Protein (beef fat)

Samantha Ribeiro

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I think the main thing with the fat is the possible toxins that could be in it. But that will also depend on how the meat was sourced. The better the source (grass fed and grass finished) the better the fat will be. 

6 hours ago, True Primal said:

If you're worried about low quality meat being contaminated with pollutants etc, why are you only concerned about the fat though?

I'm not all over the science, but I believe that the highest concentration of undesirables in meat are concentrated in the fat (as that's the storage component), so if you're not in a position to purchase higher quality meat, the best step you can take is to remove all visible fat. 

On 6/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

I'm not all over the science, but I believe that the highest concentration of undesirables in meat are concentrated in the fat (as that's the storage component), so if you're not in a position to purchase higher quality meat, the best step you can take is to remove all visible fat. 

Actually, humans are the same. One of the reasons obesity is such a problem is what we store in our adipose tissue. Even years after certain chemicals have been banned, we can see them stored in toxic levels in our adipose tissue. 

Thanks, those are interesting!  They focus on lipophilic toxin molecules accumulating in fat.  It certainly makes sense for some toxins to be more likely to accumulate there.

I still wonder, more holistically, though, if it's really a win to trim the fat off of low-quality meat.  For example, if you feed glyphosate-coated grains to cattle, where does the glyphosate mostly go?  Glyphosate doesn't appear to be lipophilic.  And that's just one molecule (though perhaps one of the more relevant ones).  It seems like it would come down to a question of what are the most commonly found concerning toxins in factor-farmed meat, and whether those are lipophilic or not?

Incidentally, we only use pastured 100% grass-fed beef in True Primal soup.  It might be worthwhile to create a page on this topic, both in general and as a selling point for our soup, but will need to do more investigation.

Archived