cauliflower SWYPO?

Jtandi

I personally don't see it as swypo. It's good wholesome ingredients which fit into the meal template and I could easily add that amount of cauliflower and eggs to a meal with out combining them, so unless it's going to make you want to stuff your face on them or crave *real* tortillas, I wouldn't see a problem. It's just too much hassle for me. Nature kindly grew cos lettuce just the shape I need for wraps, so I'll stick to that :)

not really a tortilla person but I think I might be able to get my kids to eat it and it would be nice for me, too. I'm trying to find some new veggie recipes and cauliflower is often mash or rice.

I don't have a problem with these. Again, they aren't trying to mimic the taste and texture of bread or a real flour tortilla... It's just another way to eat your stuff, like making a portobello mushroom bun. It's really the alternative flours that are the problem - these same tortillas made with nutrient-poor coconut flour would be a problem, as it would be designed to mimic the real deal. It's also about what you do with them - you can make a "pancake" out of eggs and a banana - healthy ingredients - but if you top it with almond butter and fresh fruit (or syrup, when not on the Whole30) you're just eating pancakes, period.

It's not always easy to come up with a "yes" or "no" on the SWYPO thing... It's great that you're asking, but ultimately, you have to decide for yourself on these things that are not clear-cut. Own your own program, you know?

Melissa

I tried making these last night after seeing this post... I didn't care for them. They reminded me of a dry omlette- very eggy, less cauliflower-tasting. Instead of using it to put food on, I broke it up and sprinkled it on the food instead for texture. If you're expecting it to taste like a tortilla, it doesn't at all...at least not to me. But I don't really care for tortillas in the first place- just he meats and veggies that usually go in them! :)

You can try it! The recipe only calls for 2 cups of riced cauliflower- it makes 6 small rounds. If you try it, let me know how it turns out. :) The texture was interesting, it was just the taste wasn't what I was expecting...And mine stuck to the parchment paper a bit, so that made it difficult.

That said- there is a link in the recipe to another recipe that adds garlic and other seasonings. That might help the taste!

I already have my riced cauli headed for a pan of onions and garlic. Since I am grilling an asian marinated flank steak, I am going to do an asian fried rice with ginger, chili flakes, coconut aminos and a little sesame oil. I will try the discs tomorrow with the other head. :)

I may have to try them but have you had cauli fried rice?? Oh my!! It is incredible. I found some raw cashews in the freezer so I used them. It's clean the fridge and don't go to the store friday. :0) I wish I had some mushrooms but thats okay.

It is amazing, especially sweated with a cube of bone broth.

I'm out of mushrooms, too. Bummer. Can I the ones growing in my yard? I'll bet your yard has more.

Funny becaused I caramelized an onion and toasted the cashews and put a spoonful of very jellied beef bone broth to help it steam. Dying over this. I had no idea.

I live in a fairly urban apt but with parks all over. However, I dont trust myself with wild mushrooms. Our season is in the fall, I believe. You just gave me a great idea. I want to take a mycology hunting class. I really love eating wild wild mushrooms.

I've tried cauliflower "rice" and mashed as a sub for potatoes, and I gotta say it was awful in both instances. I'm a decent cook and hubby is a chef and we couldn't understand how anyone could make cauliflower work in either of these ways. And once again (despite Melissa's post) I really don't get why making fake rice and fake tortillas is OK while other attempts at re-creating a carb-y item are not.

I hate it mashed. Daughter is fond of it but I dont like it. I do not consider it a substitute for rice. I consider it another way to cook cauli and I am sorry you dont care for it but I think it was delicious with everything I added to it.

I was going to take a minute and try to explain to you Melissa's take on the pancake but I am not going to go there. I understand her thinking perfectly.

For cauli mash, I have found that adding some celery root and, again, bone broth makes for a pretty fabulous side. I put it on my farmer's pie and wanted more mash, but mostly more celery root.

Looks like I need to go shopping,

For cauli mash, I have found that adding some celery root and, again, bone broth makes for a pretty fabulous side. I put it on my farmer's pie and wanted more mash, but mostly more celery root.

Looks like I need to go shopping,

I must try the cery root with it. It just seemed so wet and I used ghee AND coconut milk. It was wet as in watery.

I tried the cauliflower tortilla last weekend. It was a fair amount of work and tasted too much like cauliflower, I thought -- and I love cauliflower. I think if I had seasoned it more aggressively, for example with Indian spices, it might have scratched the dosa itch, but it did nothing for me as a tortilla. The cauliflower rice I like a lot for sauce-y meals.

I tried the cauliflower tortilla last weekend. It was a fair amount of work and tasted too much like cauliflower, I thought -- and I love cauliflower. I think if I had seasoned it more aggressively, for example with Indian spices, it might have scratched the dosa itch, but it did nothing for me as a tortilla. The cauliflower rice I like a lot for sauce-y meals.

Kew, I agree with you. The riced cauli is awesome. Soaks up and takes on the flavor of anything that it touches.

I must try the cery root with it. It just seemed so wet and I used ghee AND coconut milk. It was wet as in watery.

Susan, I only use broth most days, but occasionally use coconut oil if I dont have gravy. I only add enough liquid to get the immersion blender to process it. Cooking it a little extra also seems to help.

Archived