Confusion on fat servings

cafelover

Hello,

I have read part of the book (sharing it with my sister who has it on a short trip right now and took it), and I do not understand the portion sizes for fat. I downloaded the pdf that talks about portion sizes, and it mentions a handful (or two) of coconut flakes, a thumb sized serving of fat, half an avocado, etc. but the confusion lies if we're supposed to eat all of these types of fat at one meal or just choose one source of fat per meal? I know it's probably the latter, but someone else commented that once they started in taking the large amount of fat recommended by the diet, they immediately began losing weight. I have been trying to lose 12 lbs for 8 months now, and I eat a lot of healthy fats. Anyway, any clarity would be nice.

Thanks!

(here's the pdf on portion sizes)

http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

***Also, if I can throw in one other question. I have RAW protein which is a vegan protein source that is organic and contains 17 grams of protein (and 3 grams of carbs). I guess the only problem I see with it is that it comes from bean sourced protein.

• Moderators

Choose one fat source per meal. If your protein is lean, you might want to choose two fat sources to supplement.

People say all kinds of things, but if you follow the meal template, you will eventually lose weight if you have weight to lose. If you are too skinny, you will gain weight if you follow the meal template.

RAW protein is not real food. Anything that comes in powder form is not food. It is a food product and banned to Siberia during a Whole30. No protein powder is acceptable during a Whole30. The fact that its protein comes from beans also makes it unacceptable, but not being real food is the foundational issue. During a Whole30, we ask you to eat like your great grandparents did - roast, steaks, eggs, fish, thighs, breasts, vegetables, fruit... the real stuff.

Tom, I shared your site with some people on Facebook today and they were really excited. As we all browsed, I came upon your smoothies. They look great and you had such enthusiasm for your blender. Are those recipes for off-roading or do they fit somehow during a Whole30?

• Moderators

Tom, I shared your site with some people on Facebook today and they were really excited. As we all browsed, I came upon your smoothies. They look great and you had such enthusiasm for your blender. Are those recipes for off-roading or do they fit somehow during a Whole30?

I did my first Whole30 back in the wild and wooly days before smoothies were identified as an undesirable choice. I made smoothies because lots of people said they were healthy and my wife bought me a Vita-mix blender. They tasted good and I eventually learned to load them with veggies, but those were also the days when I needed to eat 4, 5, and sometimes 6 meals per day to stay satisfied. Eventually the issue with our bodies digesting smoothies faster than regular food washed through the Whole30 world and I quit making them. I've never removed any of the recipes, but I guess I should at least add a note about the issues with smoothies. I certainly don't want to encourage anyone to make them. The sad thing is that between not making smoothies anymore and getting an immersion blender, I never use my Vita-mix anymore.

By the way, I ate two meals today - 9 AM and 12:30 PM. I was still feeling full at 8 PM, but fried a plantain in coconut oil and ate it with a bottle of kombucha as my last food of the night. I feel full at 9:30 PM. It is amazing how easy it is for me to eat just 2 or 3 times per day now. Yes, I know there was no protein with my last snack, but I did eat a lot of protein at breakfast and lunch - eggs, bacon, goat curry, chicken curry, and Tandoori chicken.

I recently deleted all the smoothie recipes from my site. I had to think about it for a week, but concluded it was time to let them fade into history.

Tom,

Thanks for the response. Ummmm...I'll have to eat much less fat tomorrow because tonight for dinner I had about 8 oz of coconut milk with my chicken & broccoli and half an avocado. But I was hungry! And I still am. But I'm going on a walk instead of eating more. I realize that it will take awhile for me to feel satisfied with normal portions. I just feel like I could always eat more. Always. And shoot, now that you bring up plantains...

I know you say one to two servings of fat per meal, and I am a petite 30 year old gal, so I shouldn't feel the need to eat a truckload of fat, but sometimes I do. How do I know how much is too much? Have you seen people who pay no attention to portion size on the Whole-30 who actually gain weight?

Luckily Whole Foods is going to take back the Raw Protein I purchased, because man alive that stuff is expensive. I'll swap it for some coconut flakes and organic eggs and olives.

Thanks for the info on smoothies. I love making them because they're an easy go to meal but it makes sense why they could leave us hungry again in a few hours.

**Also, I lift weights 3X per week and am wondering what a lean easily digestible protein source is that I can take with me to eat at the gym (I usually go to class right after. Would a boiled egg fit into this category or no?)

You didn't have too much fat. You had two servings which is right in line with the template. You are speaking of canned coconut milk correct? The big milk type cartons are almost always full of junk. You should eat until you are satisfied or possibly add another meal if you truly are hungry. Fat does not make you fat.

As far as post wo, you want lean protein. My two favorites are sardines or tuna packed in water with some sweet potato or butternut squash.

• Moderators

Like Susan said, you did not eat too much fat.

Eating until satisfied is part of healthy eating. The meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - gives you a good idea about how much food to eat, but amounts have to be adjusted to appetite. And appetite is related to all kinds of things - activity levels, sleep, stress, etc.

People do sometimes eat too much and gain weight, but that is relatively uncommon. And the problem is often related to food choices like snacking on nuts where you add a lot of calories, but strangely do not feel satisfied. And then there is my issue. Back when I ran marathons, I did things like eat 2 foot-long Subway tuna sandwiches in one meal... regularly. And then when my activity level dropped, I kept eating enough to support a marathoner. I still have a tendency to eat enough to support a marathoner and will eat two plates of food when one would satisfy. But if you follow the Whole9 meal template, you/me will do fine.

The meal template shares some ideas for post-workout food. A whole egg is not a good choice because the fat content of the egg yolk slows digestion and you want fast digestion with a post-workout meal. We want you to eat egg yolks because some of the best nutrition is found there, just not as a post-workout snack. I eat tuna packed in water after workouts, but chicken breast is probably the most popular food.

Tom and Susan, What about the mercury content in tuna packed in water? Also, I do try to avoid anything canned when I can help it because of the metals from the can leaching into the food. I'm not sure if this is a valid concern or not, though. I have heard it's best to avoid canned tomatoes at all costs because of the high metal content that leaches into tomatoes.

As a tall/thin gal myself (5'10" and 150lbs as of a month ago), I have to say that I eat a TON since my W30, even though my activity level is essentially zilch due to shoulder surgery 5 weeks and 1 day ago. Unless I go off-roading too much, I don't notice any changes in my body comp or weight even though I eat enough that my husband is surprised.

The best way to keep from overeating in other types of foods that I've found is to chow down on veggies first. That way you get the bulk in your stomach, then add the protein and fat on top so your brain already is noticing that you are a little full and then gets the appropriate fat/protein signals. It keeps me from eating "too much" although my just shy of 1/2 gallon salads do turn heads in the office...

Perhaps I missed it, but where are you in your W30? I had to eat more in the beginning of my W30 (I remember one day being ravenous after lunch and chowing on a cold, leftover lamb chop while perusing the contents of my fridge!). Then things calmed down.

I haven't started yet. Trying to get myself prepared though :) Also, I really need something that is a lifestyle. Although I plan on doing the W30, I need to know how to eat after. I'm just trying to know the best nutritional practices for me. I have been dealing with a lot of stress & health issues, so that's why I'm extra cautious about everything (i.e. canned tuna and mercury content.)

Thanks and I agree that eating veggies first is probably the best way to go about feeling satisfied.

Oh, and to answer my own question, I read up that light chunk tuna has much less mercury than albacore. So, go with the light chunk.

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/Global/usa/planet3/PDFs/oceans/CATO-VI-sustainability-canned-tuna.pdf

**I have way too much time on my hands while being off for the month from grad school. :)

Tom and Susan, What about the mercury content in tuna packed in water? Also, I do try to avoid anything canned when I can help it because of the metals from the can leaching into the food. I'm not sure if this is a valid concern or not, though. I have heard it's best to avoid canned tomatoes at all costs because of the high metal content that leaches into tomatoes.

Just saw this question. You should make your own decision on the mercury issue. It's too personal imo. I honestly dont worry too much about it because I am doing so many high quality things for myself.

I have started buying the strained tomatoes in jars since Johnny pointed out the metal issue on his website, but it may not last because I miss my canned San Marzano whole tomatoes. :)

Archived