March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

MR, what was your energy like before you started? I wouldn't classify my energy (Day 22) as boundless; however, pre-W30 I had eaten myself into a ditch and could hardly function. In comparison of where I was and where I am now, my energy level is amazing. But, there are many afternoons I wouldn't mind taking a nap if my schedule permitted it. The big difference for me is that now my tired moments are more what I would call "normal" whereas before they were outright oppressive.

I hope you start feeling better :)

Thank you! Pre-W30 I had high energy. I rarely felt fatigued, never needed coffee. I ate a fair amount of sugar throughout the day, but it always seemed like I could take it or leave it, I just never denied myself anything. It's possible I'm not getting enough food on W30, though I feel like I'm eating plenty. I don't cook very much. I ate a lot on the run before this. Mostly sandwiches and pizza. Now I graze clean. I mostly eat almonds, avocados, sweet potato fries, and hard boiled eggs. Maybe today I'll eat a vegetable.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are buying the pastured/organic meats, where are you getting them? The only place I can find near me is whole foods and it's super expensive. I've just been buying the "better" chicken at the store, it's not organic but its "local and humanely certified" but I can't find any beef or pork that is not the commerically raised stuff.

Also, anyone been brave enough to step on a scale? I did, on Day 15. My clothes are fitting pretty loose but I didn't see much progress on the scale. I know this isn't a weight loss plan but I was really hoping to lose a few pounds ;)

I mostly eat almonds, avocados, sweet potato fries, and hard boiled eggs. Maybe today I'll eat a vegetable.

Sounds to me like you are not getting enough protein or fat. Vegetables for carbs and meat for protein are the mainstay of this program... you might want to check out It Starts With Food if you have not read it yet.

Day three, yay for me, energy is up again and I'm back in the groove. Came home yesterday and made egg muffins for future breakfasts, I like to eat them with a handful of blueberries. Tonight is ground turkey with greens and salsa. Thawing out steaks for my favorite Friday ritual dinner: grilled steak, steamed brussel sprouts and mashed cauliflower, served up with a side of Desperate Housewife reruns.

Day three, yay for me, energy is up again and I'm back in the groove.

Good job!

vtgekko-- my local super market (Market Basket) has a small selection of grass-fed meet (beef and bison). It's not as expensive as WF. Trader Joe's also sells frozen grass-fed ground beef. It sounds like you are doing what you should by buying the best that is available to you and within your budget.

It's Friday and all is well in my corner of the world. :D

I hope all is well with you all. :)

I live in traditional farming country, and finding grass-fed, hormone- and antibiotic-free beef gets you an odd look and a statement about local and corn. BUT there are some CSA's and organic farms that raise it -- one of my goals this spring is to connect up with them and figure out how to buy it. (The closest ones are over fifty miles away.)

I've hopefully found a source for free-range local eggs, trying to get in contact with them now. The cage-free commercial version I picked up on my last trip to Next Big Town were wonderful! But expensive compared to what they're asking for the local stuff. In my only nearby grocery, they have antibiotic-free eggs but they are caged and the farm has 1.4 million chickens -- not stress free by a long shot. And they're only marginally better than regular eggs.

Also from Next Big Town, I found organic pork and chicken. I could go on for-EVER about the quality of the meat and the drippings. Simply an astounding difference (whether I used the drippings or not, no comparison).

Just Bare brand chicken is marketed by the same company that provides my local store with regular chicken (which uses antibiotics), but their website states Just Bare is cage-free (but not free range), no antibiotics or hormones, and no animal-byproducts in their feed. They do use vegetable AND corn feed, but for now this is the closest I can get.

And the best thing? The meat may be more expensive, but I'm eating less so I'm enjoying it longer. In the end, the quality and the quantity balances out the cost. And the chicken bone broth was to-die for.

I can't wait for spring (it's zero here ROFLMAO) and the chance to desperately need a big freezer!

vtgekko, I've been a tad tempted by the scale, but the rule is "throw it away," lol. All I know is I feel ten years younger, my body feels and looks different, and if I gained weight on this way of eating I'd still do it. My health has been up and down the last ten years, and I have hope now that I didn't have three weeks ago.

(I am looking forward to next Saturday, though, if for nothing more than to satisfy my curiosity. :D )

hi all, I so appreciate your posts!

I'm interested – and delighted! – to hear how some of you are feeling so significantly better – while alas this is not my own experience – or perhaps just not yet – it gives me hope!

I've been reading a lot about the autoimmune protocol (not only here – also Paleo Mom's site) – and I'm about to take the (yet another) leap. For a year I've been coping with (what was finally diagnosed in January as) ocular rosacea .. typically treated with antibiotics and/or steroids (and indeed, after one course 3 blissful weeks of painfree vision .. after which it returned) but since I'm allergic to the antibiotic standardly given and steroid use can lead to blindness – and since these would just be treating symptoms anyway, I'm exploring whether the AIP might heal the gut which might allow the rest to heal. I suppose, since I've got celiac, I should have seen the writing on the wall! Okay, so the AIP means no nightshades, no nuts. No eggs either, but I'm allergic to those anyway, so they're already out of the picture. Nightshades aren't such a big deal really, but nuts .. sigh .. I've been using macademia oil for cooking .. and when I was in the US I ordered 2lbs of the absolutely most DELICIOUS raw macademia nuts from “Raw From The Farm†(WAY better than any I've ever had before!) to bring back to France. It's just that it feels like all I do is eliminate yet another wonderful food .. and still struggle with symptoms. OH for the days when I could eat anything and thrive! okay, enough complaining .. I've got a PLAN!

would one of you tell me about starting crossfit – it appears to have arrived in Paris, but I'm wondering how one actually begins .. do you start by taking a class??

Good morning!

hillwalker-- I hope you are able to narrow down the culprit and continue to improve your health. I know nothing about crossfit except what I read on blogs and here.

Today is day 24 for me. I am starting to obsess over how I am going to handle day31+. It's not that I'm dying to add things back in, it's that I just don't know how I'm going to handle the freedom. Sounds weird, I know.

Have a great day :D

HIllwalker - I think its wonderful that you're continuing to investigate and try to determine how to best eat for your health! As for Crossfit, I would call a local Crossfit affiliate and ask what their intro program looks like. I know at my box, we offer a free intro class Fridays and Saturdays, and then there is a 3 day "on ramp" program that introduces you to the basic moves.I started Crossfitting about a year ago and I absolutely love it!

It's Day 23 for me. Yesterday I had a ridiculous craving for Cool Ranch Doritos, which is strange, because I haven't eaten those in years. I actually stopped at the gas station and wasgoing to get some, but managed to stay strong and get a small bag of pork rinds instead. (I know those aren't great for you, but it was better than the Doritos!)

My husband was doing the Whole30 with me, but has decided he's over it. It's much harder now that he's eating off plan. This morning he fixed some pancakes from NomNomPaleo's iPad app. I didn't give in to temptation, but they looked and smelled so good! I'm ready to get to Day 31!

I suffer from adrenal fatigue (not diagnosed), and Friday night after my last break at work I felt the energy just drain away from me. I'd been asked to work an extra day, which cut into my recovery time (read: days off), and after two shifts of go go go, it hit. This morning was very hard to get up and about.

BUT. Even this feels different than pre-Whole30. I was tired, but not exhausted. My mind was clearer, still a little foggy but I was able to function. I switched some duties around at work so that I didn't push myself physically or mentally, and as of now I feel a lot better. So it was a bump in the road, but a small one. Kept my food compliant and asked hubby for help when I needed to. Especially since he's starting his Whole30 today!

I'll see how my energy recovers over the next couple of work days. Here's hoping!

Hi KayJay! I hope you are able to get your rest in today. I don't have AF but I have been having dips of tiredness in the afternoons for the past couple of days. Like you said, it's nothing like pre-W30 but it's also new since getting past carb flu.

I took my son and his friends to the mall yesterday. Yuck! I never liked the mall and now I like it even less. The fake food smells and over powering candle and perfume smells were too much. I also made chocolate chili yesterday and I love it.

Where is everybody?

Last week was a tough one for me... but I stayed compliant food-wise, but skipping meals and snacking and use of dried fruit. It was my daughter's birthday which also happens to be my mom's, so my parents came for a visit, and they do like to party. I got strange looks from the waiter when I ordered meat sauce over steamed vegetables, but it was delicious and so was my sparkling water with lime. I was sad not to have Evie's birthday cake, but there is a piece for me in the freezer for when I am done with w30 - she made it herself! She's getting an ipad for her birthday so I think I'll be ordering NomNomPaleo's app (if she will share :rolleyes: )

My meals have been a little lackluster lately - no time no creativity. I made some yummy chicken soup last night which will last a couple of days, which is good. I will try that chocolate chili next!

I am starting to get a little nervous about reintroduction. I am already planning to go to an Easter brunch.... I was thinking of all the great offplan foods I would have, but I know that's not a good idea. Are there any seasoned veterans with some simple tips? Does it matter what you start with? Do you typically start with what you miss the most?

I feel like I'm drinking water all the time and I am still waking up every morning completely dehydrated. Is this happening to anyone else?

Into the weekend I go. Yesterday after a delicious breakfast of eggs and bacon I felt so tired I lay down and took a nap! One hour was just enough to refresh me! Strange!

Lunch yesterday was tuna salad with lots of chopped vegetables and pistachios. Last night we had the steak I had planned for Friday. Husband brought home pizza that night and I had a banana...

Today I forced myself to go on a hike and now I want another nap. -_- I have a grand week of activity planned for next week: Monday hike / ride, Tuesday lesson, Wednesday Crossfit, Thursday hike / ride, Friday Crossfit, Saturday hike / ride. Should be thinking about getting back to a running schedule to prepare for May's 5k, though last year it was difficult to run at all (so crowded, and my daughter is pretty slow)

bicky, I went to the mall myself yesterday! Watched dd have a milkshake that looked ghastly but she enjoyed it. Enjoyed my coffee.

dnewc, I too am tired of the same old meals. And looking forward to Easter! There is plenty at the good old church potluck that I know I will be able to enjoy. And I'm going to have chocolate! But only the good stuff. I can't wait!

Have a great week everyone.

Kat

I am nearing the completion of my first Whole30 and realizing that I am still batteling cravings. I just never feel like I am full!! I think I have also fallen into a rut of being bored with what I have to eat....I really miss being able to eat some string cheese as a snack or just having a slice of bread with butter on it. Makes me worry about when I get off the Whole30.... I do feel like I have changed a lot and know I want to stay paleo from now on, but I feel like I need to really work on my cravings more.

Hi there, started 3/2 so hopefully it's OK for me to jump on this thread. Just wanted to share some pictures from a fantastic trip today to the Farmers Market: pastured eggs! Grass fed meat including lamb (took home lamb sirloin, ground lamb, and put in an order for bone in pork butt)! Six different varieties of sweet potatoes! (I didn't even know there were that many, and bought a couple of O'Henry varietals; which supposedly taste like a sweet potato but with far fewer sugars.) More detail about how the salmon I purchased was raised than I thought was possible.

And the coolest thing? All of this takes place in the backyard of an elementary school, which has created an "edible schoolyard" that ties in with the weekend activity. All kinds of awesomeness.

They also had technically W30-compliant goodies like nuts roasted in water, cinnamon, and vanilla bean (no oil, no butter, no alcohol or extracts) but passed them up. This time. lol

HIllwalker - I think its wonderful that you're continuing to investigate and try to determine how to best eat for your health! As for Crossfit, I would call a local Crossfit affiliate and ask what their intro program looks like. I know at my box, we offer a free intro class Fridays and Saturdays, and then there is a 3 day "on ramp" program that introduces you to the basic moves.I started Crossfitting about a year ago and I absolutely love it!

It's Day 23 for me. Yesterday I had a ridiculous craving for Cool Ranch Doritos, which is strange, because I haven't eaten those in years. I actually stopped at the gas station and wasgoing to get some, but managed to stay strong and get a small bag of pork rinds instead. (I know those aren't great for you, but it was better than the Doritos!)

My husband was doing the Whole30 with me, but has decided he's over it. It's much harder now that he's eating off plan. This morning he fixed some pancakes from NomNomPaleo's iPad app. I didn't give in to temptation, but they looked and smelled so good! I'm ready to get to Day 31!

Pork rinds are the most nutritious thing in the snack aisle. Among other things, pork rinds are a terrific source of gelatin, which is wonderful for your joints, will do good things for your nails and hair, and is anti-inflammatory. So much for pork rinds being bad for you. Read the label; you want them to contain nothing but "pork skins"or "pork rinds". Especially avoid any rinds fried in soy or canola oils, or other vegetable oils.

MissMamey, I have had very little issues with cravings but I think it is because I am eating A LOT of food. I am never hungy. I'm kindof bracing myself for a not so great number when I weigh in.

Today is day 26 for me. I can't believe it! This weekend the food prep for the week felt routine. It started out overwhelming. I made a batch of mayonnaise, roasted a bunch of chicken, cooked a bunch of zuchinni and baked sweet potatoes, and made my first pot of chocolate chili. Wow! Who is this person? :P

Happy final stretch, everyone! :D

Lisa- Thanks for letting me know that about pork rinds! I made sure that I purchased some that only had pork rinds and salt in the ingredient list. I'm on Day 25 now and have had a much harder time sticking with it since my husband has gone completely off the Whole30. He's been drinking beer again for over a week, and this weekend he had a pimento cheese burger and onion rings. Man did I want some onion rings! I almost feel like my cravings have been worse the past few days than they were Week 1. Anyone else running into that?

On the plus side, I love planning my meals out for the week ahead of time and getting all the shopping done. Even though we're cooking more, evenings aren't as hectic now since I'm not trying to go grocery shopping, work out and cook dinner. I can actually get stuff done around the house during week!

On day 21 and thinking about getting off. My chest hurst SO bad. I'm wondering if it's all the meat? Has anyone felt this way before? I've had chronic chest pain for over 5 years. They can find nothing medically wrong with me other than acid reflux and anxiety. I have felt like meat has hurt my chest in the past, but also don't want to ruin my whole30! I know it can take longer for your body to reset, but the pain is getting unbearable. Any advice of feedback would be much appreciative!

Laura - my cravings have been pretty intense too. I am a confirmed chip-aholic - any kind of chip, Ruffles, tortilla, Cheetos, whatever. Awful I know, and my family has been keeping them in the house this whole time. The worst is when they leave the bag open on the counter! I've always thought pork rinds look disgusting (no offense).... but as a chip substitute, I'm gonna have to give them a try!

Kat13 - One possibility is the inflammation of the cartilege between your ribs which is not serious, but can cause a sharp pain in your chest. I have had this, I forget what it is called, but the remedy was large doses of ibuprofen for a long period of time. If this is new/recent and worrying you, I would think it's probably best to see a doctor.

kat I think it's usually best to listen to your instincts. If in the past you've thought it was the meat, and you're wondering that again now, maybe back off from meat - while they talk about facing down one's cravings etc etc NO ONE says this should hurt. so given that you have chest pain, and this is increasing .. well I would talk with your doctor .. or if you can find a functional doc or nutritionist to help guide you .. because pain is your body saying something. there's nothing valiant about finishing 30 days of anything if it doesn't feel right to you .. and you can always come back to another whole30 .. ya? it may be something completely separate from whether you're eating too much meat, or meat at all, but until you know more, following your own nose seems wise!

(that being said, it may be that by reducing the quantity of meat at any one meal, and making sure you're only eating grass-fed meat, and having more fish/poultry - but again in (much) smaller quantities - might help .. for myself I've been finding that 40-50g beef once a day is way more than enough, with 40-70g of fish or duck or turkey for a second meal, and for the third .. well I've been alternating between a coconut milk & berry smoothie, and kale w/apple, rosemary and bacon (or the closest I can find without added sugar in France), and bone broth with vegetables, for b'fast. The Perfect Health Diet/Jaminet (p78) recommends daily protein intake be around 15% of energy - which actually seems quite a bit less than the 3 palm-sized portions ISWF encourages .. at least measuring by MY palm!! btw the Hartwigs praise the Jaminets, and the Jaminets praise the Hartwigs, so at the end of the day don't we really just have to decide for ourselves?!)

Archived