March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

kat I think it's usually best to listen to your instincts. If in the past you've thought it was the meat, and you're wondering that again now, maybe back off from meat - while they talk about facing down one's cravings etc etc NO ONE says this should hurt. so given that you have chest pain, and this is increasing .. well I would talk with your doctor .. or if you can find a functional doc or nutritionist to help guide you .. because pain is your body saying something. there's nothing valiant about finishing 30 days of anything if it doesn't feel right to you .. and you can always come back to another whole30 .. ya? it may be something completely separate from whether you're eating too much meat, or meat at all, but until you know more, following your own nose seems wise!

(that being said, it may be that by reducing the quantity of meat at any one meal, and making sure you're only eating grass-fed meat, and having more fish/poultry - but again in (much) smaller quantities - might help .. for myself I've been finding that 40-50g beef once a day is way more than enough, with 40-70g of fish or duck or turkey for a second meal, and for the third .. well I've been alternating between a coconut milk & berry smoothie, and kale w/apple, rosemary and bacon (or the closest I can find without added sugar in France), and bone broth with vegetables, for b'fast. The Perfect Health Diet/Jaminet (p78) recommends daily protein intake be around 15% of energy - which actually seems quite a bit less than the 3 palm-sized portions ISWF encourages .. at least measuring by MY palm!! btw the Hartwigs praise the Jaminets, and the Jaminets praise the Hartwigs, so at the end of the day don't we really just have to decide for ourselves?!)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hillwalker, thank you so much for your response! It was very helpful and gave me some great ideas! I did some research. I talked to my Dad and he suggested I try the Mayo Clinic diet for people who have acid reflux (which I have). It's very similar to the whole30 diet, no grains, etc. But one thing I noticed is the Mayo Clinic says to stay away from sweet potatoes, bananas, dates, and cashews...well I have been eating 1-2 sweet potatoes a day PLUS a banana every morning with my breakfast! And over the weekend I had 2 Lara bars made of nothing but dates and cashews! Eeek! Sooo...I'm going to stay on the plan but cut these things out. I also bought some over the counter acid reflux medicine and I swear I'm already feeling better! I'm going to limit my meat too, so I'm feeling more hopeful. Also, I'm going to alternate my breakfast like you've been doing b/n scrambled eggs with kale and apple and a coconut smoothie. So thank you for the idea! So keep your fingers crossed. ;)

Anyone else considering going Whole... whenever? I'll be doing at least 45, probably 60 (since hubby just started his last Saturday), and I'm sorely tempted to go the full 100, because I just adore the way I'm eating and feeling.

I will be weighing in on Day 31, which is Sunday for me, though. No sense in being silly about it, lol.

Today is day 27 for me and I'm sick. I caught something from my son's friend who was over on Saturday. I have a tight sore throat and overall achiness. Blah...

Kayjay, I am totally stressing over what to do on day 31. I feel the same way you do about wanting to just continue. But I fear that if I don't carefully start re=introduction of the things I think I want to add back in I might fall off the wagon one day. I actually don't want to re-introduce much anyway. Sugar is out due to my massive sugar dragon. The only grain I want is corn. The only dairy I want is cheese and occasionally butter if I don't have access to clarified butter. The only legume I want is peanuts, but I could live without them. But even those few things encompass 3 of the bad food groups. I really don't know what to think right now.

As for thirst: I have been drinking about 10 cups of water a day without even noticing. It used to be that I would try to force myself to get 6-8 cups in. My sodium intake is less than half of what it used to be and there are very few carbs needing water for processing so I am baffled at my constant thirst. :wacko:

Kayjay and Bicky,

I would like to do a Whole60, but fortunately(unfortunately?) I'm traveling to visit a college buddy in Louisiana over Spring Break. I know I'll end up eating off plan at least a portion of the time I'm there, and since it's been years since I've been to Nola, I'm not going to beat myself up over having a beignet at the Cafe du Monde. I think I'll probably start another Whole30 shortly after I return from my trip, and then actually do the proper reintroduction at that point. I don't care to add back much dairy, just some occasional cheese and butter, and possibly some natural sweeteners. I love how I feel right now and plan to keep eating this way the vast majority of the time. I'm looking forward to weighing and measuring this weekend, although I think I'm going to do that Saturday morning, since I'm headed to the in-laws Saturday night for Easter. We're almost finished! :D

Just a Whole30 for me, although I admire those of you that are expanding your journey. I am enjoying how I feel, but also looking forward to reintroducing some foods, maybe not so much because I've missed them (I have missed some more than others!) but for variety and convenience, especially around social eating.

I will probably mostly continue with this style of eating and using the template, adding back the foods I can tolerate sometimes, but of course avoiding any that definitely cause problems (super curious what these are!).

Laura - My cravings are totally intense now. I didn't have a probelm with them before but now they are driving me insane.

I agree with previous poster about this becoming routine. I'm enjoying the planning aspect of it and always having something to eat in my fridge however I am looking forward to adding a few thing things back (as long as I can tolerate them) but wheat and dairy are gone, except or some pasture butter and maybe occasional cheese. I enjoy eating like this. I'm probably going to adopt the 80/20 rule and give myself a pass on special occasions (like my birthday). I don't think I can maintain the strict rules of W30 long term but I can maintain the general concept and the meal structure.

The biggest changes I have noticied so far are clearer skin, no sinus congestion (which is huge for me!) and my clothes are loose :)

Seems the fates are against me. Monday I had a late meeting and so didn't hike. I did make a point to go out for a ride though.... took my horse long trotting for 5 miles.

Then today when we showed up for our lesson (after hauling out for an hour to get there) he came up lame. :angry: So I didn't get my lesson, and when I gassed up the truck I succumbed to a Diet Pepsi. And... I really enjoyed it.

So I can safely say this month's Whole 30 has been a failure for me! :blink: BUT I do know that although I went off road, I stayed 85% compliant overall and I'm wearing my skinny jeans. I'm sleeping well (though I probably won't tonight due to the DP) and when I stay away from sugar, I wake up with a clear head and lots of positive energy. Heck even though I was frustrated this afternoon, mentally it didn't wreck me, other than the kneejerk reaction for something I know is not great for my body... if that gas station had only sold Kombucha I would have been fine! LOL! I absolutely love eating this way and have no plans for eating wheat, dairy, processed foods or excessive sugar in the future.

How's everyone else doing?

I am doing OK although I wonder if I am obsessing a bit too much about exactly what I will go "off road" with on Day 31. Good news (I guess) is ... it's not along the lines of "ooh boy, I am going to have a bowl of mac n' cheese and then wolf down a hot fudge sundae". I plan on keeping grains, legumes, even dairy and alcohol and especially sugar (including technically compliant options like whole fruit) out indefinitely, and certainly for at least another thirty or sixty days beyond March 30.

It's more like ... I am looking forward to "indulging" in packaged almond milk despite the additives, for the convenience of it and because gosh darn it, I want an ounce of nut milk with my coffee and not use up part of my weekend getting familiar with nut bags. (Yes, I know how the last part of that sentence sounds!) Or I am going to order grilled veggies at a restaurant and not get into a five minute discussion with the staff about what kind of oil they may use on their grills.

As I go through each day on this last week, I find myself making mental notes of what I am going to allow myself to do starting next week and I'm assuming that thinking this much about post-W30 life is likely not psychologically ideal. But can anyone here relate?

Hang in there guys. I really didn't feel any magic for me kick in until the third week (a real intimate "personal" issue we won't get into but it did completely clear up), and then I made giant leaps in body composition when I did another 30 days. So if you feel like you might need to do another round, skip the re-intro and go for it.

I am feeling so happy that I am nearing the end. The one thing that I am really really excited to get is a glass of red wine!!!! I have been thinking a lot about what I think I will go ahead and indulge in despite it's non health giving benefits, and red wine and a good lager were just some of the things that I really miss. It's funny, because I am not that big of a drinker, I probably drink once a month but I have missed it this month, lol. I am excited that Lent will also be over, so I feel like eating Paleo will be a lot easier because I get to eat more than one meat meal a day (I was so tired of fish) and am ready to break out into a more diverse cooking repitoire. I think I may be coming down with a touch of something, becuase all of my energy is completely zapped. It may also be due to the late nights that I have been having (there is always just something I forgot to do) I am going to dedicate another 30 days to work on my sleep schedule after this is over. I am so happy that I did this diet and amazed at how much better my body feels. Thank you all for encouraging me through this diet!

I am feeling so happy that I am nearing the end. The one thing that I am really really excited to get is a glass of red wine!!!! I have been thinking a lot about what I think I will go ahead and indulge in despite it's non health giving benefits, and red wine and a good lager were just some of the things that I really miss. It's funny, because I am not that big of a drinker, I probably drink once a month but I have missed it this month, lol. I am excited that Lent will also be over, so I feel like eating Paleo will be a lot easier because I get to eat more than one meat meal a day (I was so tired of fish) and am ready to break out into a more diverse cooking repitoire. I think I may be coming down with a touch of something, becuase all of my energy is completely zapped. It may also be due to the late nights that I have been having (there is always just something I forgot to do) I am going to dedicate another 30 days to work on my sleep schedule after this is over. I am so happy that I did this diet and amazed at how much better my body feels. Thank you all for encouraging me through this diet!

Hi all! I feel bad that I haven't been active in the forum this month. I visit regularly and have appreciated everyone's comments and support to each other. I think I will take one day off then start again for another 30. My boyfriend made a comment the other day about how I could eat normal foods again but I don't think I want to go back to my previous habits. I do want a glass of wine and some chocolate though, so a day break :). I feel great at this point in the challenge, and look forward to not letting food control me the way it did. If anyone is sticking around for more I'd love to join in!

I just spent another large sum of money on supplies for me AND hubby, so it's a go for me. XD

I found almond flour and unsweetened coconut at the health food store, plus GOOD coconut milk. I also grabbed some Kombucha, which hubby tested first to see if he liked it... and then I read the label... apparently sugar added. We're not counting that against him, since he's far less strict with his eating than I am and if I go all COMPLIANT on him, it'll have the opposite effect. He tested, he liked, we'll find another source or make our own!

Four days into his and I can see differences in his face and upper body. Plus he seems to be less exhausted, which was a huge huge deal for him.

We had to eat out tonight, so we went to Grizzly's Grill since we discovered I could get compliant food there. He had rotisserie beef brisket without bbq sauce, I had half a chicken (took half home), with compliant veggies no sauce, baked sweet potatoes no butter, and olive oil on the side for everything. Yummy! Best thing was, he finished his food and was full! That never happens!

I don't think I would give this up if I was forced to. I cannot wait to see what the "results" are on Sunday.

Hi all! I feel bad that I haven't been active in the forum this month. I visit regularly and have appreciated everyone's comments and support to each other. I think I will take one day off then start again for another 30. My boyfriend made a comment the other day about how I could eat normal foods again but I don't think I want to go back to my previous habits. I do want a glass of wine and some chocolate though, so a day break :). I feel great at this point in the challenge, and look forward to not letting food control me the way it did. If anyone is sticking around for more I'd love to join in!

I can't think of any more "normal" food than what we've been consuming. It's all the Frankenfood that is abnormal.

Hi All,

Today is day 29 for me but the flu has made that number seem trivial.

I am on day 4 of the flu and horribly miserable. But I haven't had anything non-compliant. I also haven't really eaten at all.

When I'm feeling better I'll be back with a decent post!

Has anyone been eating any nut butters? Where did you find compliant ones without any sugar?

Hey vtgekko. I have! I've had two different kinds, both from Whole Foods -- Justin's and Artisana. I got these mostly because they come in packet versions for indiviual servings or if you just want to give them a try. Justin's almond butter comes in a few varieties (maple, honey, etc), but they have a plain version. The Artisana is a bit more pricey (but they were out of Justin's). The kind I got was raw almond butter and it was very, very good!

Trader Joe's has almond butter without sugar, Whole Foods has their own brand without sugar, plus you can find compliant ones at Target and most grocery stores. I also have a jar of sunbutter in my fridge that's a Whole Foods brand that has no added sugar.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone been eating any nut butters? Where did you find compliant ones without any sugar?

vtgekko, my healthfood store has a machine that grinds almond butter right there. I checked and there are no other ingredients other than just the almonds in the grinding machine.

I made it! That is, if you consider the fact that the last food I ate on day 0 was around 6PM.

It turns out I have pneumonia, ear infection and flu. Of all the many foods I've dreamed of re-introducing on day 31, two anitboitics and prescription cough syrup were not on any list. :angry: But that is exactly how I broke my whole30 at 7PM last night.

I finally broke down and went to the doctor. My temp was 102.5 degF with a resting pulse of 143. No wonder I've been so miserable the past 5 days. They put me on two different antibiotics and told me I will feel like "human road kill." Great. I've spent the past 30 days healing my gut only to have it ripped apart again. But this is temporary. I plan to stay on w30 compliant foods and when the treatment is over, continue on w30 without re-intro until I feel normal.

This morning, day 31, I am down 12 lbs!

I made it! That is, if you consider the fact that the last food I ate on day 0 was around 6PM.

It turns out I have pneumonia, ear infection and flu. Of all the many foods I've dreamed of re-introducing on day 31, two anitboitics and prescription cough syrup were not on any list. :angry: But that is exactly how I broke my whole30 at 7PM last night.

I finally broke down and went to the doctor. My temp was 102.5 degF with a resting pulse of 143. No wonder I've been so miserable the past 5 days. They put me on two different antibiotics and told me I will feel like "human road kill." Great. I've spent the past 30 days healing my gut only to have it ripped apart again. But this is temporary. I plan to stay on w30 compliant foods and when the treatment is over, continue on w30 without re-intro until I feel normal.

This morning, day 31, I am down 12 lbs!

oh bicky yikes! you poor bunny! but EXTRA congrats for making it DESPITE this ordeal! how long did the doctor say before you'll feel better? any chance you've made some bone broth?? that would be what my grandmother would advise .. and REST!!

Archived