Coconut aminos - necessary?

Betsy Mahaffey See

I want to make this meatball recipe tonight, but I don't have coconut aminos. Can I omit them? Not sure what they are or how they affect the recipe.

Thanks

Meatball Ingredients:

• 1 lb lean ground turkey, or choice of ground meat
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
  • 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt, and pepper

you can omit them. They add a salty sweetness so as mentioned above they're used as a soy replacement. You'll also see them subbed in for things like worcestershire sauce but you won't miss them. You may want to add some salt to that recipe (maybe 1/4 tsp) because you'll miss out on that if you exclude the coconut aminos.

I've been subbing out balsamic vinegar with sea salt for coconut aminos - I use the same volume of vinegar that the recipe calls for of aminos, then add in a dash or two of salt. Not sure I would try it for a stir fry, but for other recipes it seems to work fine.

The only issue there is that it's equally difficult to find a compliant fish sauce!

Red Boat is compliant. Two neighborhood grocery stores near me carry it along with coconut aminos. Also both are available on amazon.

These are both really good things to have in your W30/Paleo cupboard. They both add a certain umami that really can't be replicated.

Archived