Getting my life back

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot again and couldn't resist an icecream which I might regret tomorrow. It's going to stay above 30/86F during the night... Talka bout a heat wave. Thinking I might hav to commit to a full whole30 tomorrow as this flexibility isn't Woking for me right now... Seems similar to what your re going through Sara, wanna join me?

If its right for you go for it Sara. I miss my runs and its mainly because I haven't been eating and sleeping right that I don't feel like doing them.

So I have officially committed starting today

Hope you will all check in and support me... It's going to be nasty for the first few days but I am already miserable with the heat, cramps and inflamed scalp so what's to lose?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16539-whole60-till-april-no-caffeine-either/

• 1 month later...

Finished my 60 days caffeine free with about 99% success so happy with that. Keeping off the coffee for another few weeks.

Started a renewed effort yesterday and will continue for three months. Still setting my goals but following a strict whole30 for the start in the meantime. More later :)

I like being a bit busy, but its too much at the moment, my stress levels a really high. In a way, that makes it easier to stay off coffee and sugar and go for walks etc as I really need all the help I can get. It should settle down towards the end of April I hope.

And I have a weeks leave next week with lots of healthy eating and exercise planned!

So far so good. I did have two small squares of dark almond chocolate yesterday so that's blown the whole30 side but I ate three good meals and no other nasties, just a couple of dates at dinner but I went to the gym, went for a walk and did a gym stick class so that's pretty good.

I've done my 6 km run this morning and had roast chicken and homemade tomato soup for brekkie so off to another good start today

• 2 weeks later...

Had a brilliant holiday. It was wonderful having healthy meals prepared for me.... Probably not completely sugar free but no dairy, grains or legumes at least. And no tea, coffee or alcohol. Lots of bush walks, yoga classes, saunas, spas and gym workouts. I can feel my stomach muscles again which is nice and my arms are looking more toned. I learnt a lot about probiotics and enzymes and soaking nuts etc and the benefit of gelatine - think bone broth for sealing leaky guts plus got a good explanation for why the short intense daily HIIT works... Switches on more muscle fibres and therefore speeds up your metabolism.

So I have got lots of new things to try which I think will reverse the weight I have gained this last year.

After 6 days of healthy eating, I splurged today with coconut chips, kale chips, pure chocolate and a seed bar. Lucky I had a vege soup for breakfast and a huge salad for lunch as well. I had no room for dinner though. So a bit silly. BUT very pleased I didn't dive into the coffee, wine or any other junk and I am pretty confident I can avoid snacks tomorrow.

Enjoyed my time away from computers and tv. Going to see if I can keep these for the weekend, work excepted of course.

Sounds like an excellent holiday - mental, emotional, and physical!  Awesome.

I'm interested to hear what you learned about probiotics/enzymes.  I'm still taking both, but I've been thinking about slowly eliminating the enzymes.  And I've never understood if you could take the probiotics and enzymes at the same time...

Anyway, if you can cut out coffee, you can definitely keep electronics to the weekend.  ;)

Mixing raw and cooked foods at meals is a good substitute for enzymes. Raw foods contain both enzymes and enzyme inhibitors. Cooking food destroys some enzymes and also the enzyme inhibitors. So mixing both is the best, I always wondered why so its good to know. Enzyme supplements are particularly recommended if you have a deficient pancreas or gall bladder. I have had problems with supplements in the past but going to try acidophilus morning and night and an enzyme supplement midday. Going to have bone broth morning and night too plus a homemade probiotic drink from keffir and juice morning and night and a bottled one at lunch. Hoping this will help reverse the weight gain.

Be interesting to see how long it is before I have coffee. The cocoa last night made me jittery..... :(

Howdy!!!!  So nice to hear about your vacation.  I would love a vacation like that. 

I'm finding the same thing about coffee - and the longer I go without it, the more even decaf affects me.  These days, a decaf coffee affects me the same way caffeinated coffee used to affect me.  I know this is because I'm getting ever healthier, and therefore more sensitive to when my system is out of whack - but wow!  That seems REALLY sensitive.  Still, there it is.

Happy weekend and happy healthy eating. 

Sorry about the jitters!  Maybe coffee or anything caffeinated will have to be a special treat?  Was the cocoa with food?

Thanks for the information!  I think I am going to continue scaling back the enzymes, until I run out.  I'm taking a probiotic twice a day, but I do want to add back in some fermented foods, like sauerkraut or kerfir.  We'll see how it goes.  I've been more, ahem, regular, and it is a priority for me to keep that working.  Changing things slowly, I think is key for me. I know bone broth is supposed to be so good for you, but so far it hasn't been something I enjoy...

Only lasted two days with the enzymes, severe wind and stomach pain both days but not the third day when I omitted it.

The cocoa was as a drink with hot water and it was with a meal.....

Moot point now, there was so much free chocolate at work today for eater I must have consumed enough caffeine to equate to a good few cups of coffee... So far no stomach problems at least. Maybe the bone broth and probiotics are having a protective effect?

Happy Easter all.

Also, maybe being off the caffeine most of the time is allowing enough healing to survive a day or two of caffeine?

I've dropped my enzymes with dinner (as my dinner is always late and then I felt like I was taking the enzymes too close to my probiotics) with no ill effects so far.

Happy Easter!

:D

I had some processed food as well.  I didn't have any ill effects, other than the fact that bread and chocolate sound good to me now, when last week I wouldn't have even thought about them.  I'm also trying to figure out how I would like to incorporate alcohol into my life.  I'm really proud of the way I've cut it out as an everyday experience.  But I want to allow some consumption.  I want some structure around it, but without feeling restrictive.  But I also don't want rules like I can have it once a week, because then I'll have it once a week whether that makes sense or not.  I'm going to think on this...

I took a day off yesterday for Easter and I'm back at it this morning.

The longer I eat this way (been doing it most of the last year and a half) the harder it is to consume the amounts of junk I used to just eat on a regular basis.  I really feel the difference in my body, brain, and emotions.  Frankly, I'm not sure how I made it through my life without Whole30 eating - unhealthy eating really messes with me.

Funny isn't it.... When I think about the processed food I have actually had its hot cross buns, a donut, a few biscuits, a home made pudding, some rice, an icecream and chocolate.... It's not bread, sugary cereals or flavoured yoghurt, muffins, packaged cakes, restaurant takeaways or cafe foods.... I've had plenty of veges, fruit, meat and good fats too.

I am a bit bloated and my skin is suffering slightly and I have slight congestion and a sore throat, not enough to feel miserable but enough to want to feel better by making good food choices again.... It's a good place to be!

Archived