Gluten/wheat sensitive

praxisproject

I have come to the painful awareness that wheat makes me feel really sick :o

I don't think I'm Coeliac as my reaction does not seem to match the descriptions. Prior to Whole30 I've never eliminated wheat. I've eaten low carb before and always feel better eating this way, but have often consumed processed low carb items like protein powders and bars and I suspect at least 50% of them would have contained wheat and/or gluten (probably lots of other crap too).

Obviously not eating wheat is the best treatment, but just wondering if anything is likely to flush it out faster or help with recovery at all. I haven't been able to bring myself to eat anything yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to avoid due to cross-contamination or related contents. Is flax okay? Could it be something else in wheat that isn't gluten? I didn't react this way when I reintroduced corn (although it did make me feel crappy). I'm scared to reintroduce anything else now.

Arthritis is back, I'm stiff, sore and I sound like a bowl of rice bubbles (snap! crackle! pop!). The pain is pretty intense, I'm really feeling it after being pain free for a few weeks. Knees are the worst, but I can even feel it in my neck and back.

Sinusitis flared up big time, the works, sore teeth, sore ears, blocked eustachian tube, can barely breathe. Even after medicated steam, hot coffee and a hot shower. My sense of smell is almost gone, pretty scary. I hope this doesn't turn into a full blown infection.

Bloated, I'm all puffy and not just my stomach/innards. My face, my legs, my arms, even my elbows and feet.

My eyes are really sore, dry, tired feeling and a little blurry.

Muscle fatigue. I feel like I've been mountain climbing and full of lactic acid/DOMs. Not sure if this is inflammation or what.

Skin is irritated, no rash or anything, but the surface is harsh and the pores seem inflamed a little, tiny bumps.

Energy has gone, re-reading my workout, my brain doesn't even believe I did this, let alone could do it again. I feel completely drained, unmotivated and tired. I miss my Tiger Blood :(

Mentally I'm having trouble concentrating, remembering, I'm finding it hard to be positive and plan ahead. Nothing seems appealing, food or activities. Complete CBF feeling.

I find that taking a bromelain/quercetin supplement helps with the sinuses.

I ate wheat over the holidays, for 10 days, and by the end of the time my back and hips were screaming in pain as we walked around the city. I feel like it was pretty much the last straw for me. I think it usually takes about a week for all the symptoms to die down.

• 3 months later...

Oh, and for anyone reading this with a new found gluten intolerance, you still need to be tested for Coeliac as not everyone gets the same symptoms. If you test positive, everyone in your genetic family needs to be tested too. Testing positive however does not mean you are Coeliac, just a chance of 1 in 8 that you are, further tests are required. I haven't been tested yet, as the test involves eating the equivalent of four slices of wheat bread daily, for two weeks! I am just not feeling well enough to do that just yet.

• 8 months later...

About time I updated this thread.

I have a reaction to almost all grains, wheat is just the strongest reaction. Corn is second, yellow corn being worse than white. Rice is the least reactive, but I feel less well when I eat it.

Anything in this grouping is the worst: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolamin

I did attempt the "gluten challenge" for the Coeliac test, but only made it to day 8 of the 8 weeks, heart was pounding.

It takes awhile for my body to recover from gluten, my eyes/sinuses settle down on their own, but nothing makes it faster.

After I tried to introduce gluten back in after my first whole30 I discovered it was NOT for me. I realized what had been causing my migraines and sinusitis for years!

When I eat even the smallest amount of gluten I get achy and sore everywhere, my chin breaks out, I get welt type sores on my back and chest and and I get cold sores all over my lips. My lips hurt SO bad when this happens. I also experience tummy troubles and major bloating. Needless to say this makes me very leery of eating out!

I don't think I have celiac disease, but I'm very hesitant about the test as well. It seems much easier to just avoid gluten and wheat altogether!!

Archived