Need advice on magnesium intake

mary-t

Thank you in advance for reading as this turned out longer than I thought it would be. :)

I just started supplementing with Natural Calm Monday night after self-diagnosing a magnesium deficiency. However, now I have some questions for those of you with more experience.

A bit of background, I've been on prescribed Calcium/Mag/D for at least two years (1200/600/800). However, I have repeatedly come up low on Calcium and D levels in blood tests (or just barely normal). In the last three months or so of 2012, I began regularly having muscle cramps, muscle fatigue, headaches, general malaise and apathy. I attributed those symptoms to food intolerance issues due my history with Celiac and other food reactions. This led me to the Whole30.

I did 49 days of AIP Whole30 eating, took a bit of an unanticipated break (testing eggs and walnuts threw me on a sugar bender), and then started another AIP Whole30 three days ago. By that time, I'd done quite a bit of reading and realized that magnesium levels are probably a problem (and responsible for the calcium and D levels).

I'm currently taking 1 tsp. of Natural Calm nightly. I already feel better (head is clearer, fatigue is improving, etc.). However, I'm having problems with loose stools, yet still having muscle cramps.

Is this a normal adjustment process that disappears with time?

Should I take the Natural Calm with food? With another supplement?

Should I decrease the dose (and lose the positive effects, sob)? Split the dosage (although it tends to make me sleepy)?

My guess is that this is an absorption issue rather than the dose being too high. My small intestine is badly damaged (but recovering!) from Celiac. Is there another form in which magnesium can be taken to be better absorbed?

I really think I'm on the right path as overall this is a big improvement over how I felt before. To be honest, a little diarrhea might be worth it. But any suggestions you might have would be very much appreciated.

• Moderators

I would just accept the diarrhea and keep taking as much Natural Calm as you are. Many people "adjust" to the Natural Calm after a while anyway. Another way to get magnesium would be to soak in Epsom salts. I used to take Epsom salt baths long ago. I don't think they promote diarrhea, but they do give you a good dose of magnesium.

I noticed my natural calm bottle suggests working up to larger doses, but it also suggests dividing your dose into 2 different times during the day? Does anyone do that? I've been thinking of it as a bed-time drink, so I'm not sure when I should take the other dose if it makes you sleepy?

Thanks, Tom, I needed to hear that. I do hope that this is just a normal adjustment. I'm really liking the improvement in my symptoms from the Natural Calm, but the diarrhea seems to be part of the deal. I'll check into the epsom salts more too as I think more magnesium would be a good idea (currently I'm just taking one tsp), but my gut can't handle too much more. I have to say that it's amaaaaazing how much the Natural Calm has helped in a short time. I never would have believed it.

I noticed my natural calm bottle suggests working up to larger doses, but it also suggests dividing your dose into 2 different times during the day? Does anyone do that? I've been thinking of it as a bed-time drink, so I'm not sure when I should take the other dose if it makes you sleepy?

Hi Seaglass, I can only offer the experience of splitting the dose for one day, but it made me kind of sleepy/draggy for about 2-3 hours and then I felt alert again. I'm going to experiment with splitting the dose over spring break.

Tom, I just wanted to pop back in and say thank you for your suggestion of the epsom salt baths. They are fantastic. Found these epsom salts that have rosemary and mint essential oil added to them. It's like a spa event now when I take a bath!! LOVE them. Plus I feel like I get a good dose of magnesium. I feel like I've really taken a step forward this week.

Seaglassgreen, I tried dividing my dose of Natural Calm into two (a.m. and p.m.); it worked, but I felt a bit lethargic in the a.m. Can't say if that effect would have continued as I had to switch to magnesium glycinate (a formula that is more easily absorbed) due to malabsorption issues I have from Celiac. Hopes this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as splitting it up, you can try to take that daytime dose when you are feeling higher stress levels, muscle tightness, etc. if I take my daytime dose when just morning, I get tired; if I take it when my body can really use it for stress or muscle tightness, or other issues, I don't seem to get that drag.

I just ordered magnesium chelate to try, because from what I've been reading, the body absorbs it better at the higher amounts (I'm aiming for between 800-1000 ultimately). At the moment I'm using Natural Calm, and working up to the recommended dose (which is the U.S. RDA, by the way - an amount many folks say is too low for most of us - hence my desire to get a kind of magnesium that I could take higher doses of). Once the magnesium chelate arrives I'll try it out and hopefully all will be well.

So the Epsom Salts are absorbed through the skin? Fascinating.

I am interested in a good magnesium source as well. I too have read about how we (SAD eaters et al) are all magnesium deficient. I took Floradix liquid magnesium (from food sources apparently) with good results during both of my pregnancies and since with great results. But it contains honey so is out for now.

I take the other dose in the morning with my tea. I don't think it really causes sleepness as much as it just regulates the level of Mag in your body, which would ultimately help you stay asleep. I actually stopped taking the evening dose altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry if my question sounds dumb, but im just slowly trying to take in all of the magnesium information im finding on this forum.

Just a quick background, i have long suffered from extremely irregular bowel movements (like once a week or even once every two weeks), and have connected with doctors and will be seeing a GI doctor in the fall, but was reccomended to do Whole30 in the mean time. I have had success getting more regular so far on the program but am intrigued by what im reading everywhere about this Natural Calm product.

So here come my questions (and i know they are probably dumb, but i just want to make sure i understand):

Naturally Calm is a magnesium product that is okay to take every day as it is not a laxative. Is this different from Milk of Magnesium?

Also, i read an article on the Whole30 blog about Digestive Enzymes and how they can help with this too.....are they different? or is Natural Calm a digestive enzyme.

any clarification would be awsome! thanks :)

Some forms of magnesium are laxatives, and sold as laxatives. The dose is usually higher than a daily supplement dose. Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) and straight up Magnesium Citrate are examples of this.

Natural Calm is magnesium citrate. Some people don't get a laxative effect at the smaller dose, some do. I'm one of the people that react to the smaller dose of this, although I love the calming properties of taking Natural Calm. My gut can't handle it though. You might like the laxative effect? I personally don't buy into that it isn't habit forming for your intestinal flow based on what I know, but you have to form your own opinion on that.

Amy mentioned above about chelated magnesium. From what I have read it doesn't have the laxative effect like the other forms of magnesium, and is the most readily available to humans for absorption. Sounds like a good option for the loose IBS-ers like me.

What Holly said.

Basically, magnesium comes in various forms, and the forms that are less well absorbed cause the, err, bowel stuff. Some people gravitate toward the ones like magnesium citrate (Natural Calm) for that very reason. I take magnesium chelate because it is more highly absorbed and therefore doesn't cause the famous end result. :lol: But that's because I take it for blood pressure and not for IBS or constipation. Note: with either citrate or chelate I get the better sleep, better mental focus, more calm feelings. And the Milk of Magnesia stuff is designed to be poorly absorbed, hence the effects.

I ordered magnesium chelate but was able to find Natural Calm (magnesium citrate) at my local health food store.

For me, the benefits have been significant, so I'd suggest trying one form of magnesium and if it doesn't work, switch to another. I recommend the stuff.

Hi, digestive enzymes are a totally different thing from magnesium. They have no laxitive effect but you take them with a meal and they help the body digest the food. A lot of people find them beneficial, especially if doing a W30 involves eating more meat than usual as the body sometimes takes a little while to increase it's own enzymes. If you're getting them, just make sure you get ones without added nasties. Personally I swear by Viridian Digestive Aid but that's a UK brand, I'm not sure what's available elsewhere.

........ But that's because I take it for blood pressure and not for IBS or constipation. Note: with either citrate or chelate I get the better sleep, better mental focus, more calm feelings. And the Milk of Magnesia stuff is designed to be poorly absorbed, hence the effects.

<stroking chin> Very interesting....I haven't researched the blood pressure component, but it makes sense. Is it working for you on that front?

You also mentioned the chelated form good for the relaxing feeling. Is your supplement a pill or a powder to get that affect? That's all I really like it for. My mag level otherwise is fine.

Wait, is it affect of effect in this case? I don't want to offend the grammar goddess.

Effect :) Affect is a verb, effect is a noun. So basically the supplement would affect you and give you the effect you want :) Grammer Police?? - Moi??

[/size]

<stroking chin> Very interesting....I haven't researched the blood pressure component, but it makes sense. Is it working for you on that front?

You also mentioned the chelated form good for the relaxing feeling. Is your supplement a pill or a powder to get that affect? That's all I really like it for. My mag level otherwise is fine.

So far so good - however as with anything you take for blood pressure, you wait about two months to see the full effect. I just started taking the magnesium about two weeks ago. Stay tuned! If you look at my thread on the Whole30 with medical conditions forum, you'll see the link to the book I read about magnesium as treatment (not just symptom management) for blood pressure. It's pretty awesome.

I take a pill form, and I take 400 mg per day (so two pills). If you don't get digestive issues from mag citrate, you can stick with it - but I like the way mag chelate works better - it's more gentle, I suppose because it's higher absorption? Not sure. But anyway, I don't feel sleepy when I take it, but I can go to sleep easily and I stay asleep well and I wake up refreshed. This is also true with the Natural Calm, but for me the digestive issues the mag citrate causes are significant enough to disrupt the soothing effects. :lol: With mag chelate, no digestive issues, so I'm good. :P

Wait, is it affect of effect in this case? I don't want to offend the grammar goddess.

Effect :) Affect is a verb, effect is a noun. So basically the supplement would affect you and give you the effect you want :) Grammer Police?? - Moi??

lol... I thought I had it wrong!

Y'all are my kind of freaks. :wub:

I'm quite pregnant at the moment, have experienced severe muscle soreness for much of the duration this time around as well as the obcious sleep disruptions.

Natural Calm ( even on inconsistent basis) coupled with Epsom salt baths (min 4x per week) have been lifesavers.

Lifesavers!!!

Do it. You won't be disappointed. Your body will thank you.

PS : both have also played a role, to my mind at least, in establishing and maintaining digestive regularity, which in this situation as you mommas know is sooooo tricky ;)

• 2 weeks later...

By the way... a qualified nutritionist suggested that instead of purchasing an enzymes to have a tsp of organice apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day before breakfast and dinner. It is working a treat for me. I am more regular now.

Archived