Travel snacks

Littlepeanut

Are you able to take an ice pack on the plane? Like a soft cooler that you can fold up? Been a long time since i have flown--almost a decade so I am not up to date with all the new regs--but I would think you could take a salad with an oil and vinegar dressing to eat at lunch, and if you are able to do an ice pack, you could pack hard boiled eggs and the like OR you could just go with a can of Wild Planet tuna, which is not packed in water, is packed raw and then cooked in the canning process and the juices that do collect in the can are tuna broth--like a tablespoon or so--and you could just mix it in to the tuna or drink it--which is what I do. You could pack raw veggies like bell peppers, celery and carrot sticks, beef jerky (compliant), a handful of nuts to eat with the jerky and veg. I am sure others will have more ideas! Be sure to drink PLENTY of water!

To take with you to the airport?

You can take anything non-liquid or gel... So almost anything will work. But in terms of portable convenience.

Chicken breast, nuts, finger veggies like red Pell pepper sticks, carrots, sugar snap peas. Omlette is pretty portable and not bad cold. Fold and cut into sections. Larabars, fruit like banana or orange or an apple. Slices of roast beef, or if you have time to prep... Chicken tenders dredged in shredded coconut and fried. Mini frittatas with veggies and meat in side... Ultimate in portable protein and veg.

At the airport... It depends on your airport what options you might have. Chicago and Detroit have some possible options, DFWs new terminal has a bunch of stuff too... Where is your connection?

I leave my little town in Oregon and connect in San Francsico both ways. My destination is Dallas, TX (yeeehawwe!!)! :) i'll double check out airports website about maybe taking a little bag of food to eat. I'm not a great "flyer" anyways and i'm mostly concerned about being awake so long and starting Meal 1 at 4 am makes for a looonnggg day lol.

You can take food on a plane. Just no liquids through security. You probably are allowed one carry on and a personal item so however you want to organize it between wallet or purse, food etc. Call the airlines to be sure how many items you can carry on board without charging you. I always fly SWA because they are so lenient but they are all different.

Most airlines let you take 1 suitcase and 1 "personal item" which is generally your purse. I always take a smaller purse that will fit into my second carry-on bag if they get strict about it... happens about 1 in 30 for me. I've become a olive fanatic since starting the whole 30 and we buy the big jars from costco. Olives don't have to be refrigerated. Another option is to make or buy some beef jerky.

It's going to be a longer day so you may need 3 regular meals and a mini-meal at some point.

You get two carry on items... So check your luggage and carry on two bags. Your purse and another bag. You want to be sure both fits under your seat, so I recommend a Tote bag. Anything solid is an option, the restrictions are only on liquids and gels. Quick tip, pack an empty bottle and fill it with water once you are past security. That way you can stay hydrated. Flying really dries you out so drink lots of water and catch the bathroom any chance you get while in the airport. So just think about packing things that will hold all day. So no Mayo. You can't bring sauces or anything like that. The San Franciso airport has some ok stands if you get in a jam... But as far ahead as you are planning, I don't think you will get on a jam. Don't worry about it too much. Just pack food items you like and make sure you have enough to feeb you all day long. Bring your home prepared food and also bring back ups like nuts, larabars, carrot sticks and jerky on the off chance someone in security does not want to let you bring the food. You'll be fine :-)

I do a ton of travel by air and have found that a little bottle of olive oil and vinegar in my 'liquids' toiletry bag and a pouch of Wild Planet tuna in my computer bag (not packed in water) to be lifesavers. You can get grab-n-go plain salads at most airports so just top it with the tuna and olive oil and Voila! I also always travel with carrots, raw nuts and an apple in my bag for emergencies. In my checked bag, I put extra tuna and a few pouches of Justin's almond butter (almond butter on an apple is a handy snack in a pinch).

Another thing to remember is that if you are at least three weeks into your Whole30, chances are good that you'll be 'fat-adapted' and therefore capable of going a lot longer without food if necessary. While it's obviously not optimal, not eating for 6 or 8 hours won't kill you. Ask me how I know! ;) Just make sure to stay well hydrated and eat a good meal once you land.

I've found LARA bars in some airport news stores. They usually also sell little bags of nuts, but cheaper to pack your own if you can. Food that I think would be fairly easy to pack & compliant:

-jerkey

-nuts

-some dried fruit (careful not to overdo though!)

-LARA bars

-if you're eating that day on the flight, possibly a hard boiled egg?

-fruit like a banana, apple, or orange

Some airports actually have some really healthy food options, surprisingly enough. But even in the worst ones you can usually find a salad. I pack an empty bobble water bottle and then fill with water after going through security. Lasts longer than the tiny cups they give you on the flight!

• 4 weeks later...

also as a thought, although you can't usually bring an ice pack through, you can freeze some of your food (Ie meat) for later, then by the time you are ready to eat, it should be defrosted enough to eat; and it helps keep the other things cold as well. my example is one I have done since college; I grilled hamburgers (actually my dad grilled), then I took them with me frozen, by lunch time they were defrosted enough to eat. hope this helps

Archived