Reintro v2.1 - Day 16 Breaking the Rules

I guess there aren't as many hard and fast rules to Reintro but, since I'm mostly still living a full on W30 with only occasional deviations from the plan in the past week (slice of deli ham 2 days ago for example), I feel like I am still rule-bound... to a degree. I've decided that I am a rule breaker all the same. Here's the big rule I don't follow...

I don't eat breakfast. Like my mother before me, I feel ill if I eat upon rising. Always have. My mother suffered through a childood of being forced to eat breakfast then throwing up on the way to school everyday - imagine! Once she realized I was similarly afflicted, she made no arbitrary (and, we know now, unfounded) rules about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. So, I don't eat breakfast. I get up, drink my coffee (always black - even milk and sugar upset me first thing), go to the gym and eat around 10:30. I eat a big meal then - now fully template driven, and massive. The next time I eat a full meal is dinner with a light W30 compliant snack (proscuitto and melon with carrot sticks) around 2PM. I'm an obesity survivor - I lost more than 85lb 15 years ago and have maintained that until menopause gave me 20lb back. Those are gone now thanks to 2 W30s and 5 months of following the W30 plan.

Please don't jump in with advice - I'm an outlier. In everything there is the majority forming the peak of the bell curve and those of us on the outskirts. I'm a BQ Marathon runner who, at 59 can easily pull off 25 full push ups and backpack over terrifying terrain for hours. I don't eat breakfast. My performance has greatly improved on my W30 - so, no, not eating breakfast.

Conversely, Hubs was a breakfast avoider who gained 70lbs noshing at the fat and carb laden staff room offerings at 10 AM. He eats breakfast religiously now - lost 70lbs 14 years ago and has never looked back.

So - there you have it. I'm a rule breaker.

Anything you want to confess?

I weigh myself every morning. I completed my first Whole 30 in August 2017. I didn't do it to lose weight but was hoping to gain control over binge eating. I too am an obesity survivor - I'm 5'2" and weighed 225 pounds in 2008. I was 168 pounds when I began my first Whole 30 and am now 145 pounds. I'm in better shape at 43 than I was at 23. I run and hike and eat compliantly about 95% of the time. I never say I'm doing a Whole 30 because of weighing myself but it keeps me on track and I don't plan to stop. Don't be like me,  kids. :) 

Lorna, you and I are definitely sisters from another mister - I am a breakfast non-haver, and have been through both rounds of my W30. I don't say much about it in my log because I don't want to be a bad influence, but my first meal is around 11am, if then, and I have only black coffee and herbal tea prior to then. Breakfast makes me queasy, and then ragingly hungry all day!!

It's the only "recommendation" I don't follow.

Schrod - next time I'm in Melbin (2020), we're getting DNA tests together! This is exactly me:

3 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Breakfast makes me queasy, and then ragingly hungry all day!!

I have tried on and off in my life to eat breakfast with disastrous results.

Get your spit ready - I'll be there in March :)

1 hour ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Schrod - next time I'm in Melbin (2020), we're getting DNA tests together! This is exactly me:

I have tried on and off in my life to eat breakfast with disastrous results.

Get your spit ready - I'll be there in March :)

Woot!!! Great time of the year to be here!!

I'm still in rule-following mode, and trying to get back to the template completely before I go spreading my wings to determine what's going to work best for me long-term. I will say that while breakfast in and of itself doesn't make me queasy, just the idea of eating eggs in the morning will sometimes turn my stomach and tie it up in knots... that's a big part of why I started eating my dinner leftovers for breakfast, then putting boiled eggs for lunch. "Regular food" doesn't seem to do it to me, just eggs and egg-heavy foods.

I think if there's one rule I'm not following well right now, it's to do with plated fats at my first meal. I'm not a huge avocado fan, avoid olives where possible because I know they're no-brakes for me, and doing much of any kind of oil soon after waking is an excellent recipe for indigestion... so I tend to be light on the fat in the morning hours. However, that doesn't seem to be making too much of an issue for me, since I nearly always manage to make it 4-6 hours before lunch, so I guess I'm okay :) 

1 hour ago, Jihanna said:

I'm still in rule-following mode, and trying to get back to the template completely before I go spreading my wings to determine what's going to work best for me long-term. I will say that while breakfast in and of itself doesn't make me queasy, just the idea of eating eggs in the morning will sometimes turn my stomach and tie it up in knots... that's a big part of why I started eating my dinner leftovers for breakfast, then putting boiled eggs for lunch. "Regular food" doesn't seem to do it to me, just eggs and egg-heavy foods.

I think if there's one rule I'm not following well right now, it's to do with plated fats at my first meal. I'm not a huge avocado fan, avoid olives where possible because I know they're no-brakes for me, and doing much of any kind of oil soon after waking is an excellent recipe for indigestion... so I tend to be light on the fat in the morning hours. However, that doesn't seem to be making too much of an issue for me, since I nearly always manage to make it 4-6 hours before lunch, so I guess I'm okay :) 

I'm the same with fats in the morning with fats - I tend to have hot smoked salmon on weekdays and count that as a fat as it has more fat than olives, and is on par with avocado. 

Another non-breakfaster here! At least when not on Whole 30, which I am currently so I am eating breakfast. I prefer doing a 16:8 modified fast kind of deal. Coffee in the AM. If I'm truly hungry before lunch I may put a bit of cream in it, but that's really it.  Even when working out, I just don't need to eat first, and actually my belly thanks me if I don't!  As a matter of fact, that has been the hardest part of getting back on W30... remembering and taking the time to eat in the morning! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

The Whole30 mantra is that those of us who are breakfast avoiders have messed up hormonal influences but, since this is something that has been present my entire life and, since I've been eating a W30 regimen for 6 months now (so, theoretically, my hormonal state should be more balanced and natural?) and I still can't eat breakfast, I'm going with outlier. :)

@Jihanna I could not imagine olives as a FWNB! I like them well enough, prefer green to ripened olives, but, at best, I can eat 4 or 5 before feeling over it. What is it about olives that make them so reckless for you?

@JenX I can't workout with food anywhere near my stomach. Even if I run 2 hours after eating a banana, I end up needing to find a place to throw up. That's another rule I break I guess. I'm not a very good W30 person. I suspect I must have a super sensitive gut. It's 9AM here and I'm heading to the gym on my 2 cups of black coffee...

Cheers everyone!

@Lorna from Canada I don't know, but I love them. I love them black or green, big or small, stuffed or hollow. I like them on pizza, in sauces, on salads, on toothpicks, or just on a fork coming straight out of a jar. Admittedly, I'll get tired of them if I let myself go... but it won't happen until I've gone through 3 or 4 jars in a short time frame :D 

There will always be outliers because we're not all the same. By the same measure -- us not all being the same -- there is no one best diet that works for everyone. The whole point of Whole30 (in my own understanding) is specifically to find what does and doesn't work for us... so as far as I'm concerned, you're just running with what you know (and have learned) about your own system :) 

Archived