Day 1 - So excited! Calling other Sugarholics

LindaLee

My forum stalker is at it again.  lol

I just wish we could share information without being constantly reprimanded by non-moderators/administrators.   Nit picking drives me crazy.

Where did you get nitpicked? On your log?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 22. Started out so nicely...lovely, cool morning, headed to the farmer's market, trying to figure out what to do about my radio...

Had a great breakfast of bacon and hardboiled eggs mashed up with mayo and mustard, and some green apple. My tea tastes so much better when I make it home - must be the boiling water versus however hot it is at work.

Had a ton of errands to run - went to the farmer's market, to my box to register and pay for our new Paleo challenge, the audio shop to see if I can add my Sirius radio to my stereo without too much trouble (I can), the jewelry store to pick up my birthday present from my husband:

post-1961-0-10321100-1371343864_thumb.jp

Then the produce stand, the evil Walmart, the health food store, the meat market, and whew! Home. By this time I was just...grumpy. It had heated up, but honestly that wasn't it. The problem is this:

I FEEL FAT. 

And after 22 days...I don't expect to feel super skinny and ripped, but I also don't expect to feel fat. I mean seriously! 

Humph. Here's what I had for lunch:

post-1961-0-44627900-1371344006_thumb.jp

This is a "sausage" I make with ground turkey, water, sage, thyme, and salt. Quite tasty. The salad is spinach and tomatoes. I needed to have my avocado, and I don't really like them on their own, so I mixed it together with a tablespoon of Paleo mayo. Quite tasty, actually. And two mandarin oranges.

Made a nice meatloaf for my husband and some fresh Paleo mayo. Then I realized we needed to scramble around and get ready for church! I sing about every other Sunday, but the wonderful church secretary was sick this week and wasn't able to send me the liturgy for this week. So I had no idea what I was supposed to sing for hymns, and I didn't get to practice the responsorial Psalm...I was anxious! And it's always fun <ha> getting my husband ready to go, LOL! Anyway, I was a bit of a basket case until we got there and I saw the songs were old favorites.

Still felt fat, though, while I was getting dressed. Grrrrr....

We made it home. I'm doing laundry, making a list of what I need to cook tomorrow...

Dinner:

Turkey sausage with Paleo mayo

Tomatoes and baby carrots

Olives

Two mandarins

Hope I'm feeling better tomorrow...

LindaLee,

I felt FAT for the first month or so.  I'm not 100% sure why, but pretty sure it was portions and just an over eating of meat and nuts.  Too much protein for me.  I seem to do much better with some vegetarian days tossed in... right now I'm operating at about a 4 day meat/3 day vegetarian week and I feel so much better.  

I've cut my work outs to 4 days/week due to my work schedule.  I eat less when I'm not doing so much cardio, too.

LindaLee,

I felt FAT for the first month or so.  I'm not 100% sure why, but pretty sure it was portions and just an over eating of meat and nuts.  Too much protein for me.  I seem to do much better with some vegetarian days tossed in... right now I'm operating at about a 4 day meat/3 day vegetarian week and I feel so much better.  

I've cut my work outs to 4 days/week due to my work schedule.  I eat less when I'm not doing so much cardio, too.

I very rarely eat nuts...though Wednesday and Thursday I did, so maybe that's it...

Day 23. Feeling extremely discouraged after yesterday. But I'm not giving up. I'm hoping this is the result of ice cream months and that it will eventually resolve. Looked through ISWF today for some tips. Still very ambivalent about what to do with my starchy carbs - increase because of my workouts, or decrease because my body does not seem to have hit fat-burning yet. 

Sigh.

ANYway.

Breakfast today:

Had a palm-sized (maybe 5-6 ounces) of my turkey "sausage"

Surrounded that with tomatoes and carrots

Added 1/2 cup strawberries

Handful of olives

Tea

Feeling pretty satisfied right now. Lots of cooking and stuff on the agenda. More later...

Here are my goals for this week:

SLEEP HYGIENE: Still tweaking this one, which may be adding to my problems. I need to eat as soon as I get home from Crossfit/work, rather than waiting until I've done dishes, showered, etc. I think I'm eating too close to bedtime.

No sweet potatoes for breakfast

Eat slowly

Leave bacon out this week

Avocado for lunch and breakfast (1/2 each meal, mix in with hash or whatever)

No coconut

Berries or green apples after lunch (1/2 serving)

No fruit at dinner

Eat dinner 2-3 hours before bedtime (no later than 6:30)

Wednesday may have chicken or tuna salad for lunch (since I don't go to Crossfit)

Meat and veggies breakfast and lunch

Fish and veggies for dinner

NO SNACKS

Crossfit Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

Back exercises

Fish oil and two Lurong Living essentials per day

Water, water, water

Seriously consider a vegetarian day or two in your week.  It really helps me.  I use avocado and ghee for the fats on those days and try to limit the nuts.

I don't think all of us are designed to eat so much meat.

Hi, Pam, appreciate the suggestion...i may try that, though it would to be a day I'm not working out. Can't imagine getting through a workout and having good recovery with no protein in my system. I just think it has to do with my starting point and being insulin resistant due to all the ice cream I was eating. Going to take a while to reset my clock, I think.

Did a lot of cooking today...

Beef and veggies, hard boiled eggs, lemon glazed chicken (mostly for my husband), made my salads.

Lunch: had some of the chicken, a salad with spinach, some Swiss chard from the farmers market, tomatoes, and cucumbers, with Paleo mayo. Sweet potato with Paleo mayo, and two small mandarins.

Enjoying some water now. :)

Day 24! 

Having some cravings today, mostly because we had another really tough WOD today, and I'd gotten into the habit of rewarding myself with ice cream after a difficult workout. And as the end gets closer, I can see myself being tempted to say, "That's good enough" and go off-rails. But I'm determined to make it through...and in fact, I am planning to go until July 4th. I'm not sure what I'll do that day...maybe just a glass of wine, maybe some ice cream...or maybe I'll just stay on plan until our Paleo challenge ends July 18th. That's what I really want to do...

Switched it up a little today...

Breakfast was beef and veggies (plus a half avocado), olives, and carrots.

Pre-workout: one hard boiled egg, don't know, might need two?

Crossfit today:

Warmup: 800 meter run

5 x planks @ 1 minute each - on numbers two and four, what our coach cruelly calls "mariachi" - mountain climber/grasshopper/pushup

3 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats

Wait...you mean that wasn't the WOD?? LOL

No skill work today, just the WOD, which was tough but not bad compared to Friday's:

4 rounds for time of:

10 burpees

20 kettlebell swings (25#)

200 meter run

Very humid when I went at lunchtime. My time was about 14:38 or 28, can't remember which. At any rate, just glad to have done it!

Post workout: salmon. I took the jicama out, but I'm going to put it back in.

Lunch:

Turkey apple hash :) with avocado

Salad with Paleo mayo

Green apple

Hungry when I got home so had some olives. I think I'm heading toward fat-adaption but my body is going there kicking and screaming.

Dinner:

Steak (yummy ribeye from US Wellness on the grill)

Sweet potato (also on the grill) with Paleo mayo - sooo yummy!

Olives

About 1/4 of a green apple

Have a horrendous tick bite on my left hipbone that has me swollen up. Will be soaking that with a hot compress and taking some Benadryl, then heading to bed somewhat early tonight.

Hi ho, hi ho, there's just 6 days to go until I finish my very first Whole30!!!

I blew it yesterday. I was overtired and unhappy about some person things so i resorted to what I knew best to comfort me:  cake and ice cream.  I should have eaten chocolate instead!  I would have enjoyed it more.

Not sure how I am going to restructure my Whole30.  I will start anew with the sugar but how to deal with the other restricted foods I don't know.  Soy and gluten can stay out forever as far as I am concerned.  

I hope everyone else is doing better!

Sounds like it was a rough time, Pam...hope today was a better day for you.

Got through Day 25...cravings galore. I think because I'm just plain hungry...it's hard to get this balance right! Just feeling very tired. Also could be related to the Benadryl I took last night to combat my tick bite.

Breakfast: beef and veggies, carrots, and olives, and tea :) Oh, half an avocado in the beef and veggies

Lunch: turkey apple hash with half an avocado, salad with Paleo mayo, and part of a green apple. I got full, but then later I was just tired and foggy.

Pre-workout: hard boiled egg

Crossfit:

Warmup: 1 mile run. Yep, that's right, 1 mile run. It wasn't that hot, but it is still kind of humid, though not as bad as it was yesterday before it rained. My legs actually didn't feel too bad. My time was 9 minutes - not too bad for a warmup mile.

Mobility: just some PVC passthroughs, bootstraps, and pigeon wing stretches.

WOD: I dubbed this "Man-Fran"

For time, 15-12-9

Man-makers: you do this with dumbbells. First a burpee on the dumbbells, then up to a squat clean, hen up from the squat to a thruster. Yes. HARD

Pullups: I'm working on my strict pullups so I did these with a really fat band, but still..

Short (less than 10 minutes), but intense

Post workout: salmon, jicama, and the rest of my apple

Talked to my coach, who advised me to increase my fat intake (especially before my workout) and maybe a few more starchy carbs. So I ran by the grocery store and picked up some more avocados, nuts, sweet potatoes, and berries.

Dinner:

Salmon

Sweet potato with Paleo mayo

Tomatoes

And an experiment: strawberries with some coconut cream

Still quite tired, so hoping a fat adjustment will help.

Oh, I've officially decided to make this a Whole55. That will take me through to July 18, which is when the gym's Paleo challenge ends. I'm starting to see results, though the Tiger Blood hasn't kicked in yet, so I think I need some more sugar-free time.

So I'm not quite halfway through ;)

I'm only on Day 2 but really pumped about W30!

I've been through enough to know that sugar is my CRACK! Ice cream is CRACK. Blue Bell Pecan Pralines and Cream is directly responsible for me losing my groove and gaining 40 lbs!

Well, that felt good, but it's not Blue Bell, it's me.

There is something about the book and this forum that makes me understand that, for those of us sensitive to it, sugar is our demon and there is just really nothing else to say about it! If I can stay off sugar, I am eating healthy, working out, taking care of my body in other ways.

When sugar ingratiates its way, temptingly and stealthily into my life, I am lost. Weight gain, bad skin, little or no exercise, and general malaise abounds.  The pants I gave away when I was thin are needed back. Trips to the mall to buy bigger and bigger clothes. 

There is no excuse. I know I can't do sugar. I don't drink (too much), I don't smoke, I don't drug, I don't yell at my students, I don't even have road rage. But sugar....I can't touch it and stay sane and healthy.

LOLOL...bikergranny, it's Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip for me. If we had Blue Bell here, though, I'd be ALL over it. Just plain vanilla with strawberries. Yummmmmm.

Ahem. Back to our Whole55.

Today, day 26.

Breakfast...beef and veggies with an entire avocado, carrots and olives, plus tea. 44 ounces of water before breakfast. :) that works really well.

Lunch: I was ravenous by the time lunch rolled around. Ready for my turkey apple hash, again with a whole avocado, plus salad and a banana. Decided to have a banana since it's the last one I'll have (except green tipped ones) until July 18th. Added some Primal Pac jerky for extra fat.

I wasn't going to go to Croasfit today - Wednesday is usually my chiropractor day - but the WOD today was one of our benchmark WODs for our Paleo challenge, so I was going to have to do it sometime. And it was a killer - Angie. And I hate doing killer WODs by myself. So I rescheduled the chiro for tomorrow, called my understanding husband, and assessed my Pre-workout food options. Fortunately they serve hard boiled eggs in our employee doing room, so I got two of those - one for before, one for after. Pre-workout, I had an egg and a handful of hazelnuts.

Hmmm. That extra fat really seemed to steady something in me. I was still anxious, but not as tired...maybe all these people hollering about healthy fat are onto something...

So...tonight Crossfit was:

Doubleunder practice...I got a few in.

Everett outside on the street, always fun

PVC stretches

Strength/skill:

11/4 front squats, 5 x 3 - at 40 pounds for me

WOD: Angie

100 pullups (for me, strict pullups with the biggest band)

100 pushups (knees for me, but we go up on our toes at the end)

100 Abmat situps (oh, I have butt rash)

100 squats - my legs felt like noodles after I was done

My time was 24:58. Last time it was 23:28, but I did jumping pullups, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Post-workout: egg white and dried organic mulberries from US Wellness

Weighed, measured, and took pics for our Paleo challenge

Came home and had bacon and meatloaf, a sweet potato with Paleo mayo, and raspberries

And now I'm in bed with an ice pack on my neck from the pullups, LOL

I feel great!!!!!!!!

Day 27...WOW. I thnk I'm going to make it!

Tired today, but that's because I took a Benadryl last night because of the tick bite. Not again tonight!

My usual breakfast...lunch of turkey apple hash with avocado and some jerky. Forgot my apple sp just skipped the fruit. Didn't mind.

Was hungry on e way home so had some almonds. Probably too many, but I need extra fat anyway, so no biggie. At least not for today, LOL.

Paleo meatloaf, sweet potato with Paleo mayo, and raspberries for dinner.

Watched Monarch of the Glen with my husband. Love that show! Now I am really tired and going to bed...

Don't want to give in so close to the first finish line...help me stay strong!!!!

You ARE going to make it!  Start preparing your exit speech... tell us how you felt on Day One vs how you feel on Day Thirty One.

I am happy about my journey, as I really think I've gained a hold over my sugar eating that I can maintain long term.  Although I still have not strung 30 consecutive days together, the past 60 days have taught me so much and given me insight to what I need to do to keep myself feeling good.

Sadly (you will appreciate this), I think I have a stress fracture in my metatarsal.  I've been wearing minimalist shoes for both work and working out which I think was a mistake.  I didn't slowly increase the hours in the shoes, which the first time caused some pain on the top of my foot (Vibram 5 fingers).  I didn't think using them for work was going to be the same type of stress, but I guess so.  Now I have to stay away from cardio for a week to see if it gets better.  Honestly, I hope it is a fracture, because my other option is a neuroma and I don't want that.

From one gym rat to another:  congratulations!

Well, I'd say the biggest thing I feel is "proud." I have to be honest and say I haven't seen huge changes to my body or my energy level just yet. But then again, it's 95 degrees in Missouri and I'm working out in a garage - a nice garage with a couple of big fans (one sounds like an airplane engine when the coach plugs it in) but nevertheless. It's hot. 

I slept exceedingly well last night. It took me a little while to fall asleep (darn you, Candy Crush Saga, interfering with my sleep hygiene again), but then I didn't open my eyes - not even to pee - until just before my alarm went off at 5. That was pretty cool, but I kinda wanted to stay asleep. I have to admit that my back is killing me after all those kettlebells on Tuesday. It's been one of those weeks with lots of hip action - today was squat cleans, and I took advantage of the strength practice to really work on popping my hips. 

My box started a Paleo challenge yesterday, and we get extra points for extra cardio - one point for running a mile or rowing 2K. I'm hoping that will help the pounds come off. I can't decide if nothing has really happened, or if I was just that much bigger at the beginning of this Whole30. At any rate, I'm hoping to see something more significant at the end of 55 days.

This is Day 28. Oh, I wanted chocolate. Then I wanted ice cream. I think it's because I didn't have my usual "one last time" treat before our challenge started. I think the first few days after my Whole30 is done will be tough. 

Nothing new in terms of food today...

Breakfast - beef and veggies with an avocado mixed in, carrots, and olives. Tea.

Pre-workout - egg and olives. Didn't quite carry me through the workout like the nuts did. Lesson learned.

Crossfit today:

800 meter run

3 rounds of 5 pullups (strict banded for me), 10 pushups, 15 squats (tough - my quads are sore after Angie Wednesday)

PVC mobility

Strength: 5 x 3 Squat cleans. I actually very quietly hit a new PR on these - I didn't have a one rep max, only multiples, so I used my top weight for the first round, then added five pounds. I still don't have a one rep max - well, maybe I do and I just wasn't looking for it in the right place. 

WOD: It was nice to have an AMRAP instead of something for time, though it was tough:

3 rounds of 4 minute AMRAP of:

Push press

Overhead lunges

Hang cleans

Obviously you use the same weight for all three, so my weight was super light because of the overhead lunges - 20 pounds. I finished 5 rounds plus 20 reps - got through the last set of overhead lunges, but just couldn't get to even one hang clean. It was just danged hot. Sweated like a pig. 

Went back to work...meh day. But it was Friday.

Post-workout: egg white and lots of jicama

Lunch:

Salad with paleo mayo, turkey apple hash with avocado and the egg yolk from post-workout egg :), jicama, and a green apple. And a little jerky.

After work, I went back to the gym to meet a friend and row 2K. It was nice to see her and chat, and the row went quickly. Then I thought, what the heck, and decided to run a mile too. That was short but tough in the humidity. Missouri summers are really tough on your speed and strength! Didn't have anything after this one, since all that was available was the apples my coach keeps at the box - and they weren't green, so they were off-limits!

Home now after a lovely shower. My poor husband realized that he probably left the basement door open at our cabin, so he had to go out there and see. Not sure what we'll have for dinner - the dear man picked up steaks and sweet potatoes, but we'll have them tomorrow night. 

I'm thinking it'll be the same as last night - meatloaf, sweet potato with paleo mayo, raspberries (I can have berries!) with coconut butter.

I get to sleep in tomorrow!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

You ARE going to make it!  Start preparing your exit speech... tell us how you felt on Day One vs how you feel on Day Thirty One.

I am happy about my journey, as I really think I've gained a hold over my sugar eating that I can maintain long term.  Although I still have not strung 30 consecutive days together, the past 60 days have taught me so much and given me insight to what I need to do to keep myself feeling good.

Sadly (you will appreciate this), I think I have a stress fracture in my metatarsal.  I've been wearing minimalist shoes for both work and working out which I think was a mistake.  I didn't slowly increase the hours in the shoes, which the first time caused some pain on the top of my foot (Vibram 5 fingers).  I didn't think using them for work was going to be the same type of stress, but I guess so.  Now I have to stay away from cardio for a week to see if it gets better.  Honestly, I hope it is a fracture, because my other option is a neuroma and I don't want that.

From one gym rat to another:  congratulations!

Pam - I am so sorry to hear about your fracture. A lot of people at my gym love those Vibrams and swear by them, but I'm kind of scared to, LOL. I did go from regular shoes to Sauconys that are better suited for forefoot running, which is what I do now. My coach showed us this and it's been miraculous for me - ran two two mile sets, then a five miler and a couple of 5ks and I no longer dread a WOD with significant running in it (though a WOD with running AND lots of reps gets me nervous).

(Just looked up neuroma online - ick. I hope that's not what it is, either.)

Day 29. 

I am both delighted and disappointed. And kind of anxious.

I am delighted that I have made it this far. I have never made it this far before. I'm not entirely sure what was different this time...honestly, it might be the very thing that I'm disappointed about - that I haven't seen the body differences that I have in the past. On the one hand, that has been rough for my mood and for my enthusiasm about my Whole30. In the past, after a couple of weeks I've noticed a significant difference, but not this time. I'll have a few days where I'll feel thinner and my clothes will fit better, and then - there it is again, with no change in my eating habits.

Thus my decision to extend this to a Whole55. My gym has a Paleo challenge until July 18th, and I've never made it through a whole challenge without cheating at least five times. So my next goal is to make it through this challenge, and especially the extra cardio portions of it.

Today...I'm kind of bummed because a lot of folks from the box went to what sounds like a relatively easy obstacle 5K. I didn't go because I didn't hear about it until the last minute. Plus my husband is leaving early tomorrow morning and I won't see him again until Friday. Sigh. So of course we had to have an argument - my fault - about something stupid. Sigh again.

Breakfast: Didn't have a lot in the fridge because today is my shopping day, so I had to improvise. I took some leftover greens (kale and Swiss chard), and mushrooms and sauteed them in a little olive oil and salt, then mixed them together with three eggs. Quite nice. Zapped some salmon in the microwave, added my last tomato and olives, and there you go. Oh, and a green apple and some tea when all was said and done. I got those enzymes folks have been suggesting. So far haven't noticed much difference.

Ran a bunch of errands - farmer's market (still no significant vegetables - when do the squash and tomatoes appear? but I did get some eggs), meat market, local produce place, then the grocery store for stuff I couldn't find everywhere else. So hot! Was happy to make it back home...

Lunch: leftover beef and veggies from last week, with paleo mayo to make it a little moister, tomato, carrots, and a green apple.

Had a nice talk with my husband, then probably what we both needed more than anything...a nap!! Oh, that was lovely. I haven't had a nap in a long, long time. We got up to go to church, but then it started just pouring down rain - I mean, monsoon time. I know, we were just looking for an excuse, right? That's what's nice about being Catholic, LOL - if you don't make it Saturday, you can go Sunday morning.

The rain is lovely - after last year's drought, I get nervous when it goes too long without rain. And we got a nice thunderstorms with it. Perhaps marriages are like that - every once in a while you need a little thunderstorm to clear the air. :) At any rate, we talked about it a little and made up. I love my husband!

Not sure what we'll have for dinner, but we need to decide soon, LOL...

A little anxious about tomorrow. Day 30. Gotta get through it even with my husband leaving...

Dinner...the steak my husband brought home plus sweet potato on the grill, strawberries with coconut butter.

I forgot to take the digestive enzymes with lunch so I took it after, then laid down with my hubby for the nap. Big, big mistake. Could feel the acid reflux and now my stomach is in agony. Had to resort to Pepto!

You HAVE to make it through Day30!

Foot issues definitely related to over use with the minimalist shoes.  It happened the first time, but in a different location on my foot.  This one is worse.  I hope it clears up soon because no exercise is going to trash my enthusiasm and my appetite for healthy food.  Maybe this time I will respond differently?  That would be awesome!  

All the best to you on your Whole55

Day 30...finally sitting down to have some significant food after cooking all morning and just nibbling on stuff here and there.

Today I made:

A batch of turkey with veggies and a batch of beef with veggies - turnips, squash, celery, and a greens mix (they were out of kale, boo) in both, and onions in the beef.

Turkey "sausage" (water, sage, thyme and salt - so easy and so tasty)

Mustard glazed chicken

Salads with spinach, cucumber, celery and tomatoes and Paleo mayo

Put together olives, carrots, jicama, and green apples

Lunch (brunch?) was mostly leftovers - spare beef and turkey and veggies from this morning, about 1/3 of my frittata thing from yesterday, finished with strawberries and coconut cream. 

Heading to evil Walmart for some staples I really need. Don't think the ice cream is going to be a temptation. I'm finally starting to feel some results in my body, and I want those bonus points on our Paleo challenge!

So...the saga continues...

:)

Archived