Is there any "treat" recipe using fruit juice? Please help with recipes!

sjb

I'm on day 10 of Whole30~ prior to this I was gfcfsf for several years and the last year we started Paleo and the last 7 months we ate a strict GAPS diet. So, that's my background. I just want to do the Whole30 to lose about 5-7 lbs... I'm doing a lot of pilates and am trying to get more toned. I'm looking for changes in my skin, thinking maybe some problems are related to an allergy, maybe to coconut. Most of all I'm addicted to sugar (or most recently treats with honey since I've been eating GAPS/Paleo) so I'm looking to have more control around the treats I bake, though they are much healthier than treats I used to eat years ago. So, what I'm asking is can someone provide me with some recipes or options using fruit juice as a sweetener so I feel like I'm getting a little treat rather than suffering? There must be something the Whole30 crowd is making to enjoy!!!

sjb -

Congrats on coming so far in your health journey!

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to help you find the recipe you're looking for. The Whole30 as a program was created as a month-long exercise in healing the body and resetting our psychological relationship with food by consuming only foods that make us healthier in those areas (you can find more detail on out site and in Dallas and Melissa's book It Starts With Food). Unfortunately, baked "treat" recipes - even when they contain technically compliant ingredients - don't fit that bill.

This program is NOT specifically a weight loss program, though weight loss principals are mindfully included in the meal planning template. Improving health is always a great goal, though, so if you keep that as your aim you'll likely find the satisfaction you're looking for.

As a sugar addict, and someone who is struggling with self control around "treats", I would really recommend that you stick to the program guidelines and best practices (3 meals, little to no snacking, MealSimple template, no recreating unhealthy food choices). Change your HABITS rather than changing the ingredients in the foods.

Welcome! I hope this helps you!

Robin,

Somehow I knew that was the response I would get....I was just hoping! I didn't want to be suffering while others were whipping up some fantastic concoctions! I'll make it, just struggling a little....and I love to bake! Thanks for saying what I needed to hear!

Sarah

Sjb - I felt as you did in the beginning - I mean there has to be something that I can enjoy to satisfy that sweet craving. I mean I seriously love baking. It relaxes me. You're also talking to someone who *had* to have a spoonful of brown sugar every morning along with my cereal - for roughly 35 years.

I have a couple of comments/questions here. Have you read It Starts With Food? If you have great. If you haven't you should as I will explain below as for why.

For instance, this morning. I am post whole 30 - but I am craving chocolate like crazy. Specifically brownies. Now I can try to have an apple, or a handful of raisins in hopes of quelling this craving. But what I am doing? My body is throwing a sugar a fit. And what am I doing - feeding it sugar (so to speak in the form of fruit) So you just feeding your inner sugar dragon by doing this. So making yourself a "Technically compliant dessert" is not recommended. You're looking to have sex with your pants on - SWYPO. And trust me - the cravings will only get worse and not get better. I have been to that place where you are.

My recommendations - find truly delicious savory meal that you really enjoy - for me it's Well Fed's Pad Thai. Then I have a serving of fruit right after. That way mentally I am happy as I really enjoyed my food, and I had the sweet finish that I like. So I feel truly satisfied.

Good Luck!

sjb, I used to eat a paleo dinner with my gluten intolerant husband, then snack later on whatever the heck I felt like. During W30 ("ended" early Feb but I'm mostly still eating clean) I worried about going off-plan because of hunger or cravings. So I would make sure to have at dinner (and as leftovers for lunches) protein, at least 2 veggies, and some yummy fat like homemade mayo. These meals were very satisfying, especially when one of the veggies was a filling one like squash or sweet potatoes.

For when I got hungry between meals I would have handy a small baggie of yummy trail mix with compliant nuts, dried fruit (small proportion) , caramelized coconut, and cacao nibs.

And toward the end of the challenge I discovered coconut butter (I used Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate). A teaspoon or two with a sliced banana or blueberries and nuts alongside eggs and veg for breakfast and I was in heaven.

If I was desperate to munch (which happened just a few times) I would have about a half cup of salted in shell pistachios.

I also had about 8 ounces of kombucha per day, in a wine glass, which always felt special.

A moderator may want to weigh in on these strategies, but for me they helped me to stay happily on the program and are making the diet sustainable.

I would never have thought I could go 30 days without feeling deprived, but that's exactly what happened! I feel like if I could do it, anyone can, sugar and junk food addict that I was.

Best of luck to you--it's definitely worth it!

Great tips above. I have a follow-up question: you've mentioned in two posts that you are suffering (and it sounds like you believe anyone doing a Whole30 is suffering as well). Can you describe what you mean by suffering, and what you are eating that is causing that suffering? I ask this because I'm on my third Whole30 and I'm totally thrilled by what I eat. I still have sugar cravings, no question. But it's not suffering, because the food is so good. If you're actively suffering, I'm wondering what that means and where it comes from, and how this forum might offer some substantive help to relieve that experience. I don't believe Whole30 is about suffering - it's about abundance, feeling full and satisfied and enjoying food and life. If that's not happening, there could be a variety of reasons - so what's the suffering like, and how can we help?

I don't believe Whole30 is about suffering - it's about abundance, feeling full and satisfied and enjoying food and life. If that's not happening, there could be a variety of reasons - so what's the suffering like, and how can we help?

I don't think so either, but having just finished my first whole 30 in January, I can say its not a walk in the park either... So, yes on day10 to be still struggling, is normal. Your body is detoxing and demanding back what you have taken away. Emotionally you are not sure what the day will bring because your body's hormones are adjusting to a healthier state. But on the way.... It fights you a bit. So, I would recommend the book. And or the daily email. Because it gives you a eye to the long game. The place where you feel more energetic than you have in ages, where your skin glows and your mood lifts. But before you get there? There might be some tough days... So hang in there and read up on what to expect. It helped me tremendously.

I don't think so either, but having just finished my first whole 30 in January, I can say its not a walk in the park either... So, yes on day10 to be still struggling, is normal. Your body is detoxing and demanding back what you have taken away. Emotionally you are not sure what the day will bring because your body's hormones are adjusting to a healthier state. But on the way.... It fights you a bit. So, I would recommend the book. And or the daily email. Because it gives you a eye to the long game. The place where you feel more energetic than you have in ages, where your skin glows and your mood lifts. But before you get there? There might be some tough days... So hang in there and read up on what to expect. It helped me tremendously.

Great thoughts TracyP. Like so much of this journey, what might seem to be no big deal to one person may mean everything to another. I sort of feel it may correlate to our previous diet but not always.

Maybe it's a question of semantics. I read the word "struggling" and I think, OK, that's pretty normal. I read the word "suffering" and I imagine things like crawling through the desert with no water or shelter - it reads, for me, as a much more extreme experience. I would expect someone to struggle (I've mentioned elsewhere that I have cravings that never ever go away no not ever, so I get that); but actual suffering? I kinda feel bad for our OP and I want to offer support that can help take that suffering down a hundred notches or so to struggle. It's the difference between frustration and agony. I wouldn't wish agony on a Whole30er, and I'd hope there would be resources that could dial that back to frustration that could be gotten through.

That said, if I've mis-read the word "suffering" through my own lens, then certainly it makes sense that changing one's relationship with food is going to be a big deal. Been there done that got the (slightly smaller size) t-shirt, yeah.

Lotsa love and light to sjb.

Maybe it's a question of semantics. I read the word "struggling" and I think, OK, that's pretty normal. I read the word "suffering" and I imagine things like crawling through the desert with no water or shelter - it reads, for me, as a much more extreme experience. I would expect someone to struggle (I've mentioned elsewhere that I have cravings that never ever go away no not ever, so I get that); but actual suffering? I kinda feel bad for our OP and I want to offer support that can help take that suffering down a hundred notches or so to struggle. It's the difference between frustration and agony. I wouldn't wish agony on a Whole30er, and I'd hope there would be resources that could dial that back to frustration that could be gotten through.

That said, if I've mis-read the word "suffering" through my own lens, then certainly it makes sense that changing one's relationship with food is going to be a big deal. Been there done that got the (slightly smaller size) t-shirt, yeah.

Lotsa love and light to sjb.

Yep... I'm with yeah... No wants to suffer... But there were some days, where I did! I came out to a great place though... Hopefully sjb, you will make it there too!

Sounds like part of the problem is you miss the baking experience as much as the eating treats and both have strong meaning for you. When that's gone, it's hard. My only advice would be to learn to love preparing nutritious meals as much or more than baking and remake a new belief pattern as you do so like "when I prepare nutritious meals I am giving myself and family the deepest kind of love and health". Also, I've read GAPS and while it is useful for healing it is not a very pleasurable eating style- very bland. If you are well and can have spices and all the compliant foods I think going through Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan would be really fun and a major treat for your tastebuds. Her recipes use small amounts of nuts and fruits as flavor components in well balanced meals- so a great way for you to learn to enjoy that sweet taste without spiking your blood sugar. And she is darling and fun and so is the book.

I could say I 'suffered' during my first W30. I didn't read the book, only the list of restrictions here, and I cut out all non-compliant food, but didn't change my cooking and eating habits or introduce any new recipes. I ate as I always had, but denied myself the forbidden foods, so I felt deprived the whole month long. I toughed it out on willpower alone, and dreamed of all the things I would eat when it was over.

My second W30 was when things turned around for me. I made a commitment to try some of the recipes others were raving about. Instead of my traditional meat/potato meals without the potatoes, I branched into Thai, middle eastern, Indian, etc. recipes that made me feel like I was eating at gourmet restaurants, often for surprisingly little effort.

It wasn't until my mind made the shift from shutting out the things I could not have, to opening myself to the possibilities of all I could have that it began to make sense. And now I LOVE my options. I may never be finished with this because there are still so many recipes I haven't yet gotten to. Instead of mourning my losses, I am reveling in the unlimited options I now see for healthy eating.

Archived