Getting my life back

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7 today. The days aren't particularly hard but they seem to be going slowly. I was really craving fruit this afternoon, kept thinking about blueberries with coconut cream. Not sure that I will make 100 days without fruit.... But I do feel like I am doing the whole30 properly for the first time. I have a fancy work dinner out on day 20 so it won't be the full length but that doesn't matter to me.

Dinner (chicken and veg) was late but I filled up on a bowl of vege soup and a carrot. Lunch was left over burgers and veg and breakfast was soup with ground beef.

Hubby cut our walk short today going a different way (5km) but I did 5km on my lunchtime walk, it was sunny!

Looking forward to my bed tonight.

Yay for a sunny day!

So when you say you feel like you are doing W30 properly for the first time, do you mean in relation to the template, not snacking, taking out fruit, etc?  Are you going to try to do  more than 10 days of taking those items out?

My first whole30 was pretty good but I think I relied on fruit and nuts to make my food feel more interesting and I did make a few swypo dishes as well and I definitely ate too much towards the end. I still lost 7lb though Then I did a whole100 to try to fix my skin issues and for that I allowed any foods in any amounts as long as the ingredients were compliant. I gained weight, a lot due the stress of having tests over 6 months which ended up in surgery in May last year. And I have never really got my diet and exercise back to a stable healthy place since despite many attempts.

So this is it!

I need to lose 10kg and rebuild my muscle mass.

I figured fruit and coffee and cocoa and nuts and coconut were sabotaging my previous attempts at craving control and calorie deficit.

I also figured not eating fruit is hard and also that a 10kg loss requires a 100 days minimum, probably lots more but I could focus on attempting this for 10 lots of ten days which is pretty much the rest of the year or to December which is our summer. No calorie counting; weighing every 7-10 days; following the template; walking 6-10km most days; no cheating ... then perhaps a glass of wine and a piece of chocolate at the end of each ten days, or if I have a really fancy work dinner... Allocate that as the one cheat meal in the ten days...

That's the plan. So far its been easier than I thought but I do get overwhelmed thinking about the long journey ahead. It will get a bit easier when I start seeing results, but at the moment I am still setting the baseline :(

All your walking is wonderful! Makes me want to get back to it. It really is the most perfect exercise.

Yes, Lady M., it really is.  I know many consider it a bare minimum but for me...it's something I want to do for the rest of my life.

Day10 done. Caught a bad flu.... Makes me wonder if it was triggered by cutting out fruit (vitamin C), dried fruit (iron), cacao (lots of trace minerals) or nuts and seeds (zinc)..... Or was I just in the wrong place at the wrong time... Hard to believe that a diet of meat, vegetables, fish, eggs and good fat isn't enough to support a healthy immune system so maybe it was just time for my antibodies to need a reset... I haven't had more than a sniffle for two years!

Thanks for the advice PP. just so happens I had snow peas for dinner last night. I am too squeamish to eat organ meats :( I was vegetarian for 16 years and I now enjoy sucking on bones with relish, but despite growing up in a household of tripe, liver, potted tongue, ox hearts, lambs fry etc (or because?) these foods are beyond my capability.

My fever broke last night so hopefully I am on the mend today.

I had my ten day offroading today of a small dish of blueberries with coconut cream for breakfast, after my chicken, tomato and avocado. Plus cacao in hot water.

All ready for the next ten days now.

So sorry you were sick, but it sounds like you are starting to be on the mend.  When I had the stomach flu at Christmas, it took me about a month to really feel back to normal, miserable!

Thanks for explaining about your W30s and what your goals are for the next 100 days or so.  I like how you are breaking it up into 10 day increments.  Better than a week, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back to it tomorrow! No more noncompliant eating at parties, morning teas, birthdays. Junk food is now off the menu, as is coffee, nuts, fruit and coconut again.... Best way for me to feel heathy very quickly!

Going away for 5 days with friends which will be a challenge re alcohol and chips, on the other hand easy when I buy and prepare my compliant food to eat.. I know I can do it if I set my mind to it.

100 days till Christmas Eve btw

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that...   ;)

5 days away with friends sounds great!  Bringing food will definitely help keep you compliant.

How are you feeling?

Ha!

Not wonderful, my neck and back are out from all the coughing and not much exercise. I went for a sort lunchtime walk and really struggled yesterday.

But my plan for lots of sleep and healthy eating will help me recover. Thanks for asking!

Off to a good start with eggs from our chooks and broccolini and silverbeet from our garden plus some bacon for breakfast.

Lunch is some vegetable hash with egg and sweet potato I made a few days ago.

Dinner will be leftover pork carnitas and veg for me while the family polish off last nights Thai takeaway.

I will try the lunchtime walk again today... Hoping it helps clear the wheezing at the bottom of my lungs!

Rain and meetings sabotaged my walk.

Was tempted by a white chocolate freddo frog but subbed for a can of tuna instead...phew. Went to make myself an instant coffee to kill my withdrawal headache and automatically made tea instead... Double phew.

Had some nuts and cocoa with the last of my coconut milk after dinner... Not ideal but not devastating either.

Satisfaction rating for the day...80%... Aiming for 100% which will require no nuts, cocoa/coffee or fruit and some exercise.

Made a big pot of pumpkin and zucchini soup to take with me, I also have 2 lbs turkey mince, 3 cans of tuna plus eggs and bacon and vegetables and steak so good to go.

I might be offline for 5 days but hope to have a good report for Sunday.

Keep well and happy everyone.

Great trip! Very relaxing being in a different environment. Hit the alcohol a bit hard and ate quite a bit of off plan food. On the plus side I managed to start walking again and even attempted a 15 minute run before my lungs told me they had had enough. It's taken me 3 weeks to get over this cold. This week I ate badly due to cravings but now that AF is here I don't feel like eating at all. So I decided to use that to my advantage and kick off my return to better eating with a fast day, made easier by 1. being at the Royal Melbourne show with the family all day walking around lots and 2. not wanting to eat the show crap or bother with bringing my own. Also made it easy to not succumb to buying show bags as the worst thing is when you eat crap after intentionally fasting! So wins all round.

Now to catch up with all your posts.....

Day 2

M1

Half a sour mango; carrot, potato and pumpkin soup with an egg drop, coffee with CM, half glass OJ.

I plan to follow the template but wanted my breakfast to be small after yesterday's rest.

7km walk on a nice sunny spring day

M2

Lamb fillet, a cup of salad leaves, half a cooked tomato, half a cup of cucumber and 8 olives

Mini strength workout

M3

Raw carrot, baked potato, pumpkin and broccoli and a fist of pork... Was slow cooked but hubby bought a different cut and it didnt work well, not enough fat :(. Have sliced some or salads and chopped some for soup so not wasted at least. Lemon juice cubes in hot water.

Was intending to have berries with CM but feeling nicely full so will listen to my tummy for a change!

4-5 cups of tea from 2 tea bags throughout the day plus 4? cups of water.

Archived