Exercise & Whole30

lottabelle

Hi all,

I have just started today and I am super confused on what I should and shouldn't be eating pre and post workout.  So many articles telling me different things and some are conflicting.

I tend to loose weight quite easily and I am concerned the Whole30 will not provide me with enough fuel to exercise.

Can someone please tell me what I should be eating for breakfast after a 30 minute run and perhaps after a longer run.  I generally run in the morning.

Also,  are we allowed electrolyte tablets?  I was thinking for my longer runs.

Many thanks.

• Moderators

This is the latest guidance about pre and post-workout meals:  https://whole30.com/2019/02/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/

So, if you are running first thing in the morning, maybe try to have something before, it might just be a few bites. After your run, have a normal breakfast that meets the meal template, so protein, fat, and vegetables. (Download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Since you know you lose weight easily, you'll need to be you eat enough. Don't forget to add a serving or two of fat at each meal, in addition to whatever oil you cook in, and you might need servings of starchy vegetables at two or even all three meals most days.

Electrolyte tabs are allowed if all the ingredients in them are compliant. Check out the Whole30 Approved page, there used to be a brand or two listed there that are definitely okay, but there may be others that aren't listed there that are fine, just check the ingredients. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach
1 hour ago, lottabelle said:

Hi all,

I have just started today and I am super confused on what I should and shouldn't be eating pre and post workout.  So many articles telling me different things and some are conflicting.

I tend to loose weight quite easily and I am concerned the Whole30 will not provide me with enough fuel to exercise.

Can someone please tell me what I should be eating for breakfast after a 30 minute run and perhaps after a longer run.  I generally run in the morning.

Also,  are we allowed electrolyte tablets?  I was thinking for my longer runs.

Many thanks.

Hi there, and welcome!

It is recommended that you eat a pre and post workout meal. For a pre-workout meal, try eating a small amount of fat or protein such as a handful of nuts, or a hard-boiled egg or two. You want to make sure you are sending your body a signal that it needs to prepare for activity.

For a post-workout meal, you should focus on eating a meal sized portion of protein and some starch-based carbohydrates. An example of this would be chicken breast and sweet potatoes. 

Melissa Hartwig-Urban just made a post the other day about electrolytes. Here is what she recommends, and yes, they are Whole30 approved:

Google: Lytecaps

Otherwise, just make sure the tablets you're using contain compliant ingredients, and if you're unsure, please reach out and we can help you.

I hope this helps! :)

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I really appreciate it.

So would I be having these over and above my breakfast, lunch and dinner?  Is it ok not to for my morning run?

The brand of tablets I have is Zero High 5 Electrolytes,  Would these be ok?  Also what would you recommend I take with me on my longer runs.  I used to take a few gummie sweets but these are obviously not allowed.

Thank. you

Laura

D6A312B8-FD6A-40C8-AADF-3E9D05520C6E.jpeg

The tablets above have Sucralose listed as a sweetener, which makes them non-compliant even if everything else is okay (I didn't check all of the ingredients after seeing that one).

Making an electrolyte drink at home is actually not difficult, and might be an option if you want to avoid purchasing new tabs to use during your Whole30 but still replenish electrolytes during your activities. Just remember to skip any non-compliant ingredients (like not adding anything to sweeten it, beyond natural fruit juice). Here's a post that gives some good ideas:
https://wellnessmama.com/2575/natural-sports-drink/

Archived