Best way to cook spaghetti squash

I do it 2 ways. One of which is an hour in the over at 350, cut in half, scooped out. Scooped out side down in about a half inch of water.

The other way (which I use 95% of the time) is in the microwave. Depending on the size, scooped out size down, for anywhere from 8-14 minutes. I find if you put too much water in the bottom, it gets soggy. That's the key. Just enough to steam it, but not too much. Tough balance. Although i think I've figured it out, I still get watery spaghetti squash from time to time. Still tastes Delish though!

If you have access to a pressure cooker, I've found that this the absolute best way (and I've tried roasting, microwaving, etc.). Here is a link with instructions:

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/2012/11/spaghetti-squash/

I don't have a basket for mine, so I just sort of wedge the two halves in there slightly above the water and it works well. I love this method because it is soooo quick (roasting in the oven takes forever), and it doesn't get watery.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, it's not a bad investment for healthy eating in general. It cooks up veggies amazingly fast (some of the best ones I find are carrots and squash), plus it is awesome for making stews and roasts quicker than just simmering on the stove...the pressure tenderizes meat fast.

I adore cooking spaghetti squash in my slow cooker. Mine is oval so it works great. I dont do a thing to it. I just pop it in whole. 4 hours on high and let it cool just a few minutes for easier handling. They are so much easier to cut after they are cooked.

I adore cooking spaghetti squash in my slow cooker. Mine is oval so it works great. I dont do a thing to it. I just pop it in whole. 4 hours on high and let it cool just a few minutes for easier handling. They are so much easier to cut after they are cooked.

Now this is something I've not heard of before! I wonder if my squash will fit in mine...I might be trying this today. This is all you have to do to it? No further cooking afterwards?

Now this is something I've not heard of before! I wonder if my squash will fit in mine...I might be trying this today. This is all you have to do to it? No further cooking afterwards?

Nope, it is ready to go after the 4 hours. You do have to find a medium size squash. The huge ones wont fit in my slow cooker.

Is it easy to separate the seeds and junk from the real deal? I've never done a spaghetti squash before.

Does this work for other squash (Butternut?) as well?

My big problem with squash is getting them cut open to roast.

Yes the seeds are easy to scoop out and then you can remove the shreds of squash really easily with a fork. I meant to try butternut squash but I dont think I ever did. I have been cutting it into squares and skin and all and roasting it. I have one sitting in my kitchen. Maybe I will stick it in my slow cooker and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

I just stuck my butternut in mine. :)

How about salt, pepper and ghee? Or a coconut curry sauce?

WF or maybe its New Seasons has fresh clams on sale right now. I was thinking about spag squash with clams for sunday dinner.

I think I'll do the seasoning and ghee for tonight as that will go better with the mustard glazed chicken thighs. Recipe for coconut curry sauce? Might do that tomorrow with a different meat. Sounds like it would be good with ground beef actually. Mmmmm.

Maybe a few chili flakes to spunk it up a little?

I swear I make curry a little different each time. My most recent is a version of one that Derval gave me. Coconut lamb and eggplant curry. I have made it with ground beef too. Saute onions in whatever fat. I have been using gf beef tallow or duckfat from fatworks lately. If using curry spices add them to the onions. I do curry, garlic powder, cumin and coriander. Then I add cubed eggplant and ground beef. When the ground beef is no longer pink, I add a bunch of mushrooms. Lately I have been using wild mushrooms along with the baby portabellas. Then add coconut milk. Let it bubble for a bit and taste for seasonings. If I use curry paste, I add it right before the cm. I often add kale and other veggies but I cut back if serving it over spag squash.

Yes the cool thing about curries is that they are so flexible.

My butternut squash in the slow cooker worked well. I set it for 4 hours on low but it was ready in 3 hours. Its a great way to do it if you just want to scoop it out and mush it. I actually wanted it in cubes for a soup I made out of Nomnoms chicken and gravy leftovers. It was just a little tricky to get the peel off after it was cooked.

That's how I do it. Or I add a little water, or cook lower longer. But generally, love the slow poker and I will never slice another raw winter squash again.

OP remember if you are looking at pics of food photography you may be seeing something that looks good for a pic, but not good to eat i.e. an undercooked squash. Mine never quite looks like the photos either but man is it ever tasty.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE spaghetti squash - but I always did the huge ones, in the oven, for our family of 7.

Now, we are me and him...and often, just me!

I am kicking myself for no longer having my HUGE oval slowcooker! But, I am looking forward to trying it in the regular one.

I want to know how the curry sauce turned out....because I always made spaghetti, and that might get old!

Yes the cool thing about curries is that they are so flexible.

My butternut squash in the slow cooker worked well. I set it for 4 hours on low but it was ready in 3 hours. Its a great way to do it if you just want to scoop it out and mush it. I actually wanted it in cubes for a soup I made out of Nomnoms chicken and gravy leftovers. It was just a little tricky to get the peel off after it was cooked.

Awesome to know the butternut turned out well! I always peel mine when I want to cube it which makes it easier to chop up raw, but I wanted to have some mushed to try some recipes I pinned.

My spaghetti squash was PERFECT! Thanks so much! I'm tempted to try my acorn squash this way as well. Probably only 2 hours for that as it is much smaller?

Awesome to know the butternut turned out well! I always peel mine when I want to cube it which makes it easier to chop up raw, but I wanted to have some mushed to try some recipes I pinned.

My spaghetti squash was PERFECT! Thanks so much! I'm tempted to try my acorn squash this way as well. Probably only 2 hours for that as it is much smaller?

You know what I recently discovered about butternut squash? Peeling is not necessary depending on what you are doing with it. For soups or stews, I peel it. For roasted veggies, I dont. It's slightly chewy. Sort of like eggplant skin which I love.

I think acorn may take longer than butternut. It seems harder to me? I could be wrong.

Archived