March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

@simonec- how long do you steam kale? and the only cashews I can find are roasted in seed oils...

@dnewc-nothing "paleofied". What that essentially means is you can't eat an off plan food by using W30 compliant ingredients. There is one recipe for a "sweet" in Well Fed that says you cannot have during your W30.

@Kat13-Tazo teas are great. Vanilla Rooibos is compliant.

I woke up today in Day45. Just a couple of days ago my brain was trying to justify a W45 or W50 because of Easter coming up. We really don't do the whole holiday meal thing but that wasn't the reason. The reason is the local chocolatier has a half price sale on Easter sunday...that's why. I have no intention of waking up my Sugar Dragon after all this time. The fiance wants to go get dark chocolate almond bark. Fine. Keep it in your car. But...having it in the house and being able to resist eating it makes more sense.

The second round is more mental. You're pretty much on auto-pilot as far as shopping and cooking and eating goes. But all the little mental challenges are still there. The sugar craving is pretty much gone. I can walk by that stuff at the store and actually make an ugly face. Usually I'm thinking to myself..."the old Lisa would buy some of that crap and bring it home". I do want to live a normal life once I come out on the other side of 60 days. I definitely am staying paleo lifestyle. I will "paleo-fie" some things just not on a regular basis. A once in a while treat. Wine? Oh how I miss thee. But at 45 days without it wasn't as hard as I thought. It'll be another of those once in a while treats. Maybe Saturday night after a long day at work...

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it through another weekend! Went to 3 birthday events on Saturday, and managed to stay Whole30 compliant. It's taking me a little longer to recover from my C25K training days and Crossfit WODs, so I had an active recovery weekend. Lots of cleaning Saturday morning, then birthday festivities for the rest of the day. Sunday I went to the hunt club w/ my husband, spent a few hours at the shooting range, and explored the woods with the dog. :o) After our nap I was able to grocery shop and prep/cook meals for Mon-Wed, w/ a small cook up planned for Wednesday, my next rest day. My husband LOVES the fact that I have taken over most of the meal planning and cooking! Looking forward to spending some time outside after work with the lovely sunny weather. Have a great day everyone!

@simonec- how long do you steam kale? and the only cashews I can find are roasted in seed oils...

i steam the kale for about 5 minutes or so...i don't really time it. bummer about the cashews...i know you can get raw ones online, i used to be able to get them at most of the grocery stores in my area, but now have to go to the health food store for them.

Tomorrow will be day 9 for me! I can't believe I made it through the first week already. The "magic" for me is that I haven't craved any sugar really. My pain is still there, but at the same time...it's only day 9. My chest is hurting bad and I'm wondering if it's because of all the meat I've been eating? I started working out today and felt pretty good. So, just keep trucking on I guess. Hope everyone is doing well!

Hello everyone, and congratulations on a great Week One! (Hang in there Renee! Flour happens :P )

I had a long and very busy weekend with a 2 day horse show that had me up at 5 30 both days (hello Daylight Savings :wacko: ) I stayed compliant by preparing carefully and packing lots of good leftovers in addition to bottled water, fizzy and regular. Kombucha is my big "treat" and though I planned on not eating nuts this time around they have snuck back in. Finished off the sunbutter yesterday but will not buy more. Did buy some macadamias though; had those, with blueberries, for breakfast. Still sick of eggs in the morning, though I did have some (with bacon and brussel sprouts) last night for dinner. Saturday I had a delicious grilled burger from the snack shack... just requested no bun, and they topped it off for me with a big pile of onions, lettuce and tomato. Delish! Other eats: turkey curry (ground turkey, coconut milk, curry powder, spinach), steak with mashed cauliflower, the very BEST zucchini noodles from Well Fed (make them!!), and tonight grilled chicken with roasted broccoli and sweet potato fries (noone's home so I may be lucky to have two lunches worth of leftovers - if I hide them from my teenager lol)

I am having a little tummy ache after eating, almost every time. I've gotten more "regular" but it's not very fun to have stomach pain after every meal... maybe I need to chew better? Trying trying trying to drink less coffee, more water. Won't give up!

Love this thread. Thanks everyone for playing! (((hugs)))) Kat

Hi all,

I had a good day today although it started out pretty rough. I'm finishing my day off drinking a lot of water as I'm feeling very thirsty today.

I've made lunch ahead for tomorrow and my breakfast is already done so I'm looking really good for a easy day food wise tomorrow.

I'm going to go swimming in the morning to get my exercise in. I'm hoping that it will put me back on the right path of exercising every other day at the very least.

Hope you all are going well.

Day 12! I made it...Phew! It was a VERY stressful day at work yesterday and I have so much to do before heading on vacation in 2 more days. Typically yesterday definitely would have been a "come home, crash on the couch with a glass (bottle) of wine, and some chocolate or takeout" day. I didn't even feel the urge. That, my friends, is progress :) There were ups and downs throughout the day, however, that got me thinking about taking a break while I'm on vacation. My coworkers and family have been encouraging me to do that but I won't. I'm more interested in seeing this through to the end. The way I feel this morning will help ground me. If I had wine last night I would have slept terribly and I'd have an upset stomach this morning from the food. Instead I woke up refreshed and ready to go.

Challenge of the day - Board dinner (work) at 5 star restaurant that I've been dying to try out and I've never had an opportunity to yet. I've already contacted them in advance to find out if they can accommodate my food restrictions because if they weren't going to I seriously would have gone there with a packed meal. It's not worth it to me at this point to go off plan for a work dinner, if I'm going to do that I'd at least be eating with my family. I am bringing a yellow sticky to hand the waitress when I place my order with the following written on it: sugar, gluten, rice, corn, white potatoes, dairy, alcohol, soy, butter and seed oils. I'm hoping that this will get pinned to my order which will be comprised of dry grilled meat over greens with veggies.

Have a great day everyone!

Heather, you're probably going to need to compromise on the seed oils, though at a 5 star restaurant, they may have lard or duck fat floating around in the back. Make sure to mention that olive oil is okay. Have a great time!

Glad to see everybody doing well!

I'm sleeping like crap since the clocks went back and i had to restart.

Hey gang! It has been pretty busy around here. My new found energy is allowing me to get some things done that I have been needing to do for a while. I have been doing so well, although I am still missing grains and crave them like a mad woman. I am also approaching that time of the month (sorry boys, for the girly talk) and find that I am munchy hungry. What suggestions do you make about how to handle the PMS munchies? I ate 15 blackberries after dinner last night for no reason and I just never feel full!! You would think, being a student midwife I would know why I am so hungry all the time, I am sure it has something to do with estrogen and progesterone, lol.

I made two coffee cakes from scratch, for our after Mass dinner, and didn't even take a nibble! I have been thinking a lot about how I am going to eat after the W30 ends. I will be interested to see how the reintroduction phase goes. Thanks for all the support everyone! Just reading everyone elses' journeys are helpful.

I thought you couldn't eat raw cashews?

i soak my raw cashews...I have been eating them for 7 or 8 years now. I only remember hearing once before that you can't eat raw cashews and can't remember everything involved with the discussion, but since most raw cashews are technically not totally raw- this made for big controversy when i was eating raw vegan (they are usually heated to help get the shell off) i never worry about it.

Welcome Day 13! I have a big win to report. Yesterday, following a long and stressful day, I had a business dinner at a local 5 star restaurant. The evening started with everyone with exception of myself having beer and wine, I had water and lime and I was happy with it. I was not even slightly tempted, not even a little. This is HUGE! When we sat down for dinner everyone ordered more wine, there were several bottles floating around. In fact at one point one of the board members presented me with my very own open bottle. I politely accepted and sat it on the table in front of me for others at the table and I didn't touch it.

I ordered dry grilled NY Strip with vegetables roasted in olive oil and I prepared a sticky note with a list of things that I did not want to have in my meal due to "issues". The restaurant was happy to prepare what I requested and reported that this is becoming more and more common. My meal was delicious. Everyone else ordered desert, my favorite desert was listed but I ordered a peppermint tea and it was really good. The bottom line in all of this is that I felt really good about my meal, I didn't feel like I was restricting myself at all. It was my choice and I made the right choices for the right reasons. The entire experience was actually very empowering.

I have another stressful 2 days of work and then I'm off on Vacation for 10 days. Having this restaurant experience before I left is key to my vacation success on program. I know that it can be done and I can feel happy doing it.

Great job Heather! :)

All I can say about today is "So that happened" I stumbled. I'm going to brush myself off and get back on the horse. In saying that I went for a walk this morning (1.06 miles) and again this arvo (1.66 miles). Tonight I'm dealing with a bloated stomach, unpredictable flatulence and regret, but tomorrow is a great opportunity to start over.

Heather - awesome! That is great and inspiring. I feel like I am still struggling with my temptations, but it is getting a little easier. When my girls leave their open bag of jelly beans out on the counter I still find it much easier to snap them up tight in a tupperware.

Missmamey - I seem to be okay leaving the grains behind, but it's the sweets I am craving, and I was not a big sweets eater before W30, so that's kind of funny. After dinner I really want a few raisins or a date or dried mango..... 15 blackberries sounds perfectly fine to me - but I'm no expert.

Kat - I feel your pain. I had a horrible belly ache day 11 after a cup of black decaff in the afternoon... I was on a walk when it hit and thought I wouldn't make it home. I was feeling bloated yesterday and tried some Kombucha and today I feel quite a bit better. Go figure.

Changingways - I've noticed I'm much more thirsty too. I wake up thirsty and I think I'm drinking a bit more during the day, although I still forget sometimes to have my water with meals. Ugh!

Day 13? Wow, we are almost halfway there!

AACCCKKKK!!!! I'm on Day 10 and I ate an Altoid!!I Do I have to start over???

It was such an auto-response, my boss offered me one during a meeting (maybe I had bad breath!) and I took it and ate it without even realizing!! UGH!!

AACCCKKKK!!!! I'm on Day 10 and I ate an Altoid!!I Do I have to start over???

It was such an auto-response, my boss offered me one during a meeting (maybe I had bad breath!) and I took it and ate it without even realizing!! UGH!!

Vtgekko, personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had a chewable vitamin C during a previous attempt and got the same response from a Moderator. So long as after you ate it you didn't feel like eating the whole tin of them or anything like that then I'd just move on.

I can't believe Day 14 is already here. It has been very busy at work with 12-18 hour days and it may sound funny but I'm finding that this plan is actually helping me manage a crazy schedule. I'm prepared for my meals, I don't have to worry about snacking, limited decisions to make about eating, and no alcohol to blow of steam in the pm and give me a headache/stomachache in the am. It's great.

Tonight we leave for Vacation. I will have to work through my vacation because I'm delivering a big project at the end of the month but at least I'll be balancing it with fun in Florida. I'm still planning to stick to my Whole 100 while I'm in FL. I know that the alcohol demons will resurface when I'm on Vacation but I'll be ready for them, armed with plenty of compliant poolside drinks. I'm very proud of myself for coming this far. Last night my husband had chocolate and wine and it didn't even cause a stir for me. I noticed it and dismissed it as if he was drinking scotch and eating deep fried cheese (yuck).

While on Vacation I am going to need this string as reinforcement for my plan and I'll be checking in daily if at all possible.

Hope everyone has a great Day 14! Tomorrow is the halfway point for many of you and I believe we should be feeling that tiger blood any minute now ;) Keep at it!

Vtgekko, personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had a chewable vitamin C during a previous attempt and got the same response from a Moderator. So long as after you ate it you didn't feel like eating the whole tin of them or anything like that then I'd just move on.

Tahnks! Yes, this is what I decided as well. It wasn't intentional, it wasn't a trigger and nothing happened. I"m good :)

having a rough day...not having a hard time staying compliant, but having an emotional/frustrating day...i got almost 8 hours of sleep, but not quite and the kids have been fighting and eating non stop, so feeling tired and drained...thankfully, the kids are at school, so i get a little peace and quiet, but i have to get them from the bus soon and i'm hoping they are in a better mood. tomorrow is the start of week 3 and the halfway point...day 15.

tonight i plan to get to bed early again and hopefully sleep better.

Has anybody had any cheat dreams? Last night I had a dream that I drank a glass of white wine without even thinking with a new friend who then ditched me in the restaurant. Haha - symbolism. I suddenly realized what I had done and felt so frustrated with myself in my dream I woke up! Otherwise I can't believe how great I've been sleeping. My bed has never felt so comfortable.

Has anybody had any cheat dreams? Last night I had a dream that I drank a glass of white wine without even thinking with a new friend who then ditched me in the restaurant. Haha - symbolism. I suddenly realized what I had done and felt so frustrated with myself in my dream I woke up! Otherwise I can't believe how great I've been sleeping. My bed has never felt so comfortable.

I did too! I actually woke up and had to lie there for a while and think "did I actually eat that?" And the guilt....!

I started on February 28th so I'm a day off. I wish I had seen this thread then! I am enjoying reading posts that sound exactly like something I would have posted.

I have hit the CAUTION point where I am used to this new habit and almost had a couple of auto-response slips. One was almost licking the spoon after stirring my son's cream soup. It's nice to not feel like I am on 24/7 food vigilence but it's also scary. I suppose that is part of the healing.

I haven't had any crazy food dreams but I did dream that I was shopping the day before Thanksgiving with my mother and sister. In the dream I was not paying attention because I knew I couldn't eat any of the food they were planning. Then, when it was too late, i realized I could have been buying Whole30 foods for myself but instead I wasn't going to have anything I could eat on Thanksgiving.

Happy halfway mark everyone! I dreamt last night I went on a sugar binge(pink starburst and rolos) and was so mad at myself when I woke up. Of course, this was triggered by being near candy all day yesterday at work. I love the fct that when I get home from work, I still have plenty of energy for working out or whatever else I need to do in the evenings. I love it! Hope everyone else is doing well - only 15 more days!

Archived