Am I eating too much?

I feel like I must be eating too much.  I can't possibly lose weight (even though I know that's not my primary goal, it's my secondary!) eating as much as I am.

like for dinner, I've been cooking three things...usually a salad, and a side veggie, and a main (meat) recipe.  Using the recipes in the Whole30 book.  It just seems like a lot of food.

i don't want to get to the end of the 30 days and get on a scale that shows a gain.

i have not deviated from the diet...on Day 12.

• Moderators

It would be difficult for us to give you directed advice on your meals without some detail.  Feel free to list out what you've been eating for the last few days including portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein and fat and fluid intake.

Like Sunday night I made the leg of lamb recipe, mashed broccoli/cauliflower, and a salad.  Then I'll have some leftovers for breakfast, but with some canned tuna instead of lamb .  Lunch ...salad with half a sweet potato (with some ghee), canned tuna and some mayo (maybe two tsp).  Dinner is the shrimp pesto and grilled balsamic veggies and pineapple.  Which is two recipes, but sometimes I'm adding a third recipe of salad...

breakfast (out) of omelet with veggies and ham bits, root veggies and a side of fruit.

• Administrators

Have you seen the meal template? It calls for 1-2 palms of protein, 1-2 servings of fat and then to FILL your plate with vegetables. 

Are your meals lasting you 4-5 hours before you're thinking about eating again? Are you snacking between meals? How's your energy? Your sleep? Your mood?

The meal template is lnked in my signature below.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Deborah Sue said:

Ok....I will closely track my intake tonight and tomorrow and follow up with more details.  I'm thinking I'm eating too much protein.

but, for example, can I eat a lot (two cups) of mashed cauliflower broccoli?

Sure, that's a good amount of non starchy veggies to eat at a meal!

• Moderators

Hey you again :)

No clue what 5oz is in relation to your own palm size (thickness x length x width).  How much is a 'bunch' of veggies?  Is it filling your plate?  Do you have more fruit than veggies?  Where's the fat?  (don't count cooking fat, much of it stays in the pan or is divided up by serving size... ) Are you using the romesco sauce for fat?  If so, you'd need quite a lot of it because from what I can tell it's mostly red pepper...

Hmmmm.....I thought 5 oz would be specific, but I think it probably was exactly the mass of my palm.  And yes, the veggies filled my plate, and I had also grilled a fresh pineapple, and the pineapple piece was probably the mass of my palm also.  Veggies were asparagus, zucchini, red and green peppers, onion...and the half of a sweet potato.  And yes, I thought the romesco sauce would have some fat, as would the olive oil the veggies were coated in to grill.

i just don't get the logic behind the fat being so necessary when you're eating a rich fatty meat like lamb.

and can I eat this exact meal for lunch or breakfast?

I hate to ask so many freaking questions, but I want to get this right.  To my knowledge I have not gone off the plan at all, except today, adding a bit of half and half to my undrinkable coffee.  There was no almond milk (which stinks anyway and is a lousy substitute).

• Moderators

You can eat that meal for lunch or breakfast. (If you get tired of your leftovers, you can send them this way, I'll help with that. :D)

Fat is important because it helps keep you satisfied between meals, it's good for brain health, it helps your body to use fat soluble vitamins like vitamin d and e. Is there enough fat in lamb without adding more? Maybe. But it won't hurt you to add a little more on top of that. The goal with your meals is to have them keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time. If they're doing that, then you've got everything right. If you're hungry after two or three hours, you're not eating enough. If you're consistently going 6-8 hours without feeling hungry, you might be having a little much and might need to cut back a little bit. Also keep in mind as you go through the month that you may think you've got your portions worked out, and then hit a day or a week when you're hungrier than normal. That is okay, and it is okay to eat more if you need to. Focus on protein, fat, and vegetables, eat as much as you need to eat to be satisfied.

I do know that this sounds like a lot of food, especially if you come from a background of calorie counting and restriction. But the focus on Whole30 is making sure that you nourish your body with plenty of good, nutrient-dense foods that make you healthier. Try not to even think about weight loss for the rest of the month. Focus on NSVs (non-scale victories) like if you're sleeping better, feeling calmer, having energy to do the things you need to do -- here's a whole printable list for you to check off as you go through the month, and of course add any extra ones that you notice as well.

Unfortunately, if you had half & half, you went off plan. Period. Any off plan, even a little bit, is off plan. How you react to that is totally up to you -- read through this article and decide how you're going to proceed.

Wow....start "over" because of a tablespoon of half and half?  Well I'm certainly going to keep going, and will just bring almond milk with me if I need to.  I will not knowingly be going off plan again, that's for sure.  Geez.  You're harsh.

I definitely feel satisfied for 4-5 hours after eating.

However, my energy level always stinks.  And my sleep is lousy.  I'm basically very health conscious and am usually eating pretty healthily.  But I needed a serious health jolt, as I've put on about ten pounds in the last five years, and just turned 60.  I actually had cut out caffeine totally for about a month and felt better doing that.  But I missed the coffee, so I'm drinking like half caf/half decaf....no more than a cup, two at the most. In the morning, and not after about 2pm.  But that almond milk is vile.  And I feel like a could fall asleep every day around 4.  And I wake up a ton during the night, although I always fall back to sleep.

but with all this rambling about my interesting life, I definitely am feeling better, and healthier.

i stopped counting calories years ago.

also, is it okay to have almond butter as a snack?

and use ketchup freely if it has no sugar ?

and....I'm going to be asking about everything until I feel totally confident I'm doing this right!

thanks so much for taking the time to answer me.

• Moderators

She's not harsh, those are the rules.  There never used to be an article to reference about starting over; it used to be if you went off plan, you were done and had to start over.  Maybe that tiny amount of half and half seems inconsequential to you but to your gut, dairy is dairy and whether we want it to be true or not, the reset starts again after you've consumed the inflammatory food.  That said, there are no Whole30 police and you're free to do what you like with the information that we provide, but it's not because we're harsh or buzz killers or no-fun-nancies, it's because we're asked to support and identify the rules to people on this forum.

As far as almond butter for a snack?  Not your best choice.  Nuts and their butters are meant to be limited (such as a closed handful every other day for whole nuts).  If you need to eat because you're hungry between meals, we recommend that you eat protein and fat and then make the necessary adjustments to your subsequent meals to avoid needing to eat between meals.  IF you want a 'snack' because you're used to snacking at a certain time or you're bored, loney, sad etc... then eating is not going to be the answer there.

Yes, you can use ketchup freely if all ingredients are compliant.  Check the sneaky sugars list linked in my signature because compliant commercially available ketchup may be extremely hard to find.

Also, I agree with you, almond milk warmed up and in coffee is the definition of disgusting... try coconut milk, it doesn't have that weird acrid tone when it's heated.

coconut milk, the stuff that you buy from a store with the words 'coconut milk' on the container.  read the ingredients list, as not all coconut milk created equal.  make sure it's compliant.  there are only a few which have just one ingredient (coconuts).  If you buy a coconut, and crack it and pour the contents, that is coconut water - not coconut milk.  you can try that in your coffee if you want.  I wouldn't.  when on W30, I usually just ditch the additives and drink plain black coffee.

[edit to add] have you read 'it starts with food'?  if you're doing a reset anyway, it might be worth reading that book, whilst you prepare your cupboards, groceries etc for when you start again.  it's a very good book for explaining the whys and wherefores.

If you don't like black coffee, the stop trying to force yourself to like coffee with almond milk or coconut milk or whatever. Maybe try tea instead? Or cold-brewed iced coffee, which I find to have a less acidic and slightly sweeter flavor even black. 

Are you exercising? Particularly stressed about anything other than the food situation? 

Thanks for all this help.

im now trying a cold brewed iced coffee (with some almond milk) which is a nice twist.

and to Crastney....no I haven't read IT STARTS WITH FOOD...I'll do that next.

im kind of obsessed with all this because I know it's good for me.

and I'm not doing enough sweaty aerobics.  Personal trainer twice a week, spin class once, Pilates class...but I need more sweat.

on my way into NYC for the day.  For meals out I will look for a healthy place, or stick to grilled chicken or fish and veggies.

Archived