Whole January

KalinaM

Hello everyone! We've made it over a week now! Things are smoothing out. Not as many headaches, but sleep has been off. Energy getting better. 

It looks like everyone is making it through alright. I'm glad to be doing this, because it's true, life triggers us often to reach for junk food to curb our emotions. I am a junk-food binger. I've had a big problem with it since I quit drinking alcohol and smoking cigs ~7 years ago. I stay in shape since I'm active, but it's affecting my health and energy daily now. That's the main thing I'm trying to get control of, and for good. 

Went to a friend's bday, I made buffalo wings and a compliant coleslaw. Held me over. Every day I've pretty much been eating salmon, beef, veg and potatoes of some sort. Bought multiple of the paleo kitchen sauces that hit hard! Emergencies I'll have a compliant rx bar or larabar. No sugar jerky, hard-boiled eggs, sardines, fruit or trail mix works too. 

I'll check back in soon, and hope everyone has a great week!

Adam

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niya said:

So good. Loved it. Surprised how great it was actually.

Agreed!  I was worried it'd be dry after I mixed everything (I had a little over a pound of chicken and felt like I had extra cauliflower as well), so I added three spoonfuls of mayo and was very generous with my hot sauce.  Turned out perfect!  I ate it with extra hot sauce and compliant ranch because I love saucy foods. Unfortunately, I timed cooking the casserole very poorly - I put it in the oven 20 minutes before I had to leave for my gathering and it takes 45-60 minutes to cook :wacko:.  So I packed up carrots and celery, bought a party-sized guacamole, and left my husband with instructions to pull it from the oven. Glad my husband and I both liked it since it's going to be lunch for the next few days :lol:

1 hour ago, AdamzW30 said:

Bought multiple of the paleo kitchen sauces that hit hard!

The primal kitchen and other compliant sauces are such a find!  They can be expensive, but I justify buying a bunch since I'm saving so much on takeout 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

I'm glad to be doing this, because it's true, life triggers us often to reach for junk food to curb our emotions. I am a junk-food binger. I've had a big problem with it since I quit drinking alcohol and smoking cigs ~7 years ago.

Adam, this is great.. that you see this. I use food to numb, distract and stimulate my need for excitement and motion in my life. I've always been this way. Stimulation junkie. I believe now that it's an escape from lurking depression. Now in my first whole 30 having removed the sugar and dairy etc. depression has hit. Knowing this helps me a lot. I see it as a process of connecting with other things in life that are overall more satisfying when food isn't the go to.

Thank you for your post.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 10:28 AM, CGinDC said:

We do family pizza and movie night on Fridays too! How do you make your wings? I've got the primal buffalo sauce in the pantry and am looking for some ways to use it. I want to do the buffalo chicken lettuce wraps I keep hearing about, but we have two bottles (because Costco) and wings sound like a great option.

I toss the wings in salt, pepper and garlic powder, spread on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper for easier clean up!) and bake at 425 for 45 minutes. Crisps up the skin nicely! And sounds like the exact buffalo sauce from Costco I dipped them in! Also, good for you for having such a green thumb! The deer in my neighborhood would eat anything I plant like a salad bar and I don't have time or patience to set up a fenced in area.... maybe some time in the future.

@____Emily____ I'm going to have to bookmark that casserole! Sounds yummy.

@Niya the "withdrawal" symptoms are no joke, huh? Glad you found this group to keep yourself and help keep me accountable!

@AdamzW30 sounds like you're being very intentional with your motives and you are doing so well! 

Day 9 is here and I'm definitely feeling soooo sleepy and bloated. My daughter is fighting a virus and she's been up at all hours of the night which is NOT helping the "get enough sleep" rule. Hope she is well and sleeping soon so mommy can sleep too!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

• Like 1

Wow so glad I came across all your posts! It's really inspiring and comforting to see how everyone else is doing.

This is my first Whole 30. I have a chronic pain issue and think Inflammation might be involved, so I'm hoping it might help with that. And after reading the books - both It Starts with Food and The Whole 30 - I've also been thinking a lot generally about what I put into my body, how that impacts me, etc.  

I started on Jan 3 (I needed the 2nd to grocery shop and meal prep!) and so far so good. I really miss wine - I don't really crave it, I just miss it. And general beverage variety too - I don't drink tea or coffee and I dislike sparkling water (so no La Croix etc) so it's just water for 30 days. But other than that, it's really going well so far!

• Like 1

Hello to everyone!

Dang, I think I just realized a multivitamin I've been taking the last week is giving me crazy anxiety. B complex are known to do that! I'm heading out for a trail run, hope to get back to myself today physically/emotionally. I hope everyone is doing well! 

@Sheila B Glad you are doing this with us! Whole30 really can help reset your nutrition, and help with inflammation. Just takes a bit. I wish I was doing straight water, but I do like the soda waters and tea. 

@Niya Hello Niya! I do believe it is nice that whole30 gives us time to process our emotions without having to reach for junk food, and find healthier ways to treat ourselves. 

• Like 1

Late to the calendar year start, but girlfriend her bestie want to try Whole30. As a veteran, I know they can be successful, and my inclination to save folks might mean I can get overbearing or mansplaining. Ugh. Anyway, since tonight is New Whole30 Year's Day, there is pork and sauerkraut with mashed taters (ghee and a bit of cashew milk).  I had no idea so many brands of sauerkraut added sugar. Be well all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

Hello Niya! I do believe it is nice that whole30 gives us time to process our emotions without having to reach for junk food, and find healthier ways to treat ourselves. 

Thank you. Yes. As long as I take that opportunity, I'm feeling good. I hear that days 10-11 are the hardest. I have found that I lagged for sure. But renewing inspiration today with a yummy avocado - asparagus salad and chicken dish. The recipes are so inspiring. Thank you for your comment. Rock on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

I think I just realized a multivitamin I've been taking the last week is giving me crazy anxiety. B complex are known to do that! I

Yes, they do. I've had that happen. What helped me is a good dose of vit c powder and water and/or magnesium powder. Feel better.

I'll try to catch up on replies in a day or so. Just wanted to pop in to share that so far day ten is truly the hardest day!! I caught whatever virus my daughter got earlier this week and I'm so miserable! And just want to eat junk. I'm staying compliant but oh this is miserable.

Today was... hard. Day 9 for me, and I just didn't want to eat anything that's compliant. I wasn't craving anything specific, I just did NOT want any of the food in my fridge. Pushed through and stayed compliant, but ugh.

Here's to tomorrow being a better day! And I'm sending good vibes to all of you. :)

10 days down, guys! I am also feeling kind of blah today. I think I might have a sensitivity to avocado, I am not a huge fan of them to start with but every once in a while I’ll have some. And I recall a couple of instances in the past when they have not sit right in my stomach.  Well, the past few days I’ve been adding avocado as a fat source. This morning I had some on my breakfast hash (that I’ve eaten two times prior with no incident) and almost immediately got a stomach ache and pressure headache. Weird. I’ll be avoiding avocado from here out.

We did a good job cooking large enough meals the last few days that we had leftovers for lunches and even dinner tonight, but I’ll have to get back in the kitchen tomorrow—fridge is starting to look kinda bare.

Day 10 and 11 are apparently the days we're all statistically most likely to quit, and I feel that.  Yesterday was my in-office day and one of my coworkers brought croissants and pastries for us all, so I had to turn him down but it was very tempting.  And then a different coworker brought in marzipan chocolate from her trip to Europe and I had to turn that down as well. I'm glad to be back home, where I have fewer temptations (although the corner of the pantry where my noncompliant foods is also calling out to me today).  It's not so much that I'm craving the junk, but I just miss it.  I'm reaching the point where my standard meals are beginning to feel monotonous and I'm jealous at the ease with which I used to able to eat anything that looked or sounded decent, without having to consider whether it was compliant and whether it would be filling enough to get me through to my next meal.  I've done this many times before though, so I know I'll get through it and feel better on the other side.

Stay strong all!

18 hours ago, CGinDC said:

10 days down, guys! I am also feeling kind of blah today. I think I might have a sensitivity to avocado, I am not a huge fan of them to start with but every once in a while I’ll have some. And I recall a couple of instances in the past when they have not sit right in my stomach.  Well, the past few days I’ve been adding avocado as a fat source. This morning I had some on my breakfast hash (that I’ve eaten two times prior with no incident) and almost immediately got a stomach ache and pressure headache. Weird. I’ll be avoiding avocado from here out.

We did a good job cooking large enough meals the last few days that we had leftovers for lunches and even dinner tonight, but I’ll have to get back in the kitchen tomorrow—fridge is starting to look kinda bare.

Same here with the food prep. Days 1-5ish I had so much stuff in he fridge I could just grab and eat. Things are looking pretty bare now. This weekend I'm all about shopping and meal prep!

14 minutes ago, ____Emily____ said:

Day 10 and 11 are apparently the days we're all statistically most likely to quit, and I feel that.  Yesterday was my in-office day and one of my coworkers brought croissants and pastries for us all, so I had to turn him down but it was very tempting.  And then a different coworker brought in marzipan chocolate from her trip to Europe and I had to turn that down as well. I'm glad to be back home, where I have fewer temptations (although the corner of the pantry where my noncompliant foods is also calling out to me today).  It's not so much that I'm craving the junk, but I just miss it.  I'm reaching the point where my standard meals are beginning to feel monotonous and I'm jealous at the ease with which I used to able to eat anything that looked or sounded decent, without having to consider whether it was compliant and whether it would be filling enough to get me through to my next meal.  I've done this many times before though, so I know I'll get through it and feel better on the other side.

Stay strong all!

I know what you mean about the recipe monotony... I LOVE to cook so I have tons of recipes but it's been surprisingly hard to find ones I can easily adapt to Whole 30. I did some internet searching yesterday and today I'm trying an "easy chicken curry" from NYT - even if I don't love it, at least it's something new!

21 hours ago, Sheila B said:

I know what you mean about the recipe monotony... I LOVE to cook so I have tons of recipes but it's been surprisingly hard to find ones I can easily adapt to Whole 30. I did some internet searching yesterday and today I'm trying an "easy chicken curry" from NYT - even if I don't love it, at least it's something new!

I highly recommend the following blogs for recipe ideas - these are some of my go-tos. Most have Whole30 specific recipe sections.

https://meljoulwan.com/

https://nomnompaleo.com/

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/

https://wholefoodfor7.com/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CGinDC said:

@KalinaM the kids are having pizza and I’m making wings for movie night. So excited!

OOOOO--- how'd they turn out?? We did pizza/wing night as well. And my daughter kept stealing my potato wedges and my husband kept stealing my kale chips I made! So my meal was good, too! And the wings go so well in that primal kitchen buffalo sauce. 

23 hours ago, CGinDC said:

I highly recommend the following blogs for recipe ideas - these are some of my go-tos. Most have Whole30 specific recipe sections.

https://meljoulwan.com/

https://nomnompaleo.com/

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/

https://wholefoodfor7.com/

These are all tried and true go to websites for me too! I also found recently what will become a tried and true website in https://whatgreatgrandmaate.com/  Lots of whole30 options there as well.

I've had a virus since Tuesday night. I'm feeling much much better, but still have a cough and congestion. Thursday was absolutely miserable for me. I made homemade chicken soup (totally compliant) and ate that all day Thursday. Didn't bother with the meal template. Oh well. At least I stayed compliant. 

Hopefully I will be feeling the effects of whole30 soon! I still just feel sick. Blah. Bad timing (as if there's a "good" time for a cold?) Anyway. I really hope that Tiger Blood is in the near future. I'm kind of feeling discouraged with everything since I do feel so yucky. But I will keep going because I don't want the last two weeks to be for nothing! 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

• Like 2

Kalina, thank you so much for the websites to great recipes. I hope you continue to feel better and better. I have also been struggling with a bit of under the weather-ness. Feeling sluggish. But trying different approaches and recipes helps me dial into the foods even on Whole30 that aren't the best. I might try plant based next time. To our health!

• Like 1

Sooo my hardest days are NOW. My body is starting to trust me that I really mean it about health. I'm getting regular sleep and digestion is happy for the first time in forever. But the cravings are HUGE. Chocolate, bread, butter. OMG! The fantasies are driving me nuts. I thought I would be in the opposite place. But not breaking my stride. I've come this far. Also, I'm pretty sure - zero - weight loss. Though that was my secondary reason, it's a little disappointing. Probably will happen slowly by sticking with it.