April Whole 30 group

Jessica Reagan

The "Whole30" does impose really strict rules, but it is what it is.

You can choose to limit your dairy/wheat/alcohol/sugar and still see great health benefits from that, but that's different from a "Whole30"

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's a personal decision if you want to cheat (I realize it isn't whole30 approved). I'm not real comfortable with the black-and-white thinking (as in "I have to be perfect or I have to start over") of this program. I think the food plan itself is sound, but I'm not a "drink the kool aid" type. Recognize that you have a choice to make and make it. If you want to then go back on the plan, I think it's up to you if you should start over. The question I ask myself is "Will I be sad in 24 hours that I didn't get to eat/drink that?" If the answer is no, I don't have it.

Hmm..No kool aid drank here. It is a fairly black and white program. It is meant to reset your relationship with food and to weed out certain foods that could/are causing problems for you.

Another one chiming in on the strictness. It's not a "don't eat this food because we say so" kind of program, there is science behind it. Eating clean, cutting out inflammatory foods and ingredients, avoiding meat with antibiotics and hormones added in the growth process -- it's all about healing my gut. Clearing things out. Getting on the road to being so healthy I can't hardly stand it. That's why it's not about the scale or the occasional cheat -- it's about literally saving my life.

I envy people who haven't experienced the debilitating exhaustion of burnout and poor eating habits -- I used to be that way myself. But at fifty, discovering the kind of youthful energy like I used to have back in the day, after barely being able to get through a twenty-four hour period without a four-hour nap -- after recovering from a several months-long illness -- it's a miracle. One not worth trading for a glass of whatever.

If I've been as compliant as has been possible for me, then when I do begin to add things back hopefully I'll be able to pinpoint what every day foods are actually poison to my body. I've seen enough of a difference to know I don't want death by cheesecake, it's not even funny to me anymore. It's reality, and I've hated it the last three years.

... that got rather somber. Carry on!

I made swede last night as I had one in the cupboard and didn't want sweet potato for my starchy veg again. (I usually have potato when I do fish and salad-- probably the only time I have potatoes)

I didn't even know what a swede was the first time it was served to me. (It's a rutabaga, which at least I'd heard of :) )

I used the same seasonings that I use on sweet potato fries and they turned out just as nice. (fennel, coriander, oregano & chilli flakes-- from smittenkitchen, but don't visit the website if you're at all tempted into eating off plan by delicious looking food pictures)

Question: anyone has a planned cheat coming up? I'm invited to a party next weekend and I'm making some homemade ice cream (so, so good, this is the 4th time I'm making it for someone else, but the 1st time it will actually be someone other than me devouring it, haha) and also wanted to have some wine. There will be lots of paleo people there, so I imagine others will bring Primal or Whole30-friendly stuff. I've pondered hard whether I should just stick to it, but I really don't see myself enjoying the evening with a glass of water in my hand and raw vegetables in another, so I've pretty much decided I'll have wine (no more than 2 glasses) and one food item that's not Whole30-friendly if I feel that it's worth it - no pizza or store-bought cake or anything like that.

Hi Jochi,

I'd encourage you not to cheat. I was at my sister's last weekend and I was really, really tempted to have a couple of glasses of wine at dinner with everyone else - and even more tempted when everyone continued to drink afterwards. But I'm glad I resisted and stuck to the program. For one thing, I felt good the next morning while my husband was nursing a bit of a hangover - hah! But I also liked knowing that I was strong enough to resist temptation and I didn't have to give in to what would feel good in the moment. After all, I've got my whole life to have whatever I want to eat. I ended up staying up late with everyone and having a great time anyway, no wine needed.

For me personally I plan on sticking to the "strict" whole30 throughout the month of April. I can understand where you are coming from but at the same time I was always told if your going to do something don't half-ass it. The program says not to cheat; therefor, I'm not going to cheat. I may not follow the rules in all aspects of my life but for 30 days I can follow a simple program.

Last weekend I went out to a bar to watch the Syracuse Michigan game with a lot of my friends. Fortunately, I was on call for work and couldn't drink in case there was an emergency. Had I been able to have a few beers I honestly don't think I would have. Why? Because its 30 days. I can follow a program for 30 days and then tweak it for my needs later. Also, I have enjoyed not being hungover these last 14 days.

Is anyone a Dentist? I thought this was funny as I was scheduling my next dentist appointment for this month (my Whole30)...toothpaste and the stuff they use to clean out our teeth always tastes sugary. I'm wondering if we are all breaking the rules each time we go to the dentist. Just a thought.

Is anyone a Dentist? I thought this was funny as I was scheduling my next dentist appointment for this month (my Whole30)...toothpaste and the stuff they use to clean out our teeth always tastes sugary. I'm wondering if we are all breaking the rules each time we go to the dentist. Just a thought.

I think there's an exemption for medically necessary things - I remember reading a thread where someone had a similar question regarding a supplement their doc had given them that contained alcohol, and they were told it was ok since it was prescribed by a physician. I'd think a visit to the dentist would be similar.

It's ok, but it's preferred that you eat whole eggs, as the yolks have lots of nutrients in them.

I tend to have lots of leftover egg whites from making mayo, and add them to scrambled whole eggs, that way I'm eating the nutrients that the yolk has, but not wasting the eggwhite

Regarding leftover egg whites: beat 2-3 whites until soft peaks form, add in a bit of liquid honey and continue beating until glossy and smooth. Paint onto your (clean and dry) face and allow to dry over 10-15 minutes. Peel it off and wash your wash with warm water. Ta Da! Smooth, tightened skin.

If you're prone to blackheads, add a packet of gelatin to the mix before beating, the resulting mix will pull blackheads when you remove the mask.

Jenna Marie - it's probably sulfites. A lot of dried fruit has sulfites and they mess with my son's stomach big time. Feel better.

I actually think it's the insane amount of fiber. I will never forget the one day I had 2 lbs of chocolate-covered apricots....best/worst day ever. :lol::ph34r:

I made swede last night as I had one in the cupboard and didn't want sweet potato for my starchy veg again. (I usually have potato when I do fish and salad-- probably the only time I have potatoes)

I didn't even know what a swede was the first time it was served to me. (It's a rutabaga, which at least I'd heard of :) )

I used the same seasonings that I use on sweet potato fries and they turned out just as nice. (fennel, coriander, oregano & chilli flakes-- from smittenkitchen, but don't visit the website if you're at all tempted into eating off plan by delicious looking food pictures)

Nice. I tried rutabaga as part of my "let's try an obscure vegetable or fruit!" endeavours and hated it. I actually made a rabbit stew with it and had to throw out the whole thing, because the taste of rutabaga permeated everything, including the meat.

Nice. I tried rutabaga as part of my "let's try an obscure vegetable or fruit!" endeavours and hated it. I actually made a rabbit stew with it and had to throw out the whole thing, because the taste of rutabaga permeated everything, including the meat.

Lol, that's actually why I chose that spice blend, just in case the swede flavour was too overpowering.

Day 10 already. :D I'm adding in a bit of fruit this week (Really well priced raspberries, strawberries and grapes at the market)

There were no leafy greens in the supermarket this week, so lots of spinach again I guess.

Got a question... are any of you working out regularly? And, if so, are you eating the pre/post workout mini-meals? I've been exercising, but it's been relatively light, and I honestly don't know if it's enough to require the extra meals. I usually exercise at about 5:00 when I get home from work. I do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical, not super strenuous, and some bodyweight exercises like pushups/situps/squats. I don't usually feel hungry before my workout, and I eat dinner within a half hour or so of finishing, so I'm just wondering if I need the extra food or not... any thoughts?

If you don't need the extra meal, then I'd say skip it. Especially since you are eating dinner immediately after your workout. Make sure you fill up on the veggies, fat's, protein post-workout to replenish your muscles and you should be fine. Anyone disagree? I workout at 6am (crossfit) pretty much every day of the week and my first meal of the day is breakfast. I do not eat a meal between my workout and breakfast.

I work out 4x a week in the morning, before breakfast, at a circuit/bootcamp & 3 x a week after work running.

My morning routine consists of getting up, doing the workout & eating breakfast that is protein & veggie starch rich, but little fat. Then if I need to, I add a min meal between breakfast & lunch, but don't usually need it. Before my runs however, I definately do a pre-workout meal (usually a hard boiled egg with a spoonful of almond butter, or handful or macadamia nuts), and after eat protein & starchy veg, before cooking dinner. If dinner is leftovers, & all I have to do is reheat it, then I skip the post-workout meal.

My runs at the moment are only 3-4miles (I'm slowly training for a half marathon), & even though its only 35-50mins long I feel I do better having some protein in my system before starting. I have tried to do without,but those days feel flat.

So if I was in your position Kat2021, I would try the pre-WO meal, & see how you feel

Archived