Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

That sounds like some sweet scooby action megmac!  Things happen quickly in Florida!

Susan, open it, we all come and work for booch :D

Booch popsicles truck running around Portland! Booch fountain for the weddings and parties! Booch flavoring workshops. Come ooon.

This sounds so awesome.  SCOBY petting zoo?  Hmmm, maybe too much.

• Like 1

Speaking of scoby action, flavors and popscles.

My yeastie friend scared me silly today. I haven't checked on her for 6 days. When I opened the top I saw a bubble, half of the scoby was filled with air (scoby air ballon anyone?). I flipped it to see closer. Holy Moly, what's going on. Secon one just got all funny and ruffled.

I tried my berry tisane. Just threw a bit in my morning glass and let steep while cooking breakfast. If that's the flavor after 20 minutes. It is sooooo intense. I am not going back to buying berries, hell no. This blend has hibiscus, currants, raisins and something else. I posted earlier. Threw some frozen booch to the grass and sipped happily.

Frozen booch = popsicle experiment. I didn't have time to play with texture, but this is what I meant when I said "grainy". I just broke this ine into pieces and added it to my glass.

post-12442-13712109103584_thumb.jpgpost-12442-13712109202961_thumb.jpgpost-12442-13712110813973_thumb.jpgpost-12442-13712110970644_thumb.jpg

yeah frozen fruit cordial comes out icey/grainy so I can see how the booch would do the same.

I drew off another litre this morning to bring to a bbq I'm going to tomorrow.

Just tasted the mango (baby food) flavoured one - fab, slight metallic taste? but yummy nonetheless.

Uhuh, why my mango failed. I should give it another try. Plain mango in that baby food, right?post-12442-13712132021787_thumb.jpg

Speaking more of berry tisane, see how dark it turned my white tea booch? Insanely intense. I think it's hibiscus. Susan, am I correct that Robin BREWS booch with it?

Of course I checked on my pet this morning before I left.  No change.

In all seriousness, I am grateful to this forum!  I would never have had the guts to try this without you guys.  It seemed totally overwhelming.  And how fortunate that we have so many different time zones involved.  I am really not one to "freak out", but I did freak out at 11:15 (EST) last night and NEEDED an answer.  Thank you Susan!

P.S.  My husband thinks I am NUTS...caught me in the playroom with a flashlight last night checking out the surface of my science project.

• Like 2

I don't see why there would be any problem with hibiscus in 1F, as long as it is pure hibiscus with no oils added to it.  Probably the worst thing that will happen is you will have a loverly pink or red SCOBY, not all bad.  I think it would be delicious!

• Like 1

It's a bit confusing tbh. I thought hibiscus is a herbal thing without caffeine or any other stuff for scoby to eat.  I will try to do a minibatch but maybe I will do half black half hibiscus. 

I posted this link a while back: from reddit, hibiscus and rosehip tea with green.

http://imgur.com/a/lPBAx?gallery

Edit: with the prettiest SCOBY I have ever seen :)

Of course I checked on my pet this morning before I left.  No change.

In all seriousness, I am grateful to this forum!  I would never have had the guts to try this without you guys.  It seemed totally overwhelming.  And how fortunate that we have so many different time zones involved.  I am really not one to "freak out", but I did freak out at 11:15 (EST) last night and NEEDED an answer.  Thank you Susan!

P.S.  My husband thinks I am NUTS...caught me in the playroom with a flashlight last night checking out the surface of my science project.

Aren't they wonderful?  It's been the same for me.  I went from never having heard of kombucha to brewing in the space of a week.  

And I'm still peering into my jar everyday with a flashlight ...  The flashlight sits beside the jar as art of the set up now.  It's fun :)

I haven't shown him for fear of unrequited love and pining.

I guess I could always make one and they could live side by side in their jars.  He needs to work on his baby-making first though.  (Is it just me or does that all seem the wrong way round?)

• Like 1

Checked on Scooby this morning. Can't help but think he looks like a jellyfish. Does that sound right? And he's turned sideways, which I've read is normal. It's hard to believe this could cover the surface and be 1/2" thick in only 8 more days. :(

My Frankie is a very busy SCOBY, always changing position!

You don't have to wait for it to get that thick megmac.  Frank wasn't even 1/4" thick when I started my first batch.  Post a picture in a few days and the gurus here will let you know when it's big enough!

• Like 1

You should wait for someone more experienced but Nadia looks thicker and spongier than Frank did when I got the go-ahead!

So I vote yes.

How is everyone getting these lovely, pale, smooth-looking SCOBYs?  Frank is such a bumpy little yeast-magnet.  He needs to work on his presentation skills.

Ah I was going to ask was I ready to start adopting out mine - the "film" on top of my bucket is now about the same thickness as your KB.

So obv because mine is in a big ol bucket the baby is bigger than if it had grown in a jar. So how do I give pieces away? Tear it? (urghhh) I can't use a scissors on it (metal!)

Yesyes, Kb. Nadia is ready!

Derval, yep, just gently pull them apart.

Btw, I was at the party last night. It was about fashion blahblah (look out for pictures of stunning Viktor&Rolf porclelain dolls). There was a corner if experimental designers. Guess what I see there? post-12442-13713056157347_thumb.jpg

Everyone was grossed out. I was touching and smelling it. Designer was amazed and then I showed her my scobies on my phone. We were chatting about them forever and then I noticed faces of my friends who were waiting for me. Needless to say they are not aware if my yeast growing hobby. Haha

• Like 1

Derv you may want to wait a while only because you will have a brew that happens faster with 2 working SCOBYs. Just a thought. Or if someone is waiting for it, you can give that one away and you'll have another in no time.

Sophie, have you seen my scoby pics yesterday? Anything but pale and lovely :D

I had seen them, but I'd forgotten!  Thanks for the reminder :)  I have to learn to love Frank as he is  :wub: