Confessions of a non cross fit foodie

30Canandaigua

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I also am not a crossfitter... I am starting whole30 tomorrow. Your posts are really funny and sounds like you are really doing great. I hope tomorrow isn't to hard. I am already dreading no coffee. Amy

Hi Amy!!!

I thought that life would simply not go on with out coffee. Seriously. I found it most interesting that I don't like coffee, I like the creamer. I realised that I don't NEED coffee... I NEED something to drink in the car on the way to work. I am stuck in a behavior pattern that has been happening for over 15 years, and it really actually has nothing to do with the coffee.

That being said changing ones own behavior is probably the hardest thing to do, in my opinion... At least for me :) My unspoken motto for this whole30 was to change my behavior with food. Why I eat. Why I eat what I do. When I eat. I write performance assessments for associates that I supervise about once a week. I took this whole30 to assess ME. It was scary. I didn't like it. And I certainly didn't like what I have found. I eat/∨ drink because I'm pissed off. I use idiots and stress as an excuse. I use food as a reward. I eat because it's there. Because someone else is. Because I'm bored. I use it as a distraction for something else I should be doing. I have found it quite refreshing to eat.... BECAUSE I NEED NUTRIENTS. Wow. Seems so obvious and dumb. DUH I need nutrients!!! Then why did I eat all of this crapola for all of my life??? Why is this so hard sometimes? I am the only one who is accountable for me, and I am taking responsibility for that. Finally. This must be what getting old is like?

In the end I have forgiven my self for my mistakes and excuses. And applauded myself for getting this far, and facing my own worst enemy: ME.

B- no dice. chai tea for the road

L- pork tenderloin. beets. I had brussels sprout salad and shrimp, but got pulled away from my break and ended up siting on my desk for 4 hours :(

D- 2 smaller grass fed beef patties w/ mustard. acorn squash. coconut milk, cherries, almonds

I kind of... feel guilty for making plans this weekend. Although I haven't seen a few of these folks since the beginning of my whole30... mostly because they had no desire to get together outside of a bar. This is not the first time I have come across this issue, and it makes me sad to conclude that if I choose to cut alcohol permanently, I may in fact be a few "friends" less. Doors close. Others open... I hope.

Why, oh why have I not been reading your log? I was in tears over the yucca.

On a more serious note. I said elsewhere in these forums once that when I stopped drinking years ago, there was a shake up in the faces and places in my life. It was odd (or many other adjectives I can think of) for a while. But then I settled in and like where I am now. Very much.

B- 2 sausage patties. 2 eggs over medium

L- fasting

D- handful nuts. 5 jalapeno boats w/ sausage & salsa verde. (I CANNOT MAKE GUAC TO SAVE MY LIFEEEEEE. Fail #3 done trying.) Smashed sweet potato. Steamed broccoli. Sparkling water splash OJ.

Got a wild hair up my ars and decided to clean out my closets. I took the equivalent of 4 garbage bags of clothes to donate :) 4 winter coats I haven't worn in years. Clothes my mother gave me and I never wear. Stuff that's too BIG. Stuff I've been saving & dreaming of wearing, but even if I could fit into them I wouldn't... Unless it was to a 80's & 90's jam party or Halloween. Wearing a sweater I haven't fit into in years :D

Confession: I am a thrift store junkie and may have also needed an excuse to peruse. I own it.

Picked up a spice rack for $2 that I have been eyeing @ BB&B for $25. Also got myself a few pretty tea cups w/ saucers, now that I drink boat loads of tea :)

It's funny when something you do together seems stronger than the friendship, it's not always alcohol. There's a few people I spend less time with now, as they don't want to eat out unless it's 100% junk. I never realised how crappy they ate until recently and they won't compromise, it's their way or the highway ;)

I've found my good friends always try to be accommodating, even if they get it wrong from time to time, they really try and be supportive.

meet your thrift store addict compadre! (we call them charity shops)

I'm at the moment wearing a pair of 7forallmankind jeans I got for €3 :)

Sweet Score!

When I was saving $ to pay for our wedding my budget was TIGHT. As in I lived off of $100/ month and I had to put gas in my car out of that too. (I drive an hour one way to work!!!) For gifts for my family I actually collected vintage tea cups and poured candles into them. SO CUTE! I have been pretty frugal with my budget since paying off my debt; well except my car. That is next :)

After we got back from our honeymoon I gave myself $500 to go shopping for new clothes. IE brand new cloths from the store with tags on. I couldn't do it. That and I refused to buy clothes that giant. So I picked up a few things at the thrift store and put the rest on my car. Hoping to do another whole30 in the spring... maybe then I'll want to splurge, as the goal is to not be in plus sizes!!! ;)

I'm going cross country skiing for the first time ever this Saturday. I'm so scared/excited! Didn't have any ski clothes, so hit the Goodwill and scored a really cute and practically new Columbia Sportswear ski parka with a zip-out fleece lining for $15!! Mt. Hood, here I come!

B- Fasting- walked the dog w/ my husband. 60 degrees in FEB in UPSTATE NY?!?!?! Crazy.

L- boiled egg. mixed greens w/ shaved brussels sprouts, citrus, almonds, shredded chicken w/ fresh squeezed lime & blood orange EVOO

So... my stye has decreased in size and anger in the last few days. I must say I feel the most amount of body change in these last few days. Especially in my blubber glacier aka my abdominal region. I had not mentioned that analogy to my husband, yet he said I was melting this morning.

I am excited to do my measurements, although I wished I had measured my arms and thighs!!! I feel that's where most of the inches have come from, easily. I guess that's what I get for not reading the book, or following the damn directions ;) On a serious note: I truly feel that if I had actually known & followed the freaking template I would have see a bigger change, but I'm good with the progress I've made.

I whole hearted feel a lot of my inches was inflammation. I am nervous to reintroduce things I love, only find out if they are the cause of my issues. I know deep down it is most likely #1 grains #2 alcohol #3 onions/garlic #4 dairy. I had a long conversation with my mother, confiding my fears and revelations.

She was like: well I've been allergic to that stuff my whole life, but I eat it anyway because I like it... I just know it makes me sick.

ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Yes you just read that correctly. My mother, who I have been discussing my issues with since puberty, just decided to MENTION that she has multiple food intolerance's.

KILL ALL THE THINGS

I try to not strangle her through my cell phone, and ask: Hmmm Do you think that information might have been helpful to me at some point?!! She says: Honey I knew you'd figure it out. Well my breaks over, gotta go, Love You! Click.

I stare at the phone. And come to the painful realisation that she is f**king right again. How you ask? Because if she told me all of this I would have said: yeah right MOM, whatever.

I HATE IT WHEN MY MOTHER IS RIGHT.

First whole30 in the bag! Whoop Whoop!

I asked my husband to do my measurements... I only did bust/waist/hips but that is enough for me :)

Lost the following in inches:

Bust -2inches

Waist -5inches

Hips -4inches

Weight lost-18pounds

I plan to reintroduce beer (i know i know it has gluten- which is probably the issue) then wine, to see once and for all if that is what is causing my styes or rule it out for before moving on. After that I plan to reintroduce limited dairy. I will be sticking to a paleo/primal lifestyle (primarily the challenge from marks daily apple which includes the basic movements & work out plan) and intend to do another W30 in the spring. I was talking with my mother (again) about a goal weight; she said that when I graduated high school and hit college I was 145. I was aiming for 120, but when she said that I recall that I simply never was 120 and came to the conclusion that it is an unrealistic goal... so 145 it is.

Congrats everyone! I'm sure I'll feel the need to alienate you all with some sort of nonsense through my reintroductions ;)

Love your log! I managed the VOA on E Main ST Rochester for 3'ish years before we moved to Florida. Loved it! Even before I worked there we would scour every VOA and yard sale we could find on the weekends. I miss the public market in Rochester. Good times.

Big time grats on finishing your Whole30 and your success! :D

Alcohol reintro: I feel like donkey balls. I had a few berry wheat shandy's and it was surprisingly kind of gross. So I dumped most of the second one and switched to a franziskaner wheat, which I still love. I slept like hell. I woke up in the middle of the night twice to pee. I woke up 2 more times super dehydrated and chugged an 8oz glass of water. (obviously a super fun cycle there) And I think I'll measure my waist. Hold please... Yup. gained AN INCH OVER NIGHT.

Well... shit.

I guess a few days on the wagon and we'll see what happens with wine, although I suspect the same.

I partied like a rock star for the decade known as my 20's. First year into my 30's I have mellowed out tremendously, although it is pretty clear that I need to give myself more than 30 days to let my liver chill the f*#& out right? Especially if I am developing an allergy to alcohol. I had said previously that i haven't seen some folks due to the no alcohol, and obviously this trend will continue. I have actually been "losing" people in my life for quite some time. In fact, the few animals that remain are still shocked that I ended up marrying a cop. They kid me about being a lame married old lady cooped up in the kitchen, while I ask them why they are still sitting in the same crusty dive looking for love amongst the regulars.

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-alcohol-manifesto/

So I just came across this lovely about alcohol causing systemic inflamation.

It seems I have completed this whole30 with my head in a box or something! On a positive note at least I will have a freaking clue the next one I do.

P.S. I couldn't figure out why my car seat felt wrong. I accused my husband of moving it, he didn't. Then I realised i'm sitting lower in my seat because I don't have as much ass!!! Bwahahahaaaaa.

Wrap up on the beer reintro:

Crazy headaches. I never used to 'notice' headaches

Can't sleep

Cried on my way to work today thinking about family stuff

Pooping my brains out

Super thirsty all the time

Gained at LEAST 1" inflamation

My hips, ankles & leg hurt. in fact I have a dull body wide ache.

Energy level just about invisible

While I love the taste of beer, and enjoy it's 'company' after a long day... more than 1 is Not Worth It.

Ate clean today, and basically had sex with my salad. I have never in a million years thought that salad was as exciting as sex, until today. OMG.

Sorry for that unfortunate visual.

By clean I am referring to compliant. STILL WORKING ON THE TEMPLATE.

B- nuts. coconut milk. cherries. raspberries

L- Giant salad: chicken, romaine, olives, cucumber, onion, tomato, mushroom, peppers,salsa verde, olive oil, lemon

D- boiled egg. sweet potato cake. hot chai tea

We got our wedding photos back today! So excited :) and have of course spent too much time online oogling. Kind of annoyed by my backfat. Meh.

I am waiting for my MIL to make some comment along the lines of: "you should have lost this weight before the wedding, especially with how much money you spent". Let's take bets now, she's a real each folks!

I spent the evening in the kitchen, after a 3 day hiatus. Cleaned out the fridge. Did dishes. Made dishes: sausage patties. sweet potato & cinnamon cakes. boiled eggs. mayo. Pulled meat. found a few recipes. made a grocery list for recipes.

Dairy reintro toady!

Even after 2 days back on the wagon, my face has erupted. I think my body is still reacting to the beer. My eyelids have calmed down a touch, and aren't as angry O.o

B- has some creamer in coffee. sweet potato cake. sausage patty. coconut flour cinnamon pancake w/ 5 raspberries

L- 4 slivers grass fed Kerry Gold Dubliner cheddar. NYS steak. Squash w/ grass fed butter.

Today is my gluten reintro day, but I haven't wanted anything badly enough to seek it out. Until I remembered the BEER!!!!

I was so happy to be reminded about that, until I read the rest of your posts about your beer body demise. Really interesting in a weep in my fizzy water with lemon sort of way. Maybe I will wait until Friday to try that out--not sure I want to feel like shite--and I just have a feeling that I may...sigh, sigh, and double sigh.

How did the cheese go? I tried dairy first--some lovely cheese (which was not as lovely as I once recall), and cream in my coffee. It was all a bunch of meh. So I scratched it off the list for the mo. Anyway, I actually find I now PREFER ghee and coconut oil in my coffee. I like the silkiness of it, and I drink LESS coffee (which could have just as easily been ingested via IV drip for me from 6.30a-10p prior to W30)...curious!

So, I've been going through a lot of the logs that began in January, skipping to the last page to read the results, and moving on to the next one. Yours was so funny that I felt inspired to start at the beginning. You're hilarious, and inspiring. It's impressive you're around food all day for work and were able to stay on the program. I thought having to order food for my office was difficult, I can't imagine if I had to make it for everyone!

Congrats on the AMAZING success you've had with Whole30. I hope you continue to post, as it appears you have many followers.

Can you share your recipe for dijon mustard and sausage patties? I tried making sausage once, but it tasted really dry. I suspect there wasn't enough fat in the ground pork that I picked up, but I'm not sure how to remedy that.

How did the cheese go? I tried dairy first--some lovely cheese (which was not as lovely as I once recall), and cream in my coffee. It was all a bunch of meh. So I scratched it off the list for the mo. Anyway, I actually find I now PREFER ghee and coconut oil in my coffee. I like the silkiness of it, and I drink LESS coffee (which could have just as easily been ingested via IV drip for me from 6.30a-10p prior to W30)...curious!

The cheese was... disappointing. I mean, I've eaten my body weight in cheese, so to be on the fence about it is almost frightening . I have found I really don't care for the musty aspect of Ghee,, which is immediately what I noticed about the grass fed cheese.

I have a different cheese I plan to try tomorrow, so we'll see :) I am laughing endlessly at your signature BTW. Eating a sex beast certainly does create an interesting visual!!!

I kind of... feel guilty for making plans this weekend. Although I haven't seen a few of these folks since the beginning of my whole30... mostly because they had no desire to get together outside of a bar. This is not the first time I have come across this issue, and it makes me sad to conclude that if I choose to cut alcohol permanently, I may in fact be a few "friends" less. Doors close. Others open... I hope.

I haven't checked your log in a bit, so I only just saw this. I have been asking myself similar questions. I mentioned it in my Whole100 group log, and it was to me that Nila responded about the faces changing.

It makes me sad to think that some of my friendships are so shallow that they wouldn't survive without the addition of alcohol. It makes me a bit mad at myself for not seeing this before. I've had friends stop drinking before, and I've never dropped them, I've just found other activities to enjoy with them. I guess the problem is not mine if others can't see the value in activities that don't include alcohol.

ETA: Dubliner is my favorite cheese in the world. Or was. But dairy brings my arthritis back and I'm done with feeling 'old'. Not worth it.

Archived