Day 23

Si15

Hi there. I'm on Day 23. I've read the book and I've been pretty good (no slips) but I'm not feeling any positive results yet and as I've only got a week to go I'd love some advice on what I might be doing wrong. My clothes are no looser, I feel really tired and while I didn't have anything too harsh in the earlier on, for the past two days I've felt unusually CRANKY AT EVERYTHING and a bit down. 

I'd love to lose around 5kgs but the main motivation for doing W30 was the hope it might ease the osteoporosis in my foot but if anything, it's worse. I really miss sourdough and brown rice.  I'm 5"6 / 64kgs and do regular yoga, cycling and walking. This is an average W30 day for me.

B: Smoothie with banana/flaxseed/almond milk/lots of greens/carrot/apple/a couple of dates to sweeten (don't have time in the mornings for anything other than a smoothie unfortunately).

L: Roast chicken and veg with greens and chestnuts

S: nuts and a Nakd bar

D: Jacket potato with salad and two eggs or fish (I don't eat red meat). Fruit to finish

My serving are pretty big, I'm eating a lot of potatoes to ward off the bread/rice longings. I get that the smoothie is not ideal and that I'm relying too much on dates/nuts/nakd bars but is there anything else I'm doing wrong? Am I just not right for W30 and what is your advice re: osteoporosis?

Be wonderful to hear your feedback.

Thank you

Si

If you have time in the morning to make a smoothie, you have time to reheat an egg bake or some other food you'd previously prepped. That you need a snack is a pretty good indicator that you're not getting enough food in your meals and your breakfast is the first place I'd go to fix that. 

Thanks for getting back to me Laura, the smoothie isn't necessarily made in the mornings and anyway that would mean eating 3-4 eggs a daily which I don't think is advisable.

Is there anyone on the Whole30 team that might be able to advise, particularly regarding the other points such as no results so far (day 23) and easing my osteoporosis? I'd really appreciate it as I'm a bit down about it, I was really hoping the W30 was for me.

3-4 eggs in one *meal* is typical if eggs are your only source of protein. There are vegetarians who do the Whole30 and eat 3-4 eggs at every single meal. I think you might be falling back on the old, debunked, "eggs are bad" thing.  

If you're not feeding your body enough and hitting all the major points at each meal (at least 1 palm sized portion of protein, a boat load of veggies, and sufficient *added* fat), then none of the other things you're looking for are going to fall into place. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Si15 said:

I'm not sure that eating 12 eggs a day would be recommended by many people. Laura, it would be great if I could get someone from the Whole30 team to look at my emails, Is that possible?

You might go ahead and do a bit of research on cholesterol and blood cholesterol as dietary cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol as was once thought... which means that there's not really any reason not to eat eggs at every meal.  We had someone do a full Whole30 with only eggs as protein.  It's entirely up to you of course.

As far as your emails, if the content of them is such that you'd like feedback on meals etc, it's something that we cover here on the forum.  The Whole30 team generally does not do private 1:1 coaching via email - if you would like to hire a coach tho, please feel free to click on the coaches button at the top of the page.

As far as your meals, you're definitely not eating enough.  Laura was right about the smoothie, which altho not against the rules is not going to get you the results you're looking for such as energy and not being cranky.  Osteoporosis is not something that can be 'cured' by food.  Sometimes the inflammation around the area can go down and that can make the side effects less painful.  

How much chicken are you eating at the lunch meal? Where's your fat at your dinner meal?  Have you looked at the rules AND recommendations on the program to get the best out of your time?  You can find the rules vs recommendations article linked in my signature below.

Since you eat other sources of meat, you can eat chicken or fish in the morning.....doesn't have to be only eggs.  Something like: http://paleomg.com/chicken-enchilada-bake/  (Yes it has 3 total eggs spread out over 4-5 servings.....leave out the optional goat cheese, double check any sauce ingredients) would be quick to re-heat up.  Also take a look and make sure you're adding fat to the meals....hard to say with the way you've written it out.

Thanks for getting back to me @slc_melissa really appreciate it. To be honest after @laura_juggles and SugarcubeOD advice it felt like Whole30 wasn't for me. Obviously health is a field where there's much to learn, as far as I know there's no studies on eating more than 5 eggs a day but that doesn't mean there aren't concerns (that haven't been debunked). Suggesting eating 12 eggs a day feels irresponsible to me. Cholesterol aside, there are links to breast cancer and other very serious issues. Anyway after feeling uncharacteristically depressed from days 21 onwards, I ate a falafel roll and was feeling much less down within a couple of hours. I was really hoping W30 could help to ease the inflammation around my osteoporosis. Sadly, I don't think it's for me but wanted to thank you for getting back to me with a helpful response.

Archived