9 days in and frustrated

Slgvt

HI @Slgvt, would you be able to share with us what you've been eating the last few days? This could all just be normal body adjustments, but there also may be something specifically triggering what you are feeling. Remember, your body is always changing, so you can't expect it to react to a W30 the same way the second time around.

Sure thing...   here’s what I’ve had...

Monday

breakfast - 2 eggs, spinach, and handful of raspberries.  I had bulletproof coffee with half teaspoon of MCT oil and half teaspoon of coconut butter

lunch - About 3-4 oz chicken with salad, Bibb lettuce, tomatoes grapes, Carrots and walnuts

snack - handful of pecans

dinner - large portion salmon (prob 8-9 oz), green beans with olive oil and salad with tomatoes cucumbers pine nuts and primal honey mustard dressing

after dinner GTS kombucha

tuesday - I ran 6 miles in the am

breakfast - ham and egg bowl and banana

lunch - salad left over from dinner night before with about 4 oz of grilled salmon

snack - dried fruit and nuts from Starbucks kombucha gingered

dinner - marinara sauce with ground turkey over zucchini noodles.  After dinner I had a few dates and a kombucha and detox herbal tea.

wednesday - boot camp and horseback riding

breakfast - 2 eggs spinach and orange

lunch - salad arugala, carrots, tomatoes grapes and walnuts

snack - walnuts and banana

dinner - left over marinara with ground turkey over package of cauliflower rice, 3 dates handful of raspberries, handful of baby carrots.  Kombucha GTS gingerade

Looking forward to your feedback

15 hours ago, Slgvt said:

This is my second whole30 and it is not going nearly as well as the first was at this same point - 9 days in.  I’m so bloated and puffy, seems like water retention.  Has anyone found relief for these symptoms?

Are you me?  I was coming here for support too.  Day 9 on #2 as well!  For me, I've made it through FAR worse tummy troubles than I had last time and seem to be ok for the last 24hrs, but now I'm flagging.  I like to go through the upcoming circulars and plan my meals around what's on sale.  I'm trying to plan but I've lost all drive.  I just want to give up, eat what I have on hand and planning be damned.  I think I'm also hitting some decision paralysis.

• Moderators

I'm seeing quite a bit of fruit and nuts. Fruit should be limited to no more than two small, closed-fist sized servings a day, always with meals not on its own.  A serving of nuts is a small handful, and ideally don't have them every day.

Try to make each meal match the meal template, with protein, fat, and lots of vegetables.  When eggs are the only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4.

Do be sure you're drinking plenty of water, aiming for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz.

At nine days in, you're also right at the point where a lot of people experience bloating anyway, so it may clear up on own, but nuts definitely cause bloating for many people so they're probably not helping.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, salsasis14 said:

Are you me?  I was coming here for support too.  Day 9 on #2 as well!  For me, I've made it through FAR worse tummy troubles than I had last time and seem to be ok for the last 24hrs, but now I'm flagging.  I like to go through the upcoming circulars and plan my meals around what's on sale.  I'm trying to plan but I've lost all drive.  I just want to give up, eat what I have on hand and planning be damned.  I think I'm also hitting some decision paralysis.

Around day 10 is when people are most likely to quit, so you may be hitting that point about now. Try to find something easy but compliant to eat for your next few meals to get you through this, and it should get better. 

Maybe try a burger patty (I buy frozen premade ones to keep for quick meals) topped with a fried egg on a bed of leafy green stuff with a side of roasted sweet potato. Or a can of tuna mixed with mayo and anything else you like in a tuna salad, with celery, bell pepper sticks, or carrots sliced into "chips" to scoop it up with.

Thank you for your feedback.  One follow up...  I was thinking nuts would be a good source of fat on salads...   what would be better options?  Also, some days when I’ve worked out a lot, for example yesterday, I burned 3000 calories, I’m hungry and looking for something a little extra.  Perhaps more eggs in the Am would help but what about throughout the day?  By the time I get home from work at 630 I’m starving and cranky.  

Hey there! 

Yeah, so you're eating a LOT of nuts as others have said. I consider myself to have a pretty cast-iron stomach (I've been to multiple third-world countries and never gotten sick, even drinking local tap water), but nuts do bother my stomach when I clean up my eating on Whole30. I aim for nuts every third day at most. 

Salad dressings are a great fat source with salads! Most are oil-based, so be generous with your dressing and that's a great way to get some fats in! I buy Primal Kitchen dressings and can find them at my local grocery stores, but even something as simple as olive oil, lemon, and pepper makes a delicious dressing! 

As for working out, don't forget that you get bonus mini meals when you work out. So if you're doing a six mile run, you should be eating protein and fat before your workout and protein and carb-dense vegetable after. It doesn't have to be big, but is meant to replenish what was lost during your workout. I like a hard-boiled egg and coconut flakes before and a couple of chunks of chicken breast and sweet potato cubes for after. 

Good luck! I hope you can figure this out and have a super successful Whole30! It's such a wonderful program! 

• Moderators

In addition to the salad dressing @kirbz mentioned, olives or avocado are great fat sources that work well I  salads. If you like a creamier dressing, make some mayo and then you can add herbs or spices to it to change the flavor to use as a dressing.

The meal template does list a range of portion sizes, so you may need two palm-sized portions of protein, two portions of fat (in addition to oil you cook in), and a bunch of vegetables at each meal -- and if you need more than that, that is also fine, though starting there and adding pre and post-workout foods should make a big difference for you.

This is my 5th or 6th W30 and I have noticed the same tummy issues and never had this much problem before.  In my case, I think it was because I had gone so far off the healthy food train rails that my stomach seriously went into shock. I make sure that I keep drinking a ton of water and that seems to help. 

22 hours ago, Slgvt said:

Thank you for your feedback.  One follow up...  I was thinking nuts would be a good source of fat on salads...   what would be better options?  Also, some days when I’ve worked out a lot, for example yesterday, I burned 3000 calories, I’m hungry and looking for something a little extra.  Perhaps more eggs in the Am would help but what about throughout the day?  By the time I get home from work at 630 I’m starving and cranky.  

Other fat sources are olives, avocado and fatty fish like salmon or sardines (make sure they're compliant if they're canned).  Definitely make sure brekkie is heavy on the protein and good fats to start the day, along with fiber-full veggies.  I made myself a sausage hash- pork sausage, sweet potatoes, broccoli and onions.  It gets me through til lunch.  If I worked out in the AM, I throw an egg on it, but I don't always miss it.  Also make sure you're hydrating.  

Archived