FISH OIL!

missmary

I know there is tons of writing about this, and I've read it, but I'm still feeling unclear on whether I should be supplementing fish oil. ...up until now I have been, but I just ran out, so it seems like a good time to re-evaluate.

I get that fish oil is great for off-setting consumption of seed oils, etc., but I don't eat that way. I eat pretty much Whole30 all the time now, with a coconut oil and ghee as my primary cooking fats, and plenty of fats coming from meat and pork and avocado and coconut milk, olive oil, macadamia nut oil mayo, etc. I don't eat a ton of fish, maybe tuna or salmon once a week. I do eat out, but not very frequently, and when I do it is most often a chef run resturant that is careful about food sourcing and oils and etc.

My trainer and my doctor both think I should be taking it (they think everyone should). Anyone out there have a simple way of explaining how to decide if it's a good idea for me, and how much to take? Does one still need to do this once you are consistently eating the whole30 way?

I take a Fermented Cod Liver Oil supplement (with orange oil). I'm taking it partly for the Omegas, partly because it's a great source of natural, digestible Vitamin D, and partly because a lot of people say it's immune boosting. All I can say for now (only been 2 or 3 weeks since I started) is that I haven't gotten sick since starting it. Have I been exposed? Probably. There's always someone in my workplace who's sick at any one point in time, and I've never had more than an annoying sniffle at random times. Is that to say that my immune system is so good that I'm just not catching stuff? Don't know. I guess when I have more long-term results I can make that decision.

• Moderators

I stopped taking fish oil for a while because I was confident that what I was eating gave me everything I needed and I knew the Whole9 view was that fish oil should be temporary until you got yourself together. I figured that all the grass fed beef and good eggs I was eating was enough along with the occasional tuna or salmon salad I ate. However, when my new doctor ran blood work recently, I showed up as needing more omega3s in my diet. Now I am trying to eat some oily fish almost every day - salmon salad, sardines, tuna, whatever. If my numbers are not up at the next blood test, I guess I will supplement again. The lab work said that need for omega3s is variable, so it may be more difficult for me to get enough than some folks, but I have been finding the extensive blood work my doctor is running interesting. I recently started supplementing with B12 because I came up a little low there despite the fact that I eat plenty of protein. Getting older... brings changes.

Tom, did you ask your doctor to run specific tests or is the doctor initiating what tests he's running? I had blood work done in late December but it was standard panel tests.

I want to get another test at the end of my W30 and while I would like to compare it (which would mean the same panels), I am also interested in how my Omega 3 levels are, as well as my vitamin levels.

Oh, hey -- I just started supplementing with fermented cod liver oil so maybe I *don't* want to get the Omega 3s tested right now. I should probably be off that supplement for a month or so before getting that tested.

Still, since this is under discussion right now I'd be interested to know if you asked for specific tests and if so, what did you ask for?

Does anyone take Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Blend from Green Pastures? I've been taking SFH as recommended in the book but some other research has led me to FCLO/Butter Oil blend. I'm researching a lot about pre-natal supplementation but I think that this would be good for most anyone. I'm going to try it once my SFH runs out.

I'm not taking the FCLO/BO blend, but I am taking FCLO/Orange oil (the Blue Ice Orange capsules). I feel great, although I only started it a week or two before my W30. Still, I think I'm going to keep taking it for now, because I have been massively exposed to the mother of all colds at work (STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK :angry: ) for the last two weeks and haven't gotten sick at all...I'm only taking one capsule per day, which is half of what they recommend too!

Does anyone take Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Blend from Green Pastures? I've been taking SFH as recommended in the book but some other research has led me to FCLO/Butter Oil blend. I'm researching a lot about pre-natal supplementation but I think that this would be good for most anyone. I'm going to try it once my SFH runs out.

I use the same kind as MrsStick. I take 2 capsules, and my 9-year old takes 1 capsule daily. It's the only way I can get fish oil down her, and I swear it helps her ADHD!

Archived