Post30 troubles

firecook1

I am at the end of my first 30 - and learned so much about myself during the process. Have done lots of reading about the challenge - been very compliant then entire time. The biggest change I experienced was my lack of desire for sugary treats and breads. Over all, the experience was pretty easy for me. I was never hungry, and I limited my social engagements to just 3 meals out in the entire time. So overall, my Whole30 challenge was a success!

But here is something that really bothers me - my stomach aches! I feel like I have a lot of 'trapped gas' most of the time. Prior to Whole30 I had this same problem - but Whole30 seems to have exacerbated the issue. to make matters worse - on my first post30 day, I introduced too many foods, in tiny quantities - I had a little piece of a turkish dish that was made from phyllo, butter and feta cheese. and some wine.

I suffered greatly the next day.

So, I am wondering if there is something that I have been eating regularly on Whole30 that is the cause of my sensitivity. Eggs? Nuts? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

• Moderators

You could try eliminating foods for a week at a time to see if their absence correlates with an improvement in your stomach - eggs, nuts, whatever. You might find working with a Whole9 consultant or functional medicine practitioner useful as figuring out subtle things can be tricky and we can't really deal with complex things through the forum.

If you have unidentified GI issues like IBS (or worse) or a silent, undetected autoimmune (or pre-autoimmune) condition then most definitely eggs, nuts, coffee, citrus, nightshades, NSAID medications, too much fiber could all be keeping your intestines in a constant state of distress.

ISWF does have an IBS and autoimmune protocol, but does not go into much detail about who that might be good for- their approach to it (and the mods) is more if you are already diagnosed by a dr. In my own research in the paleo community I have found extensive lists of inflammatory conditions that benefit from an autoimmune protocol- everything from depression/anxiety to weight that won't come off to acne to ADHD to the more serious conditions like type 1 diabetes and hashimotos.

The general consensus is if you don't achieve results you are looking for with out of the box paleo then look at further eliminations via AIP. Your strong reaction to wheat, dairy, alcohol is a sure sign that your gut is not healed.

thank you both, Tom and Moluv, for your feedback. I had all sorts of med tests last year to rule our IBS and other GI troubles. The silent undetected autoimmune thing kind of scares me - but since I love eggs, and eat them almost daily - then perhaps that is the one thing I should eliminate now for a bit to see if i get better....this is going to be tough for me - I love my poached eggs in the am! but I think I would rather not have this rumbly tummy any more....will report back in a couple of weeks.

I had similar issues for about six months of Whole30 and paleo eating (sometimes really strict, sometimes not) but only really healed my gut recently by cutting out most nuts (have a few every now and then), coffee (sometimes still have half a cup of decaf), and taking probiotics/eating tons of sauerkraut/drinking kombucha.

I think it just takes a LOT longer than most people think to truly heal your gut and get a healthier gut :) hopefully yours doesn't take as long as mine did but keep making tweaks and be patient!

I had similar issues for about six months of Whole30 and paleo eating (sometimes really strict, sometimes not) but only really healed my gut recently by cutting out most nuts (have a few every now and then), coffee (sometimes still have half a cup of decaf), and taking probiotics/eating tons of sauerkraut/drinking kombucha.

I think it just takes a LOT longer than most people think to truly heal your gut and get a healthier gut :) hopefully yours doesn't take as long as mine did but keep making tweaks and be patient!

What Rachel said. Nuts first, they are a huge irritant. Nuts + water = glue to a tender stomach. Pretty gross analogy, I know. Probiotics/fermented food are a great asset too, but take it slowly. Try glass of kombucha a day?

Peppermint and ginger tea are known to help digestion. And of course all time favorite bone broth. It heals gut lining beautifully.

Nadia B - can you give more specifics on fermented food? Im thinking soy products - but I have not re-introduced those yet - I havent missed them really, so I was going to stay away longer.....kombucha - have not tried that - just saw it in a store and maybe I should have a go at that . Some one I know recommended Aloe Juice - any thoughts there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Fermented foods as super healers do not include soy. I think Nadia was referring to fermented veggies, especially. Think sauerkraut. Body Ecology and Donna Gates turned me on to the notion, and since I started making and eating them, my gut issues have improved immensely. Best of luck to you!

Archived