Baby Food

lizcol15

I am curious about Once Upon A Farm Baby Food as an emergency food. These are the ingredients: 

Ingredients:

Apple (Organic), Strawberry (Organic), Purified Water, Blueberry (Organic), Pumpkin Seed, (Organic), Date (Organic), Coconut Milk (Organic) (Coconut (Organic), Water), Sweet Potato (Organic), Lemon Juice (Organic)

I am questioning the date... is this allowed?

I guess it’s compliant ingredients - but not sure it’s in the spirit of whole30? Why would you eat this but not an actual apple or whatever? I can’t imagine a scenario where I would have this to hand but not anything else compliant that is better overall. Plus while fruit is compliant, fruit as ‘dessert’ is not, so you shouldn’t eg, freeze it as a sorbet or eat it as a pudding.

after your 30 days you could introduce it but check your sugar cravings because I imagine it’s very high in natural sugars. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

I can’t imagine a scenario where I would have this to hand but not anything else compliant that is better overall

I think as emergency food it would be like throwing a meat stick and this in your bag and letting it hang around in the bottom until you needed it... not sure an apple would survive quite as well.

As far as whether it's compatible, yep, it is. Make sure if you're going to eat this @lizcol15 that you try and pair it with a fat or protein or both - it won't have much staying power on its own but in a pinch, this can probably get you to your next meal.

@SugarcubeODSurely though if you’ve got both protein and fat to hand as well you’d be better just eating those items (eg your meat stick and your mini pack of nuts)? 

I do remember reading in the book about baby food but it baffles me sometimes that certain things are ok when you can’t recreate them yourself (eg use puréed apple and coconut milk to make a kulfi for example) 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Rebecca001 said:

Surely though if you’ve got both protein and fat to hand as well you’d be better just eating those items (eg your meat stick and your mini pack of nuts)?

True... but maybe you had all three in your bag but already ate the nuts and didn't replenish... ;)

I get where you're coming from and it's basically like a smoothie so it's not ideal but no emergency food is ideal... I think it would be a bigger problem if someone were saying they were going to eat this as their breakfast veggies every day or something.

As far as not recreating things, I can say with almost certainty that most people do not have a psychological relationship with baby food like they may do with ice cream or nice cream or pancakes or baked goods... If they DID, then I would definitely suggest that they leave the baby food off for their program.  Maybe think of the baby food as a thick, packaged gazpacho? I wouldn't equate that with the rule of not recreating a version of ice cream...

1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

@SugarcubeODSurely though if you’ve got both protein and fat to hand as well you’d be better just eating those items (eg your meat stick and your mini pack of nuts)? 

I do remember reading in the book about baby food but it baffles me sometimes that certain things are ok when you can’t recreate them yourself (eg use puréed apple and coconut milk to make a kulfi for example) 

Kulfi is basically ice cream, though. 

There are other flavors from the Once Upon a Farm brand that would probably be better choices...skimming their website (I'm always looking for mid-endurance ride fuel that's actually made of food), there are ones with apple, banana, spinach, and avocado, or apple, banana, kale, and hemp seed. 

I used to use baby foot packets all the time as carbohydrate fuel on long hikes and backcountry climbs. I'd usually alternate the yummy fruit heavy ones and the ones from Serenity Kids that are gnarly in taste but full of vegetables like sweet potato, carrot, beet, and spinach. Plus, those ones have olive oil for some added fat. So yeah, I don't see a use for these in a regular day of eating at home, but they are great fuel while doing long outdoor activities! 

Archived