Hello. So this is my third round of whole 30. Been pretty much paleo since March of this year. I've only messesd up no more than 4 days since then. As of today, I'm on day 17 since I started over. I've been doing paleo along with the autoimmune protocol. As of yesterday, I've also started the low fodmap diet because I really believe certain foods such as apples and cabbage give me problems. Apples burn my stomach and cabbage gives me bloating and diarrhea. I've researched acne online and a gentleman named Chris Kresser stated that what he usually has his clients do to try and help their acne is not only paleo, but following a low fodmaps diet as well as eliminating eggs and nuts. He did a podcast about it and was pretty thorough in it. You can read it here:

http://chriskresser.com/naturally-get-rid-of-acne-by-fixing-your-gut

I'm wondering if any of you have tried this as a last resort and have had success with it? I'm determined to find the cure for my acne! If it takes eating paleo/aip AND low fodmaps to do it, then so be it!

So for not too bad. I decided to start drinking grassfed homemade beef broth the other day, and man was I soooo sleepy! I stopped it last night and I feel normal again! I might try beef stock instead. Was considering trying the GAPS diet as well. However, since I'm trying to gain muscle as well, I'm not sure how I feel about cutting out my sweet potatoes. . As far as acne goes, I had a minor breakout again. My bowel movements are less often again and I'm not sure why. Could be the broth, idk.. but that's what's been going on so far:/

I pretty much eat gaps already besides the sweet potatoes. I do get kind of belchy after I eat them, so maybe GAPS isn't a terrible idea and I can start making bone STOCK instead of broth. Ill still remain paleo though and low fodmaps and aip, so no reintroducing foods that aren't allowed. I'm very determined haha But I'm also very determined to gain muscle! Is it possible to gain muscle with so little carbs?

I read an article that I found here from Dallas Hartwig.  He wrote about gaining mass.  You'd have to read it, but, loosely put, the conclusion was to eat.  Here is a link about the article: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/clean-mass-gain-a-case-study/

What kind of workouts are you doing and what are you eating pre and post WO?

Can you tell me about the GAPS diet?  I think I may be all set for now, but I am always interested in learning.

Oh, and did you get your answer about the IBS protocol?

Nicole, I am also doing the AI no FODMAPS  while on W30. I love Chris Kresser! I'm not sure why bone broth would make you sleepy, unless you are sleep deprived and your body  needs the rest.  I'm not sure what the difference is between broth and stock though.

As far as acne goes, it may take awhile before you see a huge difference. You may have to expel all the toxins from bad foods before it can get better. Your hormones may be out of whack too. Also, don't ignore the topical treatments, keep your face clean, a good glycolic toner can do wonders and don't get too much sun (can spur acne). I don't have bad acne, but do get cystic acne occasionally. I have to say that since being Paleo, I haven't had any.

Nicole Lynn JenningsToday, 03:38 PM

I will respond to everyone once I get off of work tonight. But I just wanted to do a little update. I have been pretty constipated the past week or so. According to the gaps dietif you're experiencing constipation, thendrink some carrot juice in the morning. Well, I did along with a tsp of cod liver oil. Then for lunch, with my meal, I had some cooked carrots. Before bed, I snacked on some raw carrots. Well, in the middle of the night, I woke up with terrible stomach cramps. I had to get up and go use the restroom. I had horrible diarrhea, along with what seemed like some clear liquid. It was disgusting! And I felt extremely nauseous and like I was going to faint. I felt so strange I seriously just wanted to die! Lol . Sorry to be so descriptive, but I feel like I just took a serious step back.

Just an update. Only doing AIP and low fodmaps. My digestion is still messed up and I'm still breaking out. Its like I don't use the restroom for a couple of days and then when I do, its diarrhea. Not sure what's going on with my body. I feel so hopeless! Ughhhh!

My typical day looks like this:

Chicken thighs with bok choy and maybe some olive oil. Or lean ground beef with bok choy and maybe some olive oil. The only seasoning I use is sea salt and ginger. I eat these 2-4 Times a day. That's it. I drink lots of ginger and chamomile tea as well. I'm taking 2 tbsp of cod liver oil. I try to drink at least 8 glasses of water as well. Nothing is changing. What do I do? Would digestive enzymes help?

Sounds like the classic IBS cycle. Slow digestion then FAST, then slow again. So frustrating.

I think HCL and Enzymes could help. If you are already avoiding FODMAPS and are still having issues, there may be something else at play here. You may need to be tested for parasites or an infection in your gut.

You didn't mention magnesium.  It may break that blockage before it starts and prevent the slow down that then leads to the speedy breakthrough.  Maybe.  I have no idea but I tried it and it seemed to help.

I am pretty sure you've read this one too, butbasically with all the supplements you are listing you supposedly will fix issues listed here http://chriskresser.com/paleo-diet-challenges-solutions-ii-its-all-about-the-gut

I've been taking betaine with little success, aplecider vinegar is good help too. Probiotics not yet, I eat fermented food but haven't started probiotics yet. I might also look into PREbiotics.

Ufff frustrating puzzle.

Hi guys,

I started eating paleo about two months ago because I'm on a mission to try and clear my adult hormonal (mostly cystic) acne. I have noticed a difference, nothing drastic, but I'm not surprised as I have a feeling my issues will take more than a couple of months to rectify. But I have noticed a reduction in inflammation of the acne I've been getting. It also seems to go away quicker than it used to.

That aside, I haven't been following the low-FODMAP diet but I'm definitely considering it, as the foods that seem to be on the list to avoid are foods that generally aggravate my stomach. And I'm sure my gut issues contribute to my skin trouble.

Nicole, I know you've been eating paleo for much longer than I have, but I just wanted to say that I had issues re: constipation in the first month of going on the paleo diet, but as soon as I started supplementing with Betaine HCl (with pepsin) my gut has been processing things really well, and I just feel like my body is unlocking the nutrients from my food more effectively than it ever has before. And as a result my skin seems to be healing faster.

I think the HCl is better than usual digestive enzymes because it helps your body to produce its own HCl, whereas your body can become reliant on enzymes (I know from having used them in the past, as soon as I stopped taking them my body just couldn't break anything down). Like you mentioned, ACV is also super duper for me to help the gut get things digested.

Just a thought  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I started eating paleo about two months ago because I'm on a mission to try and clear my adult hormonal (mostly cystic) acne. I have noticed a difference, nothing drastic, but I'm not surprised as I have a feeling my issues will take more than a couple of months to rectify. But I have noticed a reduction in inflammation of the acne I've been getting. It also seems to go away quicker than it used to.

That aside, I haven't been following the low-FODMAP diet but I'm definitely considering it, as the foods that seem to be on the list to avoid are foods that generally aggravate my stomach. And I'm sure my gut issues contribute to my skin trouble.

Nicole, I know you've been eating paleo for much longer than I have, but I just wanted to say that I had issues re: constipation icomplete first month of going on the paleo diet, but as soon as I started supplementing with Betaine HCl (with pepsin) my gut has been processing things really well, and I just feel like my body is unlocking the nutrients from my food more effectively than it ever has before. And as a result my skin seems to be healing faster.

I think the HCl is better than usual digestive enzymes because it helps your body to produce its own HCl, whereas your body can become reliant on enzymes (I know from having used them in the past, as soon as I stopped taking them my body j. ett couldn't break anything down). Like you mentioned, ACV is also super duper for me to help the gut get things digested.

Just a thought :)

I've considered hc1 tablets but I heard acv does pretty much the same thing and its much cheaper! Maybe I'm wrong though!

However, I just wanted to do a little update. I've completely cut out any higher gi carbs, even sweet potatoes and fruits and my skin is getting beautiful! I still get tiny zits here and there, but nothing compared to what I was getting. Ive also been taking probiotics and I've started eating foods not allowed on the low fodmaps diet and my skin is still improving. I started taking triphala and physillium husk to help with my bowel movements and I seem to be improving in that as well. As I was resesrching around, I was lead to acne.org's website and there are numerous success stories of people curing their acne with a really low carb diet as well! I got so many compliments on how my skin is improving, yesterday! As of right now, I'm only concerned about the scarring. Its still probably too early to tell. Im not going to feel completey confident about this until my skin is clear for at least a couple of weeks! I also started drinking a homemade green juice made with cucumber, romaine lettuce, spinach, kale and a little beet yesterday. I feel that since my digestion is all messed up, my body is feeding whatever yeast might be present, which is causing my bowels to be irregular, which in turn is causing me to show inflammation, through my skin. I really do believe in the gut/skin connection. As of now, im pretty happy with the way things are coming along. Its still too early to tell. Ill post an update next week!:)

Wow, I'm actually really interested in this because acne is a problem for me as well as bloating and other intestinal issues and while reading over the low fodmap food list I notice that ALL of the foods I LOVE that seem to make me feel weighed down and gross but taste fabulous are in the avoidable list. It makes sense. Please do update us...  :)

Archived