New kid- take on smoothies??

Littlepeanut

I am in my first couple days of Whole30 (read ISWF and loovveeeddd iiitt)... I'm battling celiac and cancer and my big question: to smoothie or not to smoothie?? Some morns i don't feel well enough to stand around cooking breakfast before work and i keep seeing recipes for smoothies; however, per ISWF, it says smoothies remove the natural nurtients... Just curious if someone could give me a more clear version if i can or not :/

Um sorry, no. Smoothies are not allowed on the Whole30. Your body processes liquids differently than solids and you will not have the benefits of eating solids, or the feeling of fullness. Plus, if you were to sit down and eat the fruits and what not that you would put in the smoothie in solid form, you may have a very hard time eating all of it! Please ignore the posts you see on line on Pinterest and blogs claiming smoothies as a good option. So not.

If you are too tired to cook in the morning, the best bet would be to make some of the veggie and egg muffins that abound on Paleo sites and here, as well as egg and sausage casseroles. There is a good one on Marks Daily Apple that I often make. Eggs, compliant sausage, greens, very yummy. Check out www.foodee.com for other Whole30 breakfast ideas.

I definitely recommend pre-making breakfasts. It will help a lot. It takes me less time to microwave my breakfast (usually some kind of egg bake plus some sausages) than it would take for me to make a smoothie or make toast even.

Also, remember that you don't have to eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast -- last night's leftovers are totally fine.

I am thinking you are a good candidate for a cookathon when you are feeling good. I go crazy on cookathon days because I get sick of cooking. So, when I do cook, I make a ton of everything. I love to steam saute a bunch of veggies and then when I want them, I just throw them in a pan with some ghee. I roast at least one chicken or sometimes two. I make 2 crockpot meals and roast up a big tri tip roast from costco. Really, if you do this and eat whole foods according to the meal templates, you may find you have more energy.

Another thought, scrambling 3-4 eggs in the morning is probably as quick as making a smoothie. Orrrrrr.....hard boil and peel a bunch of eggs and they will be all ready for you. :)

I'm a cook-a-thon person too! I do mine on the weekends. Last weekend, I hard-boiled a bunch of eggs. This week, I just finished making 2 lb of pork sausage (recipe for the seasoning is in Well Fed) so I can eat it all week and just have to fry an egg to accompany if I want it. Oh, and I baked 2 sweet potatoes until the skins were loose (makes it SO EASY to turn them into a mash), added 1/2 cup coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. SO DELICIOUS for breakfast!

I must chime in and say that I gave myself a bit of wiggle room in the beginning until I could make the life and behavior changes of "making room" for eating breakfast. This is of course: the whole part of changing your relationship with food right? ;) FOR ME PERSONALLY I have made a nutritious drink of coconut milk/ veggies/ fruit for the road. Is this whole30 in spirit? Probably not. I own it. Reality in my life: It was said beverage or nothing. I went with something versus nothing. FOR ME just having breakfast was half the battle. Do I think that making myself get up 2 hours earlier to eat breakfast would have been a better option for me? No. I have slept wonderfully this entire whole30 except when I've had coffee. Sleep versus non liquefied food. I chose sleep. In this last week or so I have successfully changed my behavior to eat breakfast. While it still isn't the shining whole30 perfect breakfast, it is positive progress and I feel that I have changed my relationship with breakfast. With all of the other challenges I faced, I felt that this one was my hardest. While I was compliant I know that my results may have been better. I also know that I may have given up over frustration about liquefied food, but I haven't :) Moving forward, in the next whole30 I achieve, it will be focused ON THE TEMPLATE... Not just staying compliant. GOOD LUCK!!

Archived