in the same division - so we share the same lunchroom. Those women are all tall & skinny and eat plenty of "whole grains" and shake their heads that the students have so many questions about coconut oil. :) really

Most of their classes revolve around teaching people how to read and evaluate the labels on prepackaged and processed foods. WHAT? Why can't students learn about the real food?

What a difference it would make if certified nutritionists could have a paleo track to specialize in - what if every hospital and nursing home was required to have a paleo nutritionist on staff. We could really impact the healing and recovery of folks and teach them eating habits that might keep them out of the hospital in the first place. It makes me sad to know that even smart folks who understand paleo have to spout the traditional 'wisdom' USDA food pyramid crap in order to get certified as a nutritionist.

When I was pregnant with my first child 15 years ago, an o.b. had me do a consult with a dietitian. She told me to eat white bread and American cheese sandwiches for lunch. :o Seriously.

Marcia - the ketchup took a looong time to reduce down, but I was home and puttering around the kitchen anyway so it was OK with me.

I have really had a great couple of days, feeling calm - My stress is reduced by not having to think about food so much. I know what I am going to eat and it is ready in my fridge/pantry so I am good.

This morning leaving for work at 5:45 - did not pack lunch the night before... so - I threw together a sack full of stuff and took off. When I sat down at noon it was so exciting to pull out half an avocado, a bag of bright red & yellow peppers, 3 lamb meat balls still a little frozen, 1/2 a banana, a little baggie of prunes & almonds. I was so asleep when I packed I didn't even remember what all was in there. I packed but did not eat a pecan Larabar.

Doesn't it make it so much easier to have meals planned ahead and ready. Sure works for me! Have never tried a Larabar... may have to. I bet they're yummy!

Second random thought.

That is so sad... I just don't get it with all the books, studies, and info out there why that old outdated theory doesn't budge! I was at my son's, in-laws for Thanksgiving and had just ended my Whole30. His M-I-L is on WW, and his aunt-in-law's mantra that day was Oatmeal!!! Oatmeal is the answer... everyday! You can't tell those peeps anything, they know it all so I just kept my mouth shut. I know WW works... I've lost on their plan, but when I went it's all about finding "frankenfoods" so you can keep up all your bad habits! Same when I watch Marie Osmond plugging NutriSystem. All that frankenfood loaded with chemicals, sugar, artificial ingredients, and who knows what else! Hospital food and school cafeteria food is so bad too. My Mother was a type II diabetic and when she was hospitalized I couldn't believe what she ate. Then they tested her blood, Oh My... your BS is high and gave her insulin! :o It's scary!

Man - how I wish I had known these things when I was 20 years old.

Me too!!!

2. I am starting to have obsessive gardening thoughts :D

Me too! Ordered some Brazilian Blue Sage plants today... hummingbirds love them!!!

4. Ready to start a new batch of kombucha - tea brewing as I type.

I've heard so many people like it. How do you make yours?

Why can't students learn about the real food?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Driving back from Portland after Birthday dinner at Jakes Crawfish Grill - cool old restaurant which has been around since 1892. Super fresh seafood. I guess I am calling this my first off-road a little bit of parm cheese on the Rock fish and garlic mashed potatoes. Not bad, didn't eat too much. None of the desserts rocked my boat so we all took a pass. Just lovely. Listening to good music, loud and singing along: Avett Brothers; Mumford & Sons; Jeff Lynn. Hubby's music, his day. Can you see my happy smile?

Archived