March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

Happy happy day to all of you! Today I just feel... so HAPPY and in love with my life. DD and DH are off on a ski trip and I have the house to myself this weekend. I am super excited to clean the house and do laundry all day (yes you read that right! LOL) and then tonight just relax and enjoy the energy of a clean house that will actually stay that way for another day! Woot!

Feeling like this... ebullience coming from seemingly nowhere.... is my favorite part of this eating style. Is this the same as tiger blood? I have lots of energy too.

Heather - loved your inspiring restaurant story! You go girl! I don't miss alcohol at ALL and sometimes feel a teensy embarrassed by what it does to other people LOL! Have an amazing vacation! PS Fried cheese.... really !?!? :D

ChangingWays - back on that horse girl! The beauty of slips are that you know your enemy. Maybe journal through your experience, then move on... we've got your back!

dnewc - the stomach pains have moved on, thank goodness! I think it was just my tummy adjusting, I got more "regular" this week and feel so much better. Come to think of it, I've had a Kombucha almost every day... you may have hit on something! And oh I have not forgotten your offer of a playdate? I wonder if our girls might hit it off too? My schedule is crazy and getting fuller by the minute but I'll keep in touch! I had a ton of cheat dreams during my first Whole 30 but only one this time around - eating a decadent glazed muffin lol

vtgekko - don't let a little Altoid get you down. Just a blip on the screen eh! I wouldn't give it another thought.

simonec - hope you are feeling better! Darn kids :P Stress management is an important part of the program so be sure to try and get some "me" time - easier said than done - your body and mind will thank you for it.

Welcome bicky! I think you'll find the natives are friendly here ;) We are committed to encouragement so please come back!

Laura - what a relief! Someone else is eating that junk not you! LOL

HAPPY HAPPY HALFWAY EVERYONE! Wow the time really flew. Here's some stuff I've been eating:

* Last night made shrimp with garlic, curry powder, coconut milk and Swiss chard from the garden - sooo good. Ate more chard than most people do in a week, he he

* Still not into eggs in the morning, so yesterday had a banana and some macadamias. Need to whip up some meaty muffins ASAP! Other breakfasts: ground beef and kale leftovers.

* Pan fried salmon and steamed brussel sprouts

* Eggs poached in marinara over roasted green beans

Planning on making corned beef and cabbage, along with my favorite mashed cauliflower, to eat tonight and tomorrow all day!!

Big love to you....... KAT

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bicky, I started on the 28th as well, so we can be a day off together! :)

Still going, no problems... even have my husband ready to start in a week or so, as soon as I can buy more compliant food for him and not just for me. Plus he's cleaning out the rest of the, er, noncompliant stuff. Yay?

I had sauerkraut and my bowels got loose (sorry TMI). I'm going to try it again and see if it was just a fluke, but I'd read that fermented vegetables could have a reaction if the good/bad bacteria got out of balance because of it. I hope it's okay, because I really like sauerkraut.

Here's something new: in the last couple of months my hair has been just horrid after washing it, with tangles that literally made me cry. Last night -- NO SNARLS. None. I haven't cut it or used anything out of the ordinary, save for a vinegar rinse between shampoo and conditioner twice this month, but not yesterday. I think this is making my hair healthier too!

I'm completely sold on organic, hormone- and antibiotic-free meats, even though they're hard to find here. My experience with a whole chicken, pork roast, and pork loin cutlets was absolutely phenomenal, and the gel-like consistency of the chicken drippings and bone broth is stunning, especially compared to anything I ever got from a "regular chicken". I'm trying to source better meat local to me, and next time we go to the Next Big Town over, I'll stock up on what good meat and eggs I can get.

While I will probably weigh myself on Day 31, I will probably extend this out to a Whole45 or Whole60 (or more?), partly because of getting my husband on his Whole30 and partly because damn I feel great and love eating like this!

Oh! And my new favorite veggie mix: Sweets and Beets! I chunked up beets and sweet potatoes, marinated them in clarified butter and crushed garlic like in ISWF, then roasted them. OMG so good!

Hey everyone! Day 13 for me (only 2 more days until I'm halfway)! So far things that have surprised me along the way...how fast it has gone, my sugar demon never even showed up (knock on wood), I actually like coconut milk in my coffee, that there was FRUCTOSE in one of my supplements (WTH?!), and how easy it has been. There's definitely been some times when I have wanted something off the plan but I just can't go there! I have to do this for myself and my health! I feel like my general aches in my body have gotten better but still have a chronic head ache and chest pain, but am hopeful! And I love how I feel being off processed food, chemicals, and sugar. And I love the forum, it's helpful reading people's entries. Oh, and I've had several dream cheats...one that included a waffle, ha!

Day 0. I lost my resolve on my first day of vacation and gave in to a glass of wine. I'm not going to let this completely derail me. I'm planning doing some off-roading while on vacation and using the tools to help me decide whether it's worth it or not to go off plan. Beginning the 25th I'll re-commit 100% and complete a Whole 90 leading up to the Whistler Tough Mudder in June.

day 17. I had an interesting challenge- unexpectedly had to fly to the States, which meant The Airplane Food Challenge (already complicated by only being able to request gluten-free OR dairy-free but not both) so instead I brought: tiny baked sweet potatoes, carrot sticks and hazelnut butter, celery sticks and tiny jar of basil/olive oil/lemon juice (it's italian, not sure what it's called), chinese cabbage cut into half leaves to make "sandwiches" with proscuitto, and a baked apple. and, despite plane delays and having to fly to zurich first and then to new york, that seemed to be fine! at other times I would have brought almonds and raisins..and more almonds and raisins..and kit's organic fruit/nut bars..apples..chocolate..you get the picture!

And while here I've been able to get a few provisions for upcoming 5-day 60th birthday hike next month..including packets of macademia nut butter and coconut butter. sweet! This will be in England, staying at b&b's - not sure how breakfasts will go since allergic to eggs- but I hope some bacon with mushrooms and tomatoes might give enough oomph for the mornings. We'll be walking around 15 miles/day, lots of hills (border england/scotland)..I welcome any ideas for picnics!!

oh..I've discovered hot coconut milk (half coconut milk, half water) with sliced fresh ginger is fabulously yummy. though I'd love to, I don't see how to bring coconut milk along with me.. so maybe just a spoonful of coconut oil a day?

another challenge I've been working with is finding that three meals a day is just too much- for whatever reason digestion can't handle it- so (reference Jaminet/PHD and Clean) have been making smoothie for b'fast- hopefully ISWF compliant: 1/2 c coconut milk, 1/2 c berries, vanilla bean, tsp chia seed, tsp maqui, tsp cacao, tsp maca...

I fly back tomorrow..hopefully will have time to stop at whole foods before then..so any ideas you might have here also welcome!

be well, each of you! as always, thank you for sharing your own journeys.. they are inspiring!

Feeling like this... ebullience coming from seemingly nowhere.... is my favorite part of this eating style. Is this the same as tiger blood? I have lots of energy too.

Kay-- I love that! I am so happy and I don't know where it is coming from. On top of that, my house seems to be de-cluttering itself. I know my hands are involved but it just seems to be happening without effort. This is after a very long time of feeling overwhelmed with the chaos all around me but unable to take control.

Kay-- YIPEE! February 28th seems like a perfect day to start something :D

Hillwalker-- I haven't tried giner in my hot coconut milk, that sounds yummy. I've been doing the hot coconut milk with cinnamon. I love it!

Thinking back to that day, I remember my first Whole30 shopping experience on Feb 27th. I actually cried. First I put a chocolate bar in my cart for that night since I would be "starting tomorrow." Then I took it out before I checked out. The act of putting the chocloate bar back was so intense it made me cry. Not because I was sad that I wasn't going to get it, but because I realized how much power it held over me; a stupid little slab of brown stuff! I also cried because I looked at all that expensive produce in my cart and thought it would be like every other attempt to eat healthy. I expected I'd be throwing it all out a week later when it had rotted in the fridge.

But not this time! WOOT! Day 18 and I'm happy and healthy and feeling great!

Keep on keeping on! :)

I looked at all that expensive produce in my cart and thought it would be like every other attempt to eat healthy. I expected I'd be throwing it all out a week later when it had rotted in the fridge.

But not this time! WOOT! Day 18 and I'm happy and healthy and feeling great!

Keep on keeping on! :)

Bicky, me too! I was terrified at the cost of gearing up for this, especially since Hubby isn't doing it (yet, in a week or so) with me. Organic meat is so expensive! Veggies just go to waste! But, as you say, not this time. :)

I'm actually eating less, not because I have to but because I don't need as much food. Next step will be adjusting my portions just a bit, when I can, if only to not feel obligated to clean my plate and be overfull. Yesterday's work lunch was shrimp with stirfry veggies, a sweet potato, lemongrass tea, and I took along a roma tomato and a half an avocado for a "salad". Plus water. I should have waited to eat the tomato, but I saved the avocado for the end (yum!) -- and then felt too full going back to work!. Half a sweet potato would have sufficed, too. But I bring too much just in case, because I have limited access to food for twelve or more hours.

I did skip my hardboiled egg at midnight break, but my orange was soooo sweet!

I've even gone so far as to track my grocery expenses for my Whole30 separately from the "other" groceries. I'm now convinced that it won't cost any more for the two of us to eat like this, and quite possibly less. A bunch of beets for two bucks, or a bag of chips for three? Which one lasts longer and isn't empty crap? :lol:

I think we're averaging about $70 a week on groceries. I haven't fully committed to the grass-fed, pasteured meat (mainly because of logistics and working weekends) but am buying the leanest cuts I can and trimming what fat I can. Like they say in the book, that is infinitely better than eating processed anything. I do not throw out produce anymore (except for the wayward orange that might spoil). Grocery trips are less frequent. Once, maybe twice a week, at most, rather than running out for chips and crap. I prefer to think that if I am spending more it is on my health, not food. I am blowing through coconut oil like there is no tomorrow...

I haven't weighed yet this month as it's my second round. Today is Day 52/60. The fiance came out this morning and announced he is under the 200 lb mark...and he's not being W30 compliant. I think he's down around 25 lbs. since the end of Jan. So KayJay, even if your husband doesn't jump completely on the band wagon he should see improvement.

Like I've said before, I am staying paleo...forever. I have no problem at all with this lifestyle. None. Especially after reading up on the science. Besides ISWF a couple of other good books to read are Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes. Excellent read. Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, which will make you stop drinking orange juice forever. Some of her ideas are not W30 compliant but lots of good information. Right now I am reading The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. The only non compliant W30 thing he advocates is full fat dairy on a very limited basis. But a good read as well.

I was saving my receipts at first but decided not to track the expense. I think in the long run I am spending less because I'm not doing take out and fast food drive throughs, etc. My son is still on the SAD way of life. I hope to transition him, but he is almost 13 and I don't want to force the issue. I hope the changes in me will help motivate him to want to change his eating, too.

Today is Day 19 for me. I woke up in a bad mood, but it lifted. :)

I don't feel so bitter about giving up grains today, lol :) So I must be getting better. My clothes are really starting to get loose on me and I have not had any of the strange symptoms that had been plaguing me before I started my Whole30 (I was having panick attack symptoms that would last days instead of minutes) I also have way more energy and I feel like my concentration is better. Before yesterday, I was not sure I would contiune to eat this way after the Whole30 but I think that I may have won another battle against the sugar dragon. I was at the coffee shop yesterday and the cakes and pastries behind the counter didn't even appeal to me! I am excited to get to this point, lol. I was worried I wouldn't get here. Great job everyone! Keep up the hard work!!

One thing I have noticed recently - and it kind of goes along with my bed feeling oh so comfy all night long instead of waking up multiples times aching all over - is that my joints don't crack anymore. My ankles don't crack when I walk down the stairs in the morning and my elbows don't get all stiff then crack when I straighten them. It really makes me feel giddy and younger!

Happy 60th Hillwalker! - that sounds like an amazing trip! Your b'fast smoothie sounds good. My appetite has just declined a bit... not sure if I am finally hearing the "I am full" signal or just not as creative in the kitchen lately, but this weekend just had 2 meals a day because I really lost track of time. I hadn't considered the challenges of flying. I have heard some people make coconut milk from the flakes somehow. Maybe you can bring a container with the flakes and they can give you some hot water on the plane to soak them with? I've never tried - anyone done this?

Heather - I am with you. I keep thinking I want to keep this up through my training and make this a whole 90.... but then I think maybe I want a tiny break in between rounds... for a glass of wine. It might have to be 3 back-to-back whole 30s.

Kat - yes keep in touch - a playdate is in order. * Clink of Kombucha bottles *

Bicky - I miss chocolate too - they always put it right by the cash register! That will go with my glass of wine in between I think....

I am certain I am eating more calories now than I was before W30 with all the fat I am adding to my diet. Definitely feel more satisfied, and yet I'm pretty sure I am losing weight. It really does turn the notion of eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight on its head. I believe low fat diets with artificial sweeteners and insulin spikes really do harm your metabolism. Unfortunately I suspect it will take me more than 30 days to undo years of damage. Getting to a point where I burn fat efficiently enough to run well is proving very difficult and frustrating... but at the same time satisfying. I think they should warn you that in addition to throwing out your scale you should throw out your watch. I have had to slow waaaaaay down, but now I finally feel like I can run longer while feeling great.

Ugh, not sure how to break this to you all.... I have failed! :( Been eating noncompliant the last couple days. Woke up feeling UGGH this morning from the sugar and gluten in the cookies I caved for. And they weren't even that good!!

Feeling really depressed and disappointed in myself. I was already on Day 17.... anyway, struggling to get back to it. Seems like I've lost my iron will. And this morning I took the "all or nothing" approach and got on the scale! Was ecstatic with the number but it wasn't impetus enough to keep away from a treat bag of crap candy that appeared in my mailbox from a coworker.

UUUUGGGHHHHHHHHH :( :( :( :( :(

Ugh, not sure how to break this to you all.... I have failed! :( Been eating noncompliant the last couple days. Woke up feeling UGGH this morning from the sugar and gluten in the cookies I caved for. And they weren't even that good!!

Feeling really depressed and disappointed in myself. I was already on Day 17.... anyway, struggling to get back to it. Seems like I've lost my iron will. And this morning I took the "all or nothing" approach and got on the scale! Was ecstatic with the number but it wasn't impetus enough to keep away from a treat bag of crap candy that appeared in my mailbox from a coworker.

I feel your pain. I feel off the horse and had to pick myself back up. You can to. Come on let's do it together. What's your plan??

For me I've cut up all my veggies for breakfast for the week again and I've been making my lunch for work the night before so I won't be tempted to go to the Shops in the morning and grab something quick and easy for lunch at work. I've also been having a cuppa tea before work too so I won't be tempted to stop and get that latte.

You can do it. :)

Been eating noncompliant the last couple days. Woke up feeling UGGH this morning from the sugar and gluten in the cookies I caved for. And they weren't even that good!!

Don't worry about us, look at what you wrote -- the cookies weren't that good, the candy was crap. And now the feeling is UGGGGGGHHHHH.

It says in ISWF that when we are post-Whole30 we'll be able to make CHOICES -- we know what that cookie will do to us, but if it's what we want to eat, we choose to do so. And we're more likely to think about the quality of the choices we make, so if the cookies are crap, we may pass. If the cookie is special and fabulous and we really want it -- hell yes. And afterwards we continue eating good whole food because that's what contributes to our body and mind.

It's only 30 days. Get back up on that horse, cowgirl!

I say bravo for coming clean and telling everyone! You could have easily just kept on going and we would never have known but this isn't about that. It's about changing how we look at food, how we relate to food, and learning how to be truly nourished by our food. You made it to Day 17 and I bet that you can make it the 30 days next time! I agree with what the others had to say, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go at it again! Big hugs to you!

Thanks everyone, and I am feeling much better. Really rolling around in the feelings.... the mornings are especially obvious. Sugar and gluten = foggy head, achy body, low energy. Today I have stayed clean and already tonight can tell the difference! Home from a late riding lesson, heating up leftover homemade sausage patty and broccoli with my own yummmmmmy mayonnaise.

Thanks for the support, it really helps! :wub: Onward and upward!!

Hello group! I am on day18 and I noticed that I not only are my cravings gone but I'm hardly ever hungry. And when I get hungry I only really need to eat about a fraction of what I used to to feel satisfied. Is this happening to anyone else?

I say bravo for coming clean and telling everyone! You could have easily just kept on going and we would never have known but this isn't about that. It's about changing how we look at food, how we relate to food, and learning how to be truly nourished by our food. You made it to Day 17 and I bet that you can make it the 30 days next time! I agree with what the others had to say, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go at it again! Big hugs to you!

I totally agree!

Kindergartencowgirl, I know you can get back on the horse. Not only did you come clean but your description of the experience is very helpful for all of us. We need to remember it just isn't worth it. By sharing the burden we can all get stronger.

hi...i've been MIA for a few days...keeping busy and thinking a lot and staying compliant...i've been planning on going primal or paleo for quite a while, taking baby steps, so it's not all that surprising that i plan on keeping grains and dairy out (with the exception of ghee and possibly if i can find raw grass fed milk locally i may have that from time to time), but i do have my occasional battles with the sugar dragon so far i've been winning them and i figure if after the 30 days i find myself awakening the sugar dragon a bit much or allowing too many other things in i can always do another w30...i'm learning a lot from this experience. anyway, happy first day of spring/vernal equinox!

I started W30 on March 1. I'm not experiencing the boundless energy I keep reading about. In fact, the opposite has happened. It is Day 20 and I have to work hard not to fall asleep at my desk starting around 2 PM. I overate nuts and fruit for a while. Maybe that's why I'm so tired. Starting today, I've eliminated nuts and cut back on fruit. I'm not used to losing my energy. I read somewhere that it can take much longer than 30 days for some people. I hope that's all it is.

I may have messed up, I'm not sure. I made a curry with canned coconut milk, which I could only find in the Next Big Town over. (I didn't think to check the health food stores, that'll be my next stop when we go again next week.) The brand I could get (Geisha) has things other than coconut milk listed, but all as stabilizers, and nothing that rang my bell as being sugary or carby or whatnot. I've never used coconut milk before, so what do I know?

"Coconut Milk, Guar Gum (E412), Stabilizing Agent (E466), Emulsifying Agent (E435), Sodium Metabisulfite (E233) to Prevent The Discoloration. Contains Tree Nut (Coconut)."

I had overlooked the Sodium Metabisulfite as, well, a sulfite. Der.

But now I see when I search the forum that there are coconut milks out there with nothing but that and water.

I'm craving more of the curry, instead of being satiated, which makes red flags wave over my head big time.

HOWEVER, it's not the end of the world, it's a mistake. Husband is starting the Whole30 on Friday, and I was planning on continuing on with him after mine was over in ten days, so... onward! I'm really reveling in the variety of foods I'm eating, so this whole thing is luxurious to me.

Hi All, still on Vacation and still breaking from W30. I'm starting to feel pretty icky with all of the crap I've let sneak back into my diet and all of the "treat because I'm on vacation" foods. Starting today I'm going to clean it up. I've been beating myself up quite a bit for going off plan. I know I'll feel great if I stay on plan for one week of my vacation starting today. It can be done! :)

I started W30 on March 1. I'm not experiencing the boundless energy I keep reading about. In fact, the opposite has happened. It is Day 20 and I have to work hard not to fall asleep at my desk starting around 2 PM. I overate nuts and fruit for a while. Maybe that's why I'm so tired. Starting today, I've eliminated nuts and cut back on fruit. I'm not used to losing my energy. I read somewhere that it can take much longer than 30 days for some people. I hope that's all it is.

MR, what was your energy like before you started? I wouldn't classify my energy (Day 22) as boundless; however, pre-W30 I had eaten myself into a ditch and could hardly function. In comparison of where I was and where I am now, my energy level is amazing. But, there are many afternoons I wouldn't mind taking a nap if my schedule permitted it. The big difference for me is that now my tired moments are more what I would call "normal" whereas before they were outright oppressive.

I hope you start feeling better :)

Oops, forgot my update.

Today is Day 22 for me. Food planning and preparation are becoming much more routine. I came into this having given up on cooking completely, so it started to be quite overwhelming.

I feel good and I'm happy!

:D

Archived