Cross Fit Convert!

Colleen Roy

I'm in week four of twice weekly Cross Fit classes and I have to say...I LOVE IT! I was a little worried that I wouldn't see any gains doing just two workouts a week, but I'm seeing changes in my body and my strength already! So cool. Best part is that I started this because I couldn't run due to a knee issue. I'm happy to say that I'm back to running with zero loss of my distance base-did a nine miler today with no issues (other than tired shoulders from last night's CF killer WOD!) Probably not the best idea to do a nine miler 12 hours after a Cross Fit workout, but I had to get it in before the snow flies and I head to CT to help my mom who is recovering from knee replacement surgery.

I can't believe how hungry I am after a Cross Fit workout! And how well I sleep! So happy I decided to try it! Thanks for all the encouragement when I was considering it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving that my twice weekly CrossFit workouts are not kicking my butt like they were in the beginning! Woke up this morning with no soreness at all! Hooray! As soon as the play I'm directing at school is over, I'm going to try 3 workouts a week!

Missed two weeks of CrossFit due to a killer sinus infection/chest cold and then this week I had the final week of play rehearsals for the middle school play that I direct...went back today and the WOD was a COMPETITION/JUDGEMENT wod! What???? Oh, please, can I just do the workout with no judging???? Please?! Of course we could. It was a killer WOD too!

12 minute AMRAP:

150 wall balls

90 double unders

10 muscle ups

Also known as RUFKM?! I managed 120 wall balls in the 12 minutes. OH. MY. GOD. And then, I went skiing for the day. Amazing conditions here in NH, considering the fact that it's the end of March! Plus, it was Teachers Ski Free at our local mountain-how could I not ski?! My quads were VERY tired by the end of the day!!!!

Heading to closing night of my play....can't wait for drama season to be over and get my life back! I love what I do, but I love it when I get my time back too!

Happy weekend everyone!

Well done, Colleen. I saw that workout, too — it's a doozy of a workout, part of the once-a-year Crossfit Games. I hope you are as impressed as I am that you did 120 wall balls in 12 minutes! What a great success!

I was so happy to find out that there was a Crossfit gym here in Gladstone QLD!!! I went along for my 1st session on Monday and again Tuesday, but today need a rest day because my leg muscles are so sore! :D LOVE IT.

A question for the more experienced Crossfitters....how much is too much? Although I have only been to two sessions, I really enjoyed the hard work and I want to go every morning before work. Is 5 days a week too much or should I listen to my body and have rest days when I am really sore.

I have completed my Whole30 in February and lost over 5kgs and 29cm's all over. My body is screaming - EXERCISE!!! :rolleyes:

I went twice a week for five weeks and was craving more-planned on going 3 times a week, but then I got sick and had play rehearsal and a bunch of other things that got in the way of MY time....so, I've only managed once a week for the last two weeks. BOO.

Everyone I spoke to said to ease into it. Start with two days, add a third day, then a fourth....I was definitely feeling good enough to add that third day after 3 weeks. Will have to start over again now....BOO!

Good luck!

I went this morning and because there was only 4 other people there, the trainer was able to give me one on one "attention".

OMG.......I have not worked that hard...um...EVER!!!

Feel great now though, but I think I will go three then ease into 5 days per week.

I was so happy to find out that there was a Crossfit gym here in Gladstone QLD!!! I went along for my 1st session on Monday and again Tuesday, but today need a rest day because my leg muscles are so sore! :D LOVE IT.

A question for the more experienced Crossfitters....how much is too much? Although I have only been to two sessions, I really enjoyed the hard work and I want to go every morning before work. Is 5 days a week too much or should I listen to my body and have rest days when I am really sore.

I have completed my Whole30 in February and lost over 5kgs and 29cm's all over. My body is screaming - EXERCISE!!! :rolleyes:

Crossfit is one of the most fun workouts around, welcome to the club! Crossfit headquarters follows a three days on, one day off. So in a given week that could be anywhere from six to four classes. If you're new, I'd suggest an every other day schedule. I've been doing it for a couple of years now, and this is my normal workout schedule for the week:

• M: Crossfit
  • T: Crossfit
  • W: Yoga, though I try to stay away from any kind of vinyasa and opt for a more deep stretch like Yin
  • Th: Crossfit
  • F: Rest, but active rest, so a lot of foam rolling, band stretching, lacrosse ball rubbing, and all the grimacing that goes along with it
  • Sa: Crossfit
  • Su: Yoga, free vinyasa at my local Lululemon

How you recover is just as important as how many times you work out. Try checking out Kelly Starrett's website, http://www.mobilitywod.com/ for some awesome recovery and mobility work. You need to eat just as much or more on recovery days, too! And drink tons of water, take your fish oil, and get lots of sleep. LOTS OF SLEEP. Food and sleep are how your body repairs.Good luck!

Crossfit is one of the most fun workouts around, welcome to the club! Crossfit headquarters follows a three days on, one day off. So in a given week that could be anywhere from six to four classes. If you're new, I'd suggest an every other day schedule. I've been doing it for a couple of years now, and this is my normal workout schedule for the week:

• M: Crossfit
  • T: Crossfit
  • W: Yoga, though I try to stay away from any kind of vinyasa and opt for a more deep stretch like Yin
  • Th: Crossfit
  • F: Rest, but active rest, so a lot of foam rolling, band stretching, lacrosse ball rubbing, and all the grimacing that goes along with it
  • Sa: Crossfit
  • Su: Yoga, free vinyasa at my local Lululemon

How you recover is just as important as how many times you work out. Try checking out Kelly Starrett's website,
for some awesome recovery and mobility work. You need to eat just as much or more on recovery days, too! And drink tons of water, take your fish oil, and get lots of sleep. LOTS OF SLEEP. Food and sleep are how your body repairs.Good luck!

MyWar, thanks very much for that info!

I will go alternate days. Just did two days in a row now and I know that my body just wont do another one tomorrow (even thought I want to :unsure: ) Will definately look up the stretching and recovery exercises - I need them at the moment.

Very much looking forward to getting fitter each week so I can fully participate in the exercises!! It is really frustrating for me grrrrrr :angry: But, I also know it is not realistic to be able to bust out 30 pull ups when you are over weight and not fit :D

I will get there!!!

Oh and my husband and I have purchase two kayaks yesterday!!! Hopefully they will arrive by the weekend so we can go for a paddle!

CrossFit is amaze. My husband and I joined our local box after finishing our first Whole30. I've been amazed at what my body can do! We usually go five days a week and run one day on the weekend with one total rest day.

What I've found most amazing is how much I've improved on simple things without actually working on them. Like running! 8 weeks ago running 200 meters was HARD WORK! We only make sure to run once a week (on an off day) and last night we ran 200 meters 5 times. I ran all five times. ALL FIVE. It was SO much easier, I was doing it faster and more effectively. Sometimes it surprises me when I do something like running well and I kind of get emotional. Never in a million years did I think I could do something like CrossFit and do it WELL!

After our WOD last night (which was a repeat of one a few months ago), everyone was looking at their previous times/weights and had improved by leaps and bounds. One of our guys told me he had never seen something work so well for so many different types of people and he is right. It's amaze!

• 5 months later...

How much are you all paying per month for CrossFit?  It is very intriguing to me, however there are 3 gyms that are local to me, and they charge $210 / $195 / $212.50 per month each for unlimited monthly membership.  That cost is insane to me.  I already pay $135 / month for a membership at Equinox which is the gold standard of fitness clubs, at least in this area.  I would of course have to cancel that if I started CrossFit, but the price is simply too high to consider.  I know I live in an expensive area, but it's really ridiculous that they are charging these prices for a place that refers to itself as a 'box'.  Makes me think it's only a fad that they are trying to cash in on before everyone moves on to the next thing.

I love crossfit but I hurt my shoulders a few months ago. This wasn't Crossfit's fault, although many of the olympic lifts in timed workouts can lead to sloppy form and injury, my problem occurred when I was taking a class with a 19 year old coach who honestly didn't pay very much attention to form. I was extremely new to crossfit and my push press form wasn't great. We had a wod for time that included around 45 push presses at high speed that I knocked out a full minute faster than everyone else in the class. I started experiencing shoulder pain a few days after that persisted for weeks. I took a full 6 days off from any type of exercise when I was traveling and my shoulders felt as good as new. I did a few wods in the past week that had a lot of shoulder based moves and now they're starting to hurt again. So frustrating!! If you have a great coach who really makes you focus on form when you're new and you are careful not to exceed your limits I think crossfit is a phenomenal program. 

I really love it so I'm continuing to go and putting my ego aside and lifting very light until I can get the shoulder thing under control. 

Anyways as far as costs the box I go to is 122 a month with the first month 1/2 off. It is by far the best deal out of any boxes in my area. 

Archived