Day 1 - So excited! Calling other Sugarholics

LindaLee

BURPEEEEES! Oh, I miss those. I'll have to see if I can do them again in the privacy of my own home. I'm sure the dogs will love it.

I'd opt for a starchy carb instead during Whole30. I'm more a fan of whole foods rather than supplements, but that is just me. Too many ingredients in those mixes to make me comfortable.

Glad you noticed it now so you can decide what to do.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, other than the snafu with my protein powder, I've had a decent day. Stayed clean all day; fought off the temptation to just plan a cheat night on Wednesday when my husband leaves. <boo> <yay>

Went to a great workout at lunchtime...

Warmup was practicing doubleunders. I just started getting doubleunders consistently on my birthday, and today for the first time, I got two in a row! Happy about that!

Followed by 3 rounds of 5 pullups (banded, I just got those a while ago), 10 pushups, and 15 squats

Then what my coach calls "the best hamstring stretch ever."

Our strength work today was 3 rounds of 5 deadlifts at 75% of our one rep max (for me that's 100 pounds). Our style was "Navy Seals," LOL...quiet, slow and controlled. I liked it a lot! I like going slow because I can really, really focus on my form.

Our WOD was:

5 RFT

5 handstand pushups (for me, box pushups on my knees)

10 burpees

15 squats

Couldn't believe how I was still able to get my feet close to my hands on burpees even late in the workout. Also couldn't believe it when I actually finished first! (Probably because I was modifying the pushups...I know my coach is gonna make me do downward dog pushups next time)... 8:33

And back to work before my lunch was over!

Hardboiled eggs tonight to have tomorrow...will have an apple along with it...

I'm thinking hard Boiled eggs before the workout...and the protein portion of the shake (there were two formulas I was combining...one without sugar and one with....so I'll use the one without) plus an apple post workout.

This is pretty amazing: ONE DAY without raisins or nuts and my belly is considerably less bloated this morning.

Yesterday I ate this:

1 bag sauteed broccoli slaw with mushroom and proscuitto (odd breakfast!)

chicken breast with avocado-basil pesto and small amount of spaghetti squash (lunch; wasn't too hungry but forced self to eat)

2 grilled lamb chops with a ton of broccolini and asparagus sauteed in ghee and coconut oil (dinner)

1c sliced jicama for a snack before bed time

It feels AMAZING, but my problem is resisting that bite of sweet. I can tell you, the broccolini and asparagus tasted so sweet to me. Taste buds are awakening!

I'm looking forward to that day when my taste buds make the change. I do feel I'm getting better, and I think cinnamon helps the sweetness factor without actually feeding any cravings. I must say, I was quite tempted to buy a fresh pineapple the other day, but I avoided because I knew I'd probably end up eating at least half (if not all) of it at once.

PamH, nuts are a HUGE trigger food for me as well. And I always regret it. I cannot tell you how many bags of pistachios and jars of nut butter were consumed while I was unemployed earlier this year (usually accompanied by something sweet, ya know, for balance). I always find people's reactions to the amount of these foods I've eaten to be strange as well...mainly laughing or saying, "oh that's cool you can do that and stay small"...as if weight is the only factor in wellness. *sigh*

Still continuing that journey one day at a time, like any other addict.

um, while watching the news about Oklahoma, I did eat more pineapple than I planned, but, ya know, that stuff goes bad eventually!

With three scrambled eggs, mind you!

No more pineapple for me until I'm done with this whole 90(with two breaks at the 30 day point).

Lindalee - I"m not sure I'm reading your post right, but it sounds like you are doing better and better without the sugar laced powder...is that a correct interpretation?

Because of YOU, I read my protein powder label, which I knew I could not use during whole30 -

egg albumin(whites), xylitol(I knew that), natural flavor, xanthan gum, LECITHIN, stevia.

I am trying to avoid soy....because of breast health issues...and I did NOT realize it had soy in it.

In addition - I am VERY allergic to shellfish - and I just read the allergen llist....Product manufactured in a facility that processes other products which may contain.....shellfish...

Any shellfish amounts have the ability to weaken me - and actually, two supplements in the past have weakened me to the point of near death...until we checked them out.

So - NO MORE PROTEIN POWDERS FOR ME!

Lindalee - you may have changed my life for after the whole30 - I won't start leaning on those protein powders anymore!

Guest Andria

Lindalee: I'm sorry you had to ditch your protein powder as it seems like it was helping you with your workouts.

I just wanted to mention for anyone else reading, though, that protein powders are not compliant to Whole30. Mostly because there are NOT ANY with compliant ingredients but also because liquid meals are not allowed as they do not register in the brain the same way chewing solid food does. So it plays against proper hormonal signaling.

Sorry to interject, but I wanted to mention it because it seems like you were using it during your Whole30 before you realized it had non compliant ingredients.

Use low fat protein sources(the one time they don't recommend the whole egg) and starchy carb sources (not fruit) post workout.

Good luck!

I'm on Day 4 and the Sugar Demon got the better of me.. I ate 6 dates today... not to mention cooked with them to sweeten some marinara sauce... goodness gracious!!

Sugar is tempting. Sugar makes us rationalize and do crazy things. At least it wasn't processed sugar (see? rationalizing.)

Today isn't the best day. I'm hungry! I am able to resist the sugar but I keep eating chicken legs and beef stew. :)

I am so happy with my flattening stomach, that I am willing to withstand today's cravings. Part of me wishes I could have a bowl of oatmeal or handful of raisins, but I'm sticking with it!

Whoever said Whole30 was easy is nuts.

Don't QUIT!

So upset with myself...have had two days of cheats. :( :(

Okay. I'm going to shake this off. This minute is a new minute, and I can pick myself up and move on.

Day 3 - Tuesday - has to be what did it. That night, I just felt so...tearful is the only word I can use to describe it! Feeling sorry for myself, the whole 9 yards (no pun intended). It seemed like my knees and ankles had hurt forever and were never going to get better. I gave it some thought and decided I needed to take a week off from Crossfit. I've been going steadily since January, and when I talked to my coach he said it was best to do six weeks on, then one week off. I love Crossfit, but it IS hard on the body - just like any athletic activity is.

So I was feeling somewhat relieved but also depressed. I love my Crossfit family, and there's a part of me that fears if I take too much time off, I just won't go back - though I know they wouldn't let me do that, LOL.

But anyway...Tuesday night I was just feeling weepy. It was hot. I was moving some things around so I could turn on a fan in the bedroom, and I knocked the top off my Scentsy warmer. It's not like it's something super special or irreplaceable, but I just burst into tears. My husband came downstairs and was utterly bewildered (as was I) about why I was crying over something so minor.

I had a terrible time sleeping. I was at that stage in the Whole30 where you're drinking lots of water and you have to pee every other minute, it seems like. I woke up totally on the wrong side of the bed...and promptly burst into tears again when my husband did not ASK me to put his clothes in the dryer. Again, no big deal, but...

Sigh. Ice cream just looks good when everything makes me cry and it's summer which means my husband is away three days every week to be with his son, which is exhausting for him and stressful for us both...

So, here I am, with three good days and two lousy ones...but NOT GIVING UP. I've been clean now for...oh, about an hour, LOL, and I intend to stay that way. The choice to take a week of active rest is already paying off, as I can feel my joints recovering, and I admit it will be nice to have time to cook some dinner instead of rushing in after Crossfit and throwing something together. The other good news is that my mother-in-law gave me some money for my birthday, so I was able to treat myself to some things. I bought some fish oil with Vitamin D from Stronger, Faster, Healthier (love that place) and got some goodies from U.S. Wellness meats - salmon, ribeye steak, dried mulberries, and...wait for it...BACON.

So, yes, the clock is reset but I'm still determined to make it this time...hoping that being on active rest will help during those first few days when I'm always fatigued.

Yep, this stuff is hard. Especially when every other commercial is for cakes and pies and candy and such...

How's everyone else doing?

Thanks for letting me spew!

LindaLee, I'm sorry you fell off a bit, but look at you now...ready to jump back on it! Next time you start feeling the urge for sweets, think about us and write a little something on here. We've got your back! :)

Totally agree with sara lee, we're here to help each other!

Lindalee, you have several things hitting you at once, and with the emotional connections to food, it's no surprise that you were tempted. What is a surprise is that you came back here! While I was struggling yesterday, I thought, no one knows me, folks start and stop out all the time... Who cares? The answer? ME!

And for you, If you had dropped out, I would know, and I would care. The fact that at you came back, starting over, inspires me!

YOU DID IT! YOU DID NOT QUIT! That is healing in a big way! YOU GO GIRL! And rest those joints!

SaraLee, WILL DO. I think the devastating tornado in Oklahoma was part of it too...seems every month there's some unspeakable tragedy, from Sandy Hook to the Boston Marathon to this tornado. It makes you feel so sad and helpless.

SaraLee, WILL DO. I think the devastating tornado in Oklahoma was part of it too...seems every month there's some unspeakable tragedy, from Sandy Hook to the Boston Marathon to this tornado. It makes you feel so sad and helpless.

Totally agree, those tornados messed up my meal 3, in front of the tv, and much later than my plan, and maybe some of my downs can be attributed to that. These tragedies, we all know someone, if it's not us. Was so glad that my husband wasn't here, he's such an enable! " I'm sad, I want ice cream" he's a fixer, and you can't fix that type of sad, but for years, ice cream, and other stuff has numbed the sad.

We are human, and it's our heart that makes us special!

Thank you for saying you would miss me, too.

Let's introduce ourselves to each other, okay?

I'm Linda. I just turned 51. My husband and I are essentially newlyweds...we were married (second time for both of us) in October 2011. He has one son, 17, who just finished his junior year in high school. He has partial custody, so we spend every other weekend at a rental house about two hours away so we can be with him.

I've been a licensed psychologist for 12 years. I work at a state hospital in Missouri; for ten years I worked with chronic sexual offenders. I started out as a line psychologist, then Director of Psychology, then Director of Treatment. Then I decided I wanted to do something different - so I switched services, and now I'm Director of Treatment for adult psychiatric services - clients with a range of conditions, very different from what I was doing. I'm still learning the job so it's a mixture of exhilarating and frustrating.

We live in a log house on about five acres of woods. I love our house most of the time, though it has its challenges since it was originally a seasonal house. We're at the top of a very steep hill, so if it snows we have to park at the entrance to our subdivision and walk to our house (about a quarter mile). We have two aged kitties (Chaco and Maya) and a Rowdy dog (that's his name and his personality!).

I will have been Crossfitting a year in July. When I started, I could barely run and my deadlift was about 65 pounds. In March I ran my first five mile race and I've run three more 5Ks since then, and last week I finally hit my body weight deadlift at 135 pounds. I love it.

When I'm not Crossfitting, my husband and I love to be outdoors. We met building trail for the Ozark Trail Association, and though we don't get to do that as much as we used to, we do try to get put I nature as often as we can. My husband is a retired lawyer who spends his time taking care of family business and financial matters and planning the next hunting season - deer, turkey, squirrel, whatever! I love having fresh venison in the fall!

We are Catholic and attend Mass every week, though we switch churches since we're different places every other week, LOL. I sing at our hometown church.

I guess that's the beginning of me! Your turn...GO!

Totally agree, those tornados messed up my meal 3, in front of the tv, and much later than my plan, and maybe some of my downs can be attributed to that. These tragedies, we all know someone, if it's not us. Was so glad that my husband wasn't here, he's such an enable! " I'm sad, I want ice cream" he's a fixer, and you can't fix that type of sad, but for years, ice cream, and other stuff has numbed the sad.

We are human, and it's our heart that makes us special!

Thank you for saying you would miss me, too.

You're welcome Christi! <hugs>

One of my best friends also was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago and is going through chemo right now. We try to keep her spirits up with silly stuff and little gifts, but it's hard to watch the effects of the chemo on her. I've never seen someone close to me go through that... And my very best friend, who was my matron of honor, just lost her father to suicide.

Lots of emotions...none of it really mine, but it adds up, none the less...

Wah! Tears can sometimes come so easily. I've been there! You just get back up and keep going. As long as the good days outnumber the bad days you are moving forward!

Instead of taking a full week off Cross-Fit, can you go less often every other week? I think it is hard to take a full week off and keep the routine. Maybe 2 times one week and 4 times the next for a bit? How often do you go? I went 6 days a week for almost a year and burned myself out. I did much better going MWF(Saturday, too) one week and T-TR the next for a bit of time. It was tough to scale back, but my body and my family appreciated it. I honestly did not notice a change in my physique, either. I did find that I ate much, much less food the weeks I went just twice. I had myself in a vicious cycle of exercising a ton which jacked my appetite up in what I think was disproportionate amounts. Then I felt the need to exercise more, etc.

Plus, maybe don't buy the ice cream if it continues to be your downfall. At least not for the 30 days.

US Wellness bacon is yummy!

How am I doing? I made a Pakistani dish (Kima) tonight. I love it with raisins, so i added them. The sweetness was almost too much. Is that progress or sadness? :huh:

Introduction!

My name is Pam. I just turned 48 a few weeks ago. I live in Wisconsin with my husband, 3 kids and a dog/cat. We moved from the Seattle are in 2004, and I one day hope to go back that direction. My kids are all teenagers now, so I feel the need to find other places to be needed. So, I took a part time job at one of our local food co-ops this week! I have not gotten a paycheck for 14 years. Ouch. Prior to having kids, I worked in the juvenile and adult court system as a domestic violence and child abuse victim advocate, guardian ad litem (child advocate) and police officer. No desire to go back there!

I have a child with regressive Autism (NOT born that way). It is very stressful, but I have worked my butt off to help him grow to the best of his abilities. With nutritional therapy (organic and gluten free diet, mostly), supplements, prayer and some behavior therapy, he has gone from a self-contained, nonverbal 2 year old to a fully verbal, somewhat sassy, bright 12 year old. He still has some delays and deficits, but I believe he will one day be able to attend secondary school if he desires, and hopefully will find a special someone. Friends are non-existent outside of school, but right now he doesn't seem to mind. My older two are good with him and make me proud.

My husband is a physician. Tough to be married to an MD. We have been together for 26 years and married for almost 19 years. Right now is a very tough time and I'm not sure we will make it. I am trying and so is he. It has definitely impacted my relationship with food. We are in therapy, but it will be a long haul. We are still friends, which is important. He is a good man.

I foster dogs. I love them all. Right now I am caring for my 16th dog, and he might be my favorite. I drove him to meet a family tonight who might adopt. Their son has Autism, and Jordan immediately responded to him. I knew I loved this dog! It will be sad to let him go.

My plan is to start cycling outdoors again. I used to ride 100-150 miles a week before I had kids. My bike is down from the ceiling but the weather has not cooperated. I need to find ways to keep myself fit. I am in full blown perimenopause and my body is changes minute by minute!

Well, that was me. Most of me.

Pam, I think thats definitely progress!

I never have ice cream in the house if I don't intend to cheat, LOL! But when it's cheating time, I'll go to any lengths to get it, sigh. Once I get out of the grocery store without it, I'm golden. I'm glad the farmer's market is starting up, because I'll spend much less time at Walmart...and there's no ice cream at the farmers market, LOL!

I usually go four or five times a week - that's when I notice I get the maximum results and make e most progress, hence the six weeks off, one week on. I think my body needs that full week so everything gets fully recovered, you know? And I find my mood is much better when I workout more...but it's still experimentation at this point! So I may try that. I'm in both the nutrition and Crossfit for the long haul.

Wow, Pam! You are one impressive lady! That is such great news about your son. I've heard that, about the positive effects of nutrition on autism, but only in the abstract. How amazing to see it in the personal.

Relationship troubles are the worst, they really are. Good for you and your husband for going and getting counseling. So many don't, or won't, and simply give up when things start to get tough. My husband's first refused to go, didn't think there was anything she needed to work on. He tried so hard to make it work but it takes two....

Will say a prayer for your family, your marriage, your son and your puppies!

Archived