Silent Reflux

Have any of you been diagnosed with this? My ONLY symptoms are a bad taste in my mouth when I wake up, and frequent (daily) nausea with vomiting occasionally. I’m on 40mg of Prilosec which helps slightly, and Zofran for when the nausea is really bad. It’s very bad if I have an empty stomach. My doctor can’t explain this really, the next step is a gastroenterologist and a tube down my throat (um, that sounds horrible) so I’m going to try doing a Whole 30 and seeing if that helps. Any experiences appreciated.

Ok so this is weird but I haven’t been nauseous at all ever since I started the whole 30. It could be a fluke...like maybe I’ll get queasy later. It does come and go. It seems awfully early to see benefits, but who knows.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Pandora Black said:

Ok so this is weird but I haven’t been nauseous at all ever since I started the whole 30. It could be a fluke...like maybe I’ll get queasy later. It does come and go. It seems awfully early to see benefits, but who knows.

That's great! I don't think it's too early at all if something that you were previously regularly consuming was bothering you and now you aren't eating it. :) 

3 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

That's great! I don't think it's too early at all if something that you were previously regularly consuming was bothering you and now you aren't eating it. :) 

Well the nausea is completely GONE it’s like I never had this problem. I wonder what it was now. Hard to say if you cut out everything lol

On 5/2/2019 at 7:12 PM, Pandora Black said:

Well the nausea is completely GONE it’s like I never had this problem. I wonder what it was now. Hard to say if you cut out everything lol

That's why you do a really tightly-controlled reintro period when you're done with your 30 days. :)

I’ve forgotten to take my Prilosec quite a few times and the nausea has not returned. Gosh, all this time and it was a freaking food allergy causing the problem. Now I wonder what it was. Gluten was the only allergen on the list I consumed frequently. My re into period is going to be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Pandora Black said:

I’ve been suffering with this for six years! Crazy that diet can fix it.

I'm amazed at what diet can fix - I'm on day 2 of round 2, after round 1 (Jan 15 onward) cured the chronic, ongoing vertigo and vestibular migraine that 2 neurologists, 1 optho-neurologist, 1 ear nose and throat surgeon, 2 GPs, 2 MRIs, a cat scan and 6 different types of medication couldn't fix. I was about to give up full time work.

About 3 week/a month ago, I kind of went back to eating and drinking "normally" (Easter hit, then I was overseas) and the vertigo and migraine are back with a vengeance, maybe even worse. So it's back to a full round, proper reintro and what looks like might be a future of near compliance. 

11 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I'm amazed at what diet can fix - I'm on day 2 of round 2, after round 1 (Jan 15 onward) cured the chronic, ongoing vertigo and vestibular migraine that 2 neurologists, 1 optho-neurologist, 1 ear nose and throat surgeon, 2 GPs, 2 MRIs, a cat scan and 6 different types of medication couldn't fix. I was about to give up full time work.

About 3 week/a month ago, I kind of went back to eating and drinking "normally" (Easter hit, then I was overseas) and the vertigo and migraine are back with a vengeance, maybe even worse. So it's back to a full round, proper reintro and what looks like might be a future of near compliance. 

Wow! I haven’t had a migraine either since the carb flu hit me on day 2. I’m feeling worlds better. And my cravings aren’t as bad as they were.

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, used to have bad acid reflux prior to my first W30. I didn't do my reintroduction very scientifically the first time, just sort of jumped back in and was miserable but didn't know what caused it. 2nd time around I did the slow-roll reintro and kept careful notes.  Wheat and/or gluten were the main culprits for me.  So, yeah, pay very close attention during your reintro and maybe you can pinpoint what causes what symptoms. Its very freeing to know, because then it's that much easier to avoid in the future!

It's funny that my chronic, heart burn like symptoms are one thing W30 didn't fix for me. However, I do have a familial issue - likely a small physical anomaly at the pyloric sphincter - and that's the biggest problem. A small does of omaperazole keeps it in check.

Like Schrod, I will be on this eating plan for the rest of my life with a little wee divergences here and there. I couldn't identify the source of my fatigue or poor quality sleep during reintro - I just know that I sleep AMAZINGLY well and have the energy of a 30 year old (I'm 59) when I'm compliant and that is worth giving up any and every gluten/dairy/wine/sugar/legume/grain containing food forever.  I think legumes were the source of my chronic plantar fasciitis - over 8 years I had: ultrasound, physio, othotics, massage, strength training, eletro-accupuncture, dry needling, shockwave therapy and was on a waiting list for surgery. 40 days of W30 and its gone. because of legumes. ouch

So @Pandora Black, welcome to the club! You're not alone!

On 6/6/2019 at 10:31 PM, Pandora Black said:

I still can’t figure out what I was eating that caused the nausea, all I know is it’s completely gone and if I have to eat this way forever to keep things this way then so be it.

Agreed. My 2 W30s and near compliance the rest of the time have taught me to see food differently. It's hard to explain but I just don't put very much emotional thought or energy into my meals. "What do I want to eat?" has been replaced with "what's in the fridge and what can I do with it?" Coming to a truce with food has probably been the biggest benefit I have taken from this program. Compliance and healthy eating is easier when you don't have cravings. I now define 'craving' as 'wanting to eat a specific food' no matter how strongly that 'want' presents itself.

Enjoy your heartburn free life Pandora!!

Archived