First Week - Do I have to use the recipes?

LindaLee

It's really inconvenient for me to make a bunch of recipes every or even most days, even if I make a batch and save it. Can I alternate the recipes with meals that follow the proportions in the Success Guide? Please say yes...in addition to not having time to prepare and cook all those recipes, if I ONLY eat those meals I'm starving in-between.

Thanks!

Linda

Oh, thank you...I thank you, and my husband the meat and (sweet) potatoes man thanks you!

That's been the easiest, best, and most satisfying...I love the chicken apple hash - I made it with ground turkey. That really gets me through the morning without a problem.

Linda, I have hardly followed any recipes at all through my whole 30 -- except that one awesome recipe for crockpot pork roast down in the recipes thread. I found it really helpful this time to just not worry too much about variety or about things being fancy. A lot of times my plate is just meat, veggie, veggie, with maybe a side of fruit and coconut cream. It's the Paleo "meat and three" approach. I think I'll write a book ;)

Thanks, befab! It's made life much easier to just look at what's in the fridge and cook what we're in the mood for, rather than having to plan and do exactly what I originally thought. My lunch today was a salad with tons of veggies and some salmon topped with that homemade mayo (sooo cool and sooo good), and it was delish.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been doing recipes at all...keeping it simple for now. I think it's good to get the basics down first anyway. I'll probably get more into cooking different things in the fall....not much of a summer cook. Too much going on all the time!

I haven't done any recipes, yet. I have also been keeping it fairly simply as I have a busy schedule. I am also adjusting from doing 5-6 meals a day to 3 big glorious meals. I am excited to enjoy cooking dinner and just having enough leftovers for lunch the next day instead of cooking in such bulk.

I've used a couple ideas from ISWF -- my family is now addicted to curry -- but most of my meals have come from elsewhere. Tonight, for example, we're having Argentinian flank steak with homemade chimichurri sauce. I'm making cauliflower and root vegetable puree (from the Nom Nom Paleo app) on the side, along with spinach. I scooped Santa Claus melon balls this morning so we'll have cold melon for dessert (I'll only have a few pieces, and the rest of the non-Whole 30 family will have more). We'll have enough flank steak left for breakfast/lunch tomorrow, and I'll use the remainder of the chimichurri sauce to baste on chicken thighs for dinner tomorrow night. With the exception of the puree, the rest of the meal is all things I've made before I started Whole 30, albeit usually for a special occasion rather than a regular family dinner.

are there recipes here on this site or do you have to buy the book? I hate the thought of having another cookbook I don't use often. I like ideas anyway not actual recipes. And I would rather just look it up on the internet. And then if I use it enough copy it out or save in my files on the computer more likely.

And if they are here on the site...direct me please. I'm having a hard time navigating. I hate being a newbie. LOL

I do a mix of recipes and no recipes. Most of what I ate before was Whole30 compliant if I just left out the starch, so that part was easy. I find that trying new recipes is fun though and adds a lot of variety. This has been critical for keeping my husband engaged in this last week! New, delicious foods to try is always a plus in my book. :)

I have not made much of my food from recipes for my Whole30. For right now, I'm just trying to get the hang of this. I have the Well Fed cookbook as wall as some others, that I will be cooking from in the near future. I did make the mayo, and the cauliflower rice.(I made the rice, but didn't follow the recipe.

One trick that's really helped me stay positive this month is to treat family dinner as if there's company coming. Instead of just sticking with the simple basics, I've been cooking meals that used to be reserved for special occasions and experimenting with new recipes. This approach has kept things interesting for me and my family, making me appreciate all the good things I'm eating instead of thinking about the foods I gave up.

Archived