Starting reintroduction on feb 1. Any tips?

TracyP

That's a very interesting perspective. You're right: there's hardly anything of the "reintroduced" category that I'd ever be eating six times in two days. Maybe dairy (maybe, if I include cheese and butter and milk and cream).

And bread. But I already know that bread isf food without brakes for me. I will reintroduce to see if I physically react to it but I will have to be very careful with it because I know I have psychological cravings for it.

To my surprise, I missed beans in my chili. I don't have chili often but when I do, I would prefer to have beans in it. But to eat beans three times in one day (never mind six times in two days)? Well, I wouldn't want to do that.

What say the Moderators to what Flynn says?

Well I had dairy today at breakfast and dinner. No dairy at lunch, cause there was no good cheese to be had and I'll be darned if I eat crappy cheese just to have it. Teeny rumblings in my belly and I'm a bit gassy... I passed on ice cream at dinner cause of the sugar. Hopefully tomorrow remains as uneventful. :-)

• 1 month later...

Just as a followup, I've found it can take a week or more for my body to recover from 3 doses of wheat, so keep that in mind for your reintroduction wait times, anything extreme could throw out your following reintroductions.

I split out my dairy reintroduction to not include milk (don't think I'll ever add milk back). Milk has always made me feel funny, but cheese and cream do not.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, then...the ISWF book should not have included "ice cream after dinner" as a sample way to re-introduce dairy? You see...I take the book as bible and I was already very excited about a small serving of ice cream on re-intro day 1! :)

I'm starting on Feb. 1st ... and getting a little nervous about this!

Since I am at reintroduction, I finally let my mind go there and I don't see this as an inconsistency at alll. Sugar is not an eliminated food group and the book does say that we will get sugar with the reintroduced foods (p. 219). What we are watching for is more physical, from what I read. Today I also read that we should pick foods that we really want to treat ourselves with and savour each bite until we are satisfied. This kind of moderation can help us to test foods without awakening our sugar dragons too much.

I know you have probably passed this point, but I thought I'd share my perspectivve anyway.

• 3 years later...

I'm having an issue with the legumes. The only legume I really ever eat is black beans, and only when I have dinner at my mom's house.  Do I really have to eat black beans at every meal? I'm thinking I just eat black beans as I normally would as a side and see how it goes. I think I have a bean and corn kernel problem as I reacted poorly to them after my last whole30, but since I never did a proper reintroduction (thanks Super Bowl), I'm not sure if it was isolated or if I have a true issue. 

Could I just start with non gluten grains, since those are things I eat more often and save corn kernels, popcorn and black beans until the very end, since those are things I rarely eat?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, mbrown88 said:

I'm having an issue with the legumes. The only legume I really ever eat is black beans, and only when I have dinner at my mom's house.  Do I really have to eat black beans at every meal? I'm thinking I just eat black beans as I normally would as a side and see how it goes. I think I have a bean and corn kernel problem as I reacted poorly to them after my last whole30, but since I never did a proper reintroduction (thanks Super Bowl), I'm not sure if it was isolated or if I have a true issue. 

Could I just start with non gluten grains, since those are things I eat more often and save corn kernels, popcorn and black beans until the very end, since those are things I rarely eat?

You can do your reintroductions in any order you want to.

If you think you're going to continue eating mostly Whole30-ish after this, you might consider doing regular reintroductions for things that you either want to include regularly, or that will make eating out easier for you, and then do more of a slow roll reintroduction after you're done with those for things that you have occasionally -- so basically, when you come up with a time when you're going to have beans, try to keep everything else Whole30 so that you can see if you react to that bit of beans.

Archived