Raynaud's

mdaper

Hello -

I suffer from Raynauds (cold hands and toes that turn white and painful when exposed to cold temps). The winter has been particularly bad which is why I decided to start the Whole30 on Jan. 28th. I am 12 days in an unfortunatly my symptoms have gotten worse. I have read that the Whole30 helped some people but it also made others symptoms worse. I'm thinking about adding some brown rice and steel cut oats back into my diet to see if it helps. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

• Moderators

I don't know why brown rice and steel cut oats would help, but you might need to increase your carb intake. The Whole30 is not necessarily a low carb approach to eating, but many people don't get enough carbs when they do a Whole30 and that can be a problem for a range of issues. Instead of rice and oats which come with health issues, you could eat more sweet potatoes, butternut squash, turnips, or rutabagas, and other sugary vegetables like carrots, parsnips, or beets.

I have been taking Natural Calm for extra magnesium, a potassium supplement and salting my food more liberally with sea salt, per my doctor's instructions. I have also been making bone broth (don't forget a bit of apple cider vinegar to pull out more of the minerals) and coconut water when I run out of broth. The broth is the best imo but I go through it fast and can't keep up my bone supply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have Raynaud's that just started to come on a few months before W30 in one finger and now a couple of months into W30 (I've extended to test things like FODMAPs more accurately) it's started on a second finger. Perhaps following AIP would give you some improvements? It's something I'm toying with myself, less because of the Raynaud's and more because I still have persistent skin issues (actually, worse skin now).

I have Raynaud's as well. In ISWF Raynaud's is listed as one of the diseases associated with systemic inflammation.

I agree with Anna that you might need to tweak your diet and possibly try an AIP. I am struggling with this idea of endlessly analyzing and tweaking but I have psoriasis that is not improving much with straight up W30. IT might also be a case of things getting worse before they get better? I never get allergies in April but I did during my second week and they were worse than ever. It might be symptoms of detox (not sure if that's a real scientific thing?) or just because your body is doing so much work adjusting to a new way of eating.

I'm not sure why adding oats might be a good idea? Are you reading something that says carbs help? If Raynaud's is associated with systemic inflammation then oats are likely to make it worse.

I have had the Raynaud's for as long as I can remember and I always just thought I had "bad circulation." My grandfather had it and I just assumed it was genetic. Till I read ISWF. (Though it was the worst when I smoked in college.) Yesterday it was a very cool spring day which is generally the worst weather for my R's. (Worse than a freezing cold winter day--moisture in the air seems to make it worse for some reason.) My fingers were cold but didn't get white.

ETA: as I was writing this my toes turned completely white on one foot...

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

I have Raynaud's and unfortunately it does not seem to be any better since I went Whole30/Paleo in March 2013. I have a second job as a dog walker 4 evenings a week and even when it's in the 40s or 50s it occurs (and I always wear gloves or mittens).

I was optimistic that the Whole30 would cure me, so I'm a little bummed. Of course there were a boatload of other benefits, and I love eating this way (I eat strict Whole30 almost every day, with the occasional indulgence). I'm holding out hope that over time it might improve.

• 2 weeks later...

If Raynaud's is related to inflammation, the AIP might be of some assistance, as well as things like tumeric or avoiding nightshades.

I have inflammation problems and avoiding all grains and pseudograins as well as dairy and reducing my "nightshade load" has seen big improvements. I didn't need to eliminate nightshades altogether, just cut them right down (I lived on them).

Archived