Planning ahead for pushback

I just found out that I'll most likely be spending (meal) time with my family next week - the last week of my W30. I'm not really close to them, and I just try to not make waves when I see them. Well, I guess that's not going to be an option anymore if I have to pass on dinner. I have no hope that there will be an acceptable food option. I still have vivid memories of eating the *worst* spaghetti ever at my sister-in-law's house. I politely said nothing about it then, after the meal, she said, "That tasted a little off. I think I used too many bouillon cubes." Bouillion cubes?!?

Adding to the awkwardness is the reason we're all getting together. My brother is battling cancer. His cancer is actually what spurred me to finally take charge of my eating. I don't want to have a conversation in which I imply that they're choosing to eat unhealthy food. I worry that it will sound like I'm saying the cancer is their fault.

"I'm really sorry, my doctor put me on this 30 day food elimination program and I have to follow it or I'll have to start all over -- and if I told you about it, you'd KNOW why I don't want to start over".

White lies: your friend.

"Elimination diet" is a good one, but even simply "I don't really have much of an appetite right now." wouldn't stand out at all in your context.

From my own experience people aren't likely to be paying attention to what you're eating.

Maureen I feel for you, that's not an easy situation and you're so right, you're there to support your brother not get into a big discussion about diet and healthy eating. If you really don't want to mention diet at all, a white lie that's worked for me in the past is to say that I think I must have eaten something that was off, I've got an upset stomach and can't really face food at the moment. People tend to accept that without too many questions. Good luck and best wishes to your brother.

Bouillon cubes? In pasta? Whaaaaaaaat?

Anyway, can you offer to help cook or something to make sure there's a compliant option? Or just stock up on cans of sardines/tuna/whatever and pick at your food under the pretense of being "not hungry" before high-tailing it off to eat your real dinner later?

Maureen I feel for you, that's not an easy situation and you're so right, you're there to support your brother not get into a big discussion about diet and healthy eating. If you really don't want to mention diet at all, a white lie that's worked for me in the past is to say that I think I must have eaten something that was off, I've got an upset stomach and can't really face food at the moment. People tend to accept that without too many questions. Good luck and best wishes to your brother.

True, although if you go with that one then you have to hide that you're eating at all, which might be inconvenient!

True, although if you go with that one then you have to hide that you're eating at all, which might be inconvenient!

Nah - I'm past master at that game ;) you just say "I know it sounds weird but the only thing I can face eating just now without feeling sick is............ Weird huh?" Honestly, it works - most people agree it's totally weird but I've even had some suggest reasons for why I'm ok with whatever it is I've said I can eat :) I just nod and go along with it.

Now note I'm not actually encouraging people to lie but there are times when the truth will get you nothing but an argument or hurt feelings so I go for what I consider to be the lesser of two evils ;)

Elimination diet has always been my best answer, especially because it is TRUE. You are eliminating things that you think you might react to, and you will reintroduce some of them systematically at the end of the 30 days. You don't really have to mention the dr except vaguely. "I talked to my dr about it...and this is what I am doing..." People have been very receptive when I explain it like that, and they end up asking a lot of questions and getting really interested because *everyone* feels like crap one way or another and they all suspect it might be something they are eating.

Follow up: the evening went really well, food-wise. I was invited for 5:00. I let my mother know that I'd be late because "I'm in the middle of trying to figure out some food allergies, so I can't eat most things. I don't want to inconvenience (or offend) anyone with my weird restrictions."

Everyone was mostly done eating when I arrived, but the food was still there, set out buffet style, when I arrived. Mostaccioli, pasta salad, italian beef sandwiches, et. al. Fortunately for me, there was a veggie tray and a fresh fruit tray. I'd eaten, so I wasn't really hungry but I ate some fruit and veg. Nobody seemed to care that I was just drinking water. We're a big social-drinking family, but I abstained when I was younger and people probably just assumed I was still a teetotaler.

The hostess pushed cake on me a little bit ("But it's from Portillo's!"), but enough people were passing on cake that it didn't matter.

The real challenge was this:

smcrunchie.jpg

My cousin from Ireland brought fun size bars of one of my favorite childhood treats. I took one for later. I'm only human.

Archived