Basic mayonnaise recipe

Whole30maria

• Moderators

Evoo has a very strong taste, and most people who use it to make mayo find it inedible due to the strong flavor. You want an oil that doesn't have a strong flavor on its own, like a light tasting olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil, or high oleic sunflower or safflower oil.

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

Evoo has a very strong taste, and most people who use it to make mayo find it inedible due to the strong flavor. You want an oil that doesn't have a strong flavor on its own, like a light tasting olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil, or high oleic sunflower or safflower oil.

How about canola?

It’s advised to ‘limit the use’ of oils like canola. I suppose that’s a judgement call as to whether your mayo consumption is a large/small amount. I think they say limit use because often these veg/canola oils are used in commercial food prep and therefore a small amount is inevitable. Not sure about using it for mayo though. Is there a specific reason why you can’t use olive? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Whole30maria said:

I have so much EVOO at home and I’ve already been to the store! 

You could try using the evoo and just heavily flavor it... maybe make a chipotle or ranch flavor? The mayo itself will turn out fine but it's going to be a fairly strange flavor if you don't do something to disguise the taste of the evoo... Or make it up plain and then you can add things to it (ketchup, salsa etc) to make more of a 'sauce' that helps disguise the flavor.

• 7 months later...

Archived