Bipolar AND Diabetes Type 2, Naturopathic health care

Hi! I am being treated for both diabetes and bipolar. I’m also on some unrelated meds, for a total of six. So, my question is, did anyone go completely off their psychiatric meds while doing the Whole30? Did they need inpatient observation to make sure they successfully de-toxed? How can I determine how successful my overall mental health has improved unless I have gone off the meds? My family iadamantly saying that I shouldn’t risk going off the psychiatric meds at all. I’m on the femce, because 

Also, did anyone switch to a naturopathic doctor during the Whole30?

• Moderators

Absolutely do NOT go off your psych medications to do this program without consulting your doctor.  If you feel at the end of the program that maybe you can start to reduce your meds, then that's something to talk to your doctor about also but this program is an elimination program that CAN help hormones and affect mental health but it's not a cure and it is VERY dangerous to go off your meds - believe me, I've done that... it's not pretty.

I have to agree - don't mess with the meds at this point, and certainly not without getting your doctor's input and guidance.

I'm bipolar as well, and one of the worst things that I've ever done was stop taking medication cold turkey. I didn't tweak either dosage or frequency during my Whole30, and even afterward I've continued to follow the same regimen as before. My thought is that once I feel that I've suitably settled into a more healthy lifestyle - including diet (read: what I eat), activity level, sleep habits, and stress management - then I'll speak with my doctor if I feel there's a potential to reduce my dosage. For now, I tweak macro intake to help manage mood stability (this works to support my medication rather than replace it). I would eventually love to be off medication entirely, but my mental and emotional stability is much more important than whether or not I have to take pills 3x daily.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jihanna said:

one of the worst things that I've ever done was stop taking medication cold turkey

I did this with a handful of psychiatric meds at the same time... not only do the side effects of going off the actual pill suck (dizzy, nauseous etc), but the roar of the mental illness (I'm bipolar too) is a horror show!  I agree, it would be nice to one day maybe never have to take meds again but I'm also pretty okay with taking them knowing that that's just how I'm made... people with diabetes or heart conditions or seizure disorders etc... all take meds daily... same thing... 

• 2 months later...

If you were diabetic would you stop using insulin? Your bipolar meds are non-negotiable unless you are working closely with your doctor and have a strong support system around you to watch for signs of instability or symptoms of depression or mania. Absolutely positively it can’t be stressed enough that it’s extremely dangerous and unpleasant to stop cold-turkey, as the withdrawals will incapacitate you. I once forgot my meds on a vacation and let me tell you it only took 2 days for me to feel absolutely awful and it was quite the task to get a local doctor (in a foreign country) to prescribe me an emergency supply for the rest of my trip. Best of luck! 

Archived