Day 26 - Itchy scalp?

Day 26:  I am experiencing itchy scalp.  I have had itchy scalp problems for years, however removing gluten solved the problem.  I'm now experiencing itchy scalp again.  I am eating a lot of nuts (cashews and mostly almonds). As per the program, it states that one closed handful of nuts is recommended per-meal.  I'm probably eating close to double that amount. 

I'm also eating eggs, coconut and some almond milk.  Any ideas.

(and, oh yeah - my spouse has been feeding me an avalanche of sweet potatoes -- my eyes have turned orange). 

Thanks for the help!!

Oh, man, that's a lot of nuts.  You're eating 2 closed handfuls per meal?

I tried to find the link in @SugarcubeOD's signature, but I'm on my phone & can't find it.  I'm thinking the recommendation is that -- IF you are going to eat nuts -- which are in no way required -- one closed handful PER DAY.  Maybe I'm wrong, but still... that's a lot of nuts.  

Cashews are known to have mold in their cracks.  If you see anything dark there, steer clear.  There's also this to consider... worth a mention.

IMG_5904.PNG

Yeah, I'd say drastically reducing your nut intake would be a good start. Nuts should be limited and the fats in your meals should be varied.

Here's from the "Whole30 Can I Have?" article, specifically from the entry on Almond Milk: 

Tip: Nuts and seeds aren’t your best fat choice, in general, and drinking your food is always less healthy than eating it. So when it comes to almond milk, even if you make your own… we’d rather you just eat the almonds once in a while!

Nuts are often recommended on the forum as one closed handful every other day at most, due to a variety of reasons including fat ratios and nuts are disruptive to a lot of people.  You're eating about 12X that amount.  

If that's a huge change from before, then I'd try taking them out to see if that helps the itchy scalp problem.

Well, I think it's too late for me to edit my post above -- so I just wanted to post again for clarification.

I did find it on the meal template, and it says "up to" one closed handful per meal.

So, OP, I'm sorry -- you were right about that.  

I would not recommend it.  And no way would I recommend six closed handfuls per day.

Do I think a lot of nuts can cause itchy scalp?  Yes, I do.  I said goodbye to cashews years ago, for a variety of reasons.  

I'd agree that the meal template PDF can be confusing regarding fat sources and how to incorporate them.  It does seem to imply to add ALL those fats to every meal, and really it's more like 1-2 of the options, and doesn't particularly say anything about limiting nuts, but if you poke around in the forums, the recommendation is to keep nuts on the lower consumption side.

Thanks for all of your comments --  I've stopped eating nuts (they were 80% almonds - should have mentioned that).  Scalp is less itchy today so I will monitor and see what happens tomorrow.  Agreed -- way too many nuts.  The one thing that I do enjoy is almond milk -- I don't drink any milk so it's an alternative that works for me.  Is there an issue with Almond Milk? I'm assuming it's OK as it's compliant.  Thanks again for all of your responses!

Archived