Homemade Mayo without olive oil?

I hate the taste of olive oil mayo, made at home or not. There are plenty of recipes out there for avocado oil mayo, but that's a bit outside my budget... so I use a recipe that calls for light olive oil but use high-oleic sunflower oil in its place. It works well, and I'm a fan of the taste and texture at the end. I'm not sure if that's an option for you or not, but wanted to offer it as a suggestion!

• 1 month later...

I just made mayo for the first time! :)  I think it's a bit too tart, does anyone have a recipe that they know is mellower?  More like mayo that I'm used to from the store, less like Miracle Whip?

My recipe had dijon, vinegar, and lemon juice. 

Thank you!

@Irock I'd imagine it did turn out quite tart with Dijon, vinegar, and lemon juice - that's a LOT of acidity! I think you can probably tone it down a lot by using unprepared (dry ground) mustard instead, and opting for either vinegar or lemon juice. Personally, mine always works best when I use lemon juice, because the vinegar just gives a strange aftertaste for me.

Here's the recipe I've built by cobbling several together and then learning what else I like to toss into mine...

I mix my mayo in a wide-mouthed jar, using a stick (immersion) blender.
I add ingredients to the jar in this order:
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash pepper
- 1 large egg (mine goes in cold)
- 1 cup oil of choice (I use high-oleic sunflower oil)

You don't necessarily have to have all the extra seasonings (the original recipe I had called for salt and ground mustard only), but I've found that I like mine best when I've played with the flavor this way. It works great as a mayo spread, and it also works as a versatile base for building flavorful dips or dressings.

The blending method I use is described here:
https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/failproof-diy-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes/print/82759/

Thank you so much!  I'm going to try your recipe. :)

My recipe called for only the egg yolk, anyone have an idea what the difference might be?  

Funny, I don't have a short wide mouth canning jar, looking around my kitchen, I had a flower vase the perfect size!  It wasn't a delicate vase, so I made my mayo in a pretty etched glass container. :D

6 hours ago, Irock said:

so I made my mayo in a pretty etched glass container

That's awesome! I make mine in an old jar that once contained that nasty jet-puffed marshmallow junk. I'm honestly not even sure why we had it, but the jar works perfectly for my mayo :)

Regarding the yolk vs whole egg issue...
Apparently the egg white can potentially lead to emulsification issues, but the posts I've seen saying that all used other methods for blending and I've never personally had an issue with the whole egg and only 1 cup of oil (more than 1 cup wasn't a good thing, when I'd tried a different recipe before landing on the one I adapted for my taste). Also, using only the yolk makes it richer, I guess? I didn't ever try one that only called for the yolk, so couldn't say. You could always try it both ways and see which you like best.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, Jihanna said:

@Irock I'd imagine it did turn out quite tart with Dijon, vinegar, and lemon juice - that's a LOT of acidity! I think you can probably tone it down a lot by using unprepared (dry ground) mustard instead, and opting for either vinegar or lemon juice. Personally, mine always works best when I use lemon juice, because the vinegar just gives a strange aftertaste for me.

Here's the recipe I've built by cobbling several together and then learning what else I like to toss into mine...

I mix my mayo in a wide-mouthed jar, using a stick (immersion) blender.
I add ingredients to the jar in this order:
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash pepper
- 1 large egg (mine goes in cold)
- 1 cup oil of choice (I use high-oleic sunflower oil)

You don't necessarily have to have all the extra seasonings (the original recipe I had called for salt and ground mustard only), but I've found that I like mine best when I've played with the flavor this way. It works great as a mayo spread, and it also works as a versatile base for building flavorful dips or dressings.

The blending method I use is described here:
https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/failproof-diy-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes/print/82759/

This looks great. I am going to try it very soon and will let you know here with my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Yall, i have been trying out the recipe that is in the whole30 cook book and so far i have failed twice....it ALWAYS comes out too runny...i am following the recipe but nope...ive wasted alot of stuff and im wondering if there is a way to make it thicker at this point so i don't have to throw away more than a cup of avocado oil---which is expensive....help!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lgherm4 said:

Yall, i have been trying out the recipe that is in the whole30 cook book and so far i have failed twice....it ALWAYS comes out too runny...i am following the recipe but nope...ive wasted alot of stuff and im wondering if there is a way to make it thicker at this point so i don't have to throw away more than a cup of avocado oil---which is expensive....help!

If it tastes ok, you can use it more as a salad dressing and the fact that it's runny won't be as big a deal. If it needs a different flavor for a salad dressing, try googling whole30 ranch dressing recipes for ideas of herbs to mix in it to get it to taste more like that.

You may be able to blend it with an extra egg or yolk to thicken it up a little. 

Archived