Nighttime snacks and breastfeeding

Hello! I'm new to the forum and on my 9th day of my first whole30. I'm also breastfeeding my 3 month-old daughter. I love it so far and since an initial dip in supply that has resolved, things are going well.

The only thing is that when I have to get up for nighttime feeds I'm sometimes starving! I know that ISWF says to not eat after dinner and on the nights she sleeps for longer periods I don't need to, but when she is up every two hours I'm so hungry that I have to have a snack.

Is this ok? I've been having nuts for the most part since it's quick and I can get back to bed. Any other suggestions for a midnight snack? Again, I know that it is not exactly on plan, but I'm breastfeeding and need to eat to be able to feed my daughter.

Oh, and I'm sure that I'm eating enough at dinner, I have no problem not eating before bed, but around 2:00 after being up twice, sometimes for an hour, I'm hungry. And my little one cosleeps already.

snacks are preferred to going hungry and in your case I might even encourage you to have a fourth meal. If it's not a full-sized fourth meal, then try to make it a small version of the same types of foods, ie. 1/4-1/2 palm-size of protein, 1/4-1/2 thumb of fat, 1/4-1/2 plate of veg. If you can manage it, that will serve you a lot better than a handful of nuts.

I think as long as what your eating is WHole30 compatible then you should eat when hungry. I was ravenous the first three months that I breastfed both my daughters. I never had cravings or became unusually hungry during pregnancy but breastfeeding was completely different.

If you're hungry, eat! I find that when I'm doing more night-time feedings I get hungry at night. :)

I'll also echo adding a fourth meal at whatever time seems to work best for you (for me - it's mid-morning). I've found that's the best way (for me anyway) to keep up supply and keep hunger at bay.

Good luck!

Oh....you could try a boiled egg with a little bit of homemade mayo, or some bits of chicken dipped in guacamole, or vice versa!

When my baby was at the 3 month mark, she would be feeding on me constantly from around 5pm until 10.30 or 11, and I would wonder why I was starving at bedtime after having dinner at 5.30! Best to eat if hungry.

Some evenings we feed the kids earlier then have dinner together around 8pm after they are in bed, I will then have a peppermint tea and go to bed about 11 and that keeps me going until around 8 or 9am. I would eat 4 meals in the day then: 8am, noon, 4pm, 8pm. If hungry when up feeding baby during the night I would also snack but would be more wary of shoving a handful of raisins in my mouth, not eating mindfully etc...I need to keep an eye on the choices I make for a snack and my mental/emotional state and how I am eating the food rather than how much actual food or how many meals I consume. This is why I feel the Whole30 philosophy/approach is so helpful. You make it what it needs to be for your own circumstances. Does that make sense?

Best Wishes

Archived